Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 02:12 PM

61 posts, read 89,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
nanny states
It has nothing to do with "nanny states" but thanks for your obviously unbiased opinion on the matter

New Jersey's ban on self-serve gas dates back to the 1949 Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act, which cited, among other things, fire hazards and exposure to toxic fumes, “particularly in the case of pregnant women.”

It's an outdated law probably related to when gas had lead in it, although it's obviously still not especially healthy to handle and I wouldn't want that job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 02:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
back then restaurant waiters will take your card to the backroom and charged more than your purchase.
those 99 cents only stores run by immigants do the same,in the back room.
An UK grocery store has a card reader made in China,the security guard standing outside the store always notice around noon,there are busy traffics ,someone is dialing a nearby telecommunication yower and sending info to Pakistan?

He called Scotland yard,it turns out the card reader has a chip which will record the cc number of grocery shoppers(every 10 of them) and send them abroad.
Never say if the chip was placed there all along or the repair/service man placed it,it happens to some of our stores as well,it was inserted by a repair man.

Old 03-27-2022, 02:34 PM

68 posts, read 28,726 times
Is it just me or do most thieves work as cashiers?

I had a gas cashier short-change me $10. A supermarket cashier stole $10, another one stole $30 store credit. A fast food cashier shorted me $10 also. Happened numerous other times but for smaller amounts. Partially my fault for not counting change right then and there.

Old 03-27-2022, 02:35 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acer77 View Post

I had a gas cashier short-change me $10. A supermarket cashier stole $10, another one stole $30 store credit. A fast food cashier shorted me $10 also. Happened numerous other times but for smaller amounts. Partially my fault for not counting change right then and there.
Never had it happen to me.

Old 03-27-2022, 03:00 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:

A cashier thief usually shorts the register not the customer. They get a regular item and know how much it is with tax and then short the register the same amount.

Old 03-27-2022, 03:28 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Who goes IN to gas stations nowa daze?

Old 03-27-2022, 04:53 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
One good thing about having mandatory full-serve is you don't have to worry about your CC being skimmed. I went to fill up one late evening and paid at the pump with a debit card (store was closed). Everything seemed fine except for this strange car with tinted windows that was parked next to the store (should've taken a photo of the license plate#) and went on my way.

A week later, I decide to check my bank account and was horrified to see several charges from a Target store next town over that I had never been to for charges totaling over $500. Thieves had skimmed my card with a device installed in the gas pump, made a duplicate card and went on a shopping spree. I did eventually get my money returned thanks to fraud protection on my card but took 2 months and lots of headache.

Now I only use pre-paid card with just enough balance to cover gas and nothing else.

That happened to me years ago. Only I used my debit card! They bought 2 last-minute one-way tickets to Santiago, Chile to the tune of $2600.00. I didn't find out until a check bounced several days after. Luckily my bank (was Commerce Bank then) was great. Quite obviously I wasn't in Chile, lol. They put the money back in my account the next day.

Then I started using cash back credit cards, only I treat it as a debit and deduct it from my checkbook immediately so I can pay in full. Now though I mainly get gas at a Conoco on the route to/from work, and I got their credit card. If I use their card and pay through the app, I save 5 cents a gallon. If I use the card without the app I save 3 cents a gallon.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:28 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
The one time I suffered a credit card breach, it was at a gas station. I tried to pay with an Amex, they had a problem, Discover, same thing. Finally used a MC I had just gotten, went through. I was on a trip. When I got home, the CC company called and asked if I had bought $700 worth of videos online. I was able to tell them the ONLY place I had used that card was at that one gas station in Hazard KY. I imagine it made their job easy.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:20 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
LOL. From what I observe, mostly some real winners getting their soda, cigarettes, and/or lottery tickets.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:32 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
um, everyone?

I guess there might be those who do their business in the bushes on road trips.

Most of the convenience stores in my area are generally quite nice, so there's no stigma attached to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive