Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 11:36 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times

Advertisements

I went to the local Walmart auto service center to drop off some used motor oil this morning. I do my own oil changes, and Walmart lets me dump the used oil with minimal hassle or wasted time. Normally, I have to wait a couple of minutes for a mechanic to come outside and open up the waste oil dump, but today all the mechanics were lounging around the shop. No vehicles were being serviced - kind of a surprise since they are normally busy at 10 am on a nice weekday morning.

After my used oil got dumped, I asked the mechanic why the place was empty. The answer floored me. He said about half the customers at the Walmart auto center are buying tires and have the tires installed. However, for many weeks they have been out of stock of the balancing weights that are mounted on rims - obviously a key item that you can't do without for a safe and complete tire install job. It may take many more weeks before a shipment of tire balance weights arrive! So, they have plenty of tires in stock, but can't do any tire installations because of the balance weights!

Anyone else heard of this? I have heard of chip shortages and wire harness shortages for new cars, but low tech stuff like rim balancing weights? Walmart has more buying clout than almost anyone on earth besides Amazon, so it is amazing they can't get a supply of these little weights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 01:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
There have been a lot of spot shortages of many things related to the pandemic, the "great resignation" and the Ukraine War.
Since about 2010 lead tire balancing weights have been banned, like lead gun shot. Tire balancing weights are now made of Zinc.

Zinc comes from over 50 countries with Canada being the leading producer, followed by Russia, Australia, Peru, United States and China. That being the case, it's not surprising that with the war going on some issues with zinc products are happening.

I noticed that both Harbor Freight and Grainger sell them. If I needed tires I would probably go buy a bunch of them and then trade for part of the installation cost.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:33 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
I never balance my tires. I think it's a useless expense. The damn thing weighs 20lbs or more, a 2 oz weight isn't going to cause much wiggle. I have a tire machine in my shop and in over 20 years of doing my own tire work I've never had a vibration issue from a tire mis-balance.

You might just skip the balance and come in later if the tires do shake.

Old 04-22-2022, 06:09 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I never balance my tires. I think it's a useless expense. The damn thing weighs 20lbs or more, a 2 oz weight isn't going to cause much wiggle. I have a tire machine in my shop and in over 20 years of doing my own tire work I've never had a vibration issue from a tire mis-balance.

This is completely wrong.........I've seen a tire "hop" on the balancer and after a weight is installed it spins perfectly, no hop.

Old 04-22-2022, 06:14 AM

10,842 posts, read 4,521,326 times
Quote:

its not the static unbalance, its the dynamic. centrifugal force is a biotch...

Old 04-22-2022, 07:43 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Balance weight shortage. I have heard it all now.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This is completely wrong.........
The tires on all of my cars for the last 20 years would disagree.

Back in the day (late 70's early 80's) we never balanced the tires on race cars either. That's when I knew it wasn't really necessary.

Last edited by tommy64; 04-22-2022 at 08:45 PM..

Old 04-23-2022, 05:37 AM

6,432 posts, read 3,137,370 times
Quote:

Back in the day (late 70's early 80's) we never balanced the tires on race cars either. That's when I knew it wasn't really necessary.
I never balanced the tires on my race car, either, but race tires are a LOT lighter that your average "passenger car, steel belted radial". Secondly, a race car transmits so much vibration throughout the car, that a slight imbalance, even at 100MPH would be barely noticeable. And secondly, race tires have a VERY short usable life, and more often than not, are hand mounted, right at the track, so there's no place to balance them.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Balance weight shortage. I have heard it all now.
You got THAT right!!

Old 04-25-2022, 05:13 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:

Ok. 70s/80s has nothing to do with the last 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyiw-Dqc7PM

Old 04-25-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok. 70s/80s has nothing to do with the last 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyiw-Dqc7PM
The tire wear in this video has nothing to do with balance. Wear on one outer edge as this looks like it was on a misaligned front end. Either toed out or negative camber.

Why would a balance issue cause fairly even wear on one edge of the tire?

Bear in mind that tire shops get paid to sell any service they can get you to buy. $10 valve stems, $20 spin balance, 'you need shocks/struts', it's disgusting. The only thing more scammy than a tire balance is to pay a shop to sipe (google it) your tires. Lots of shops do this kind of stuff, and they talk down to you like you're a simpleton if you even question them. (It's why I do my own tire work. I buy tires online and do 'em myself)

EDIT:
I just read the youtube comments and everyone says the same thing I did.

Last edited by tommy64; 04-25-2022 at 07:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive