Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 09:08 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,590,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
During transport on a container ship across the ocean, and on a car carrier across states, it is common for tires to be inflated to max pressure. Then, the stealership is supposed to deflate the tires to normal operating pressure as part of its car prep.

Drive the car 25 miles or so (after having verified correct tire pressure) and the tire pressure monitoring system should self-adjust & the indicator light should turn off all by itself. Check the manual about doing a reset another way.

If, after the above, the light is still on, then its time to have the monitors at each of the 4 wheels replaced.

A side note: the usual trigger for the light is a significant difference between tire pressure of the two tires at the front OR the two tires at the rear, not a difference between the front and rear.

You don't understand how these systems work. She said the light was FLASHING. That has nothing to do with tire pressures and indicates that the system is faulty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 09:11 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,590,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Not stupid reply. How is it a stupid reply for someone to TELL YOU WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE VEHICLE AND HOW TO GET IT FIXED?

(See, if you can shout, we can too.)

Of course you've got to decide whether this issue will be covered in what paper-thin wispy little warranty you might have gotten with the purchase of the car. You may want to consider your chances of success there versus just taking thing to a tire shop and being done with the problem.

The chance that a 2 psi excess pressure will trip a TPMS is basically zero. Or are you talking about the "max pressure" stamped on the side of the tire? Don't inflate to that, inflate to the correct pressure on the sticker on the door jamb.

She said the light was flashing. That has nothing to do with tire pressures and indicates a fault in the system.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:18 AM

5,455 posts, read 6,047,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Take it back to where you bought it.
Why do you want to take it to Toyota? They are going to charge you for the repair. It's a simple fix.
If you're such a smart cookie, why did you accept delivery with a tpms light on?
This is the correct answer. ^^^^^^

Old 05-07-2022, 09:34 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
She said the light was flashing. That has nothing to do with tire pressures and indicates a fault in the system.
Yes, and the earlier poster indicated that a fix can be had by taking the car to a tire shop and having the sensors replaced (of course it's possible the problem is not a faulty sensor but something in the TPMS itself, but I'd bet it's a bum sensor).

She can try to fight it out with her used car lot to get them to do the repair (bonne chance!) or just bite the bullet and get 'er done.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:28 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflag71 View Post
Financed a used car yesterday

Vehicle was delivered this evening with tire indicator light flashing then on.
I checked tire pressure was over by 2 psi in both rear tires and the plates were still on the vehicle. The registration was correct. The manual did not say anything about overinflated tires just to take to Scion dealer if it is a flashing light.

These clowns are a Dodge dealership out in La Mesa. I would like to take the vehicle to a Toyota dealer for this issues since they know the vehicle better.

I want to call Toyota service and ask what to do. I will find the best rated one.

Thanks for any advice! I am a girl and guys don't know I am smarter than the Average bear, or they just do not care.

The last is insulting to us "girls" who actually know something about cars.

Old 05-07-2022, 01:38 PM

798 posts, read 502,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
This is the correct answer. ^^^^^^
The vehicle came with a 3 year 36K warranty. Doesn't that count towards this issue with the indicator light?
I should not have to pay for any repair on a vehicle that was just delivered to my driveway, correct?

Or have times changed? Pirate Daze?

I am NOT driving it with the old plates on it. I do NOT want to invite cops. They forgot to remove the plates.

Old 05-07-2022, 01:49 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Quote:
The vehicle came with a 3 year 36K warranty. Doesn't that count towards this issue with the indicator light?
I should not have to pay for any repair on a vehicle that was just delivered to my driveway, correct?

I am NOT driving it with the old plates on it. I do NOT want to invite cops. They forgot to remove the plates.

What does the warranty cover? Most do not cover replacement parts for things that can fail due to normal usage, like TPMS monitors. Have you read the warranty?

In the amount of time it took you to complain about the plates, you could have taken them off with a screwdriver.

Old 05-07-2022, 01:55 PM

5,455 posts, read 6,047,094 times
Quote:

If you bought it used from a non-original dealership then I would take it back to them first. They were the one's that delivered it with the trouble indicated.
Correctly, you should have noted it at delivery and ask the person conducting the delivery to remedy the situation prior to driving off with the vehicle.

BUT, yes if the vehicle is still covered under the 3/36 warranty, the original manufacturing dealer should honor the service work.

In summary: If it were me, I'd go to the purchasing dealer and request the trouble be rectified. If I received no satisfaction from them I would proceed to the vehicle manufacturer's dealer and report the issue for repair at their facility under the original 3/36 warranty.

Old 05-07-2022, 02:03 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Regardless what else they do, someone who claims to be "smarter than the average bear" would get the female chip off their shoulder and not snark the social media strangers who bothered trying to help them. They wouldn't lie, claim any advice will be appreciated, but then turn around and bite the hand that fed them. Cave bear notwithstanding...

The bear would:

1. Carefully inspect the car before accepting delivery.

The next step is sort of multiple choice:

2a. Refuse delivery of a car that is not in the same condition it was when it was purchased.

Or,

2b. Accept the car, but immediately re-read their purchase contract to see what if any warranties the dealer offers. They'd also check what if any manufacturer warranties might still be in effect for that specific Scion.

3. The bear would then pick up the phone and call the dealer that sold it to them.

4. They would also create a plan B for what they'll do if they don't trust the used car dealer as far as they can throw them. They'd find out what that flashing indicator light actually means by digging into the owner's manual or doing some online research about that specific Scion year and model. If they don't get enough detailed information there, they'd call a Scion dealership.

5. Finally, they'd contact a reputable repair shop that services Scion and arrange for them to replace/repair whatever is faulty. If a manufacturer's warranty is still in place, they'd take it to a Scion dealer. If not, they'd take it to some other shop. Might be another dealer, might be an independent.

OK, I realize bears, even smart ones, don't tend to be aerospace engineers, but IMHO this isn't rocket science.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-07-2022 at 02:39 PM..

Old 05-07-2022, 02:21 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Pressure indicators do not monitor the pressure but the velocity of the tire.

some possible answers:
1. one or more tires are "different" from the other tires velocity or specific to that car. The "different" could be tire wear, inflation, different tire manufacturer/tread.
2. battery of the tire device is low
3. the car's computer system, may need a reset--dealer, repair shops or most tire shops can do this, but not always.

if the tires are holding the recommended pressure and all the same tire style and wear, the problem is 2 or 3; with 3 being the cheaper option.

you can reasonable ignore the pressure light for 1 or 2. After all, the auto world went 100 years with out tire pressure indicators.
YTMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive