U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:12 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,509,306 times

Advertisements

With a base price of around $11,500 and EPA gas mileage of 33 city 41 highway (but, it requires 91 Octane Fuel), is anyone thinking about buying one of these cars?

I have a real concern about the weight / size. Just yesterday, we were having some severe wind gusts and a lady in a Smart Car was literally blown off the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:29 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,914,901 times
Other than for parking I don't think it's worth it. MB has been losing BILLIONS on this unit for the last 10 years. Maybe GM will buy the company, they can always be counted on to throw money down a rat hole.

There are better deals/bang for the buck, with proven companies who have extensive dealer locations and a long history of proven quality.

Being blown off the road doesn't mean much, lots of 18 wheeler dumped over in norther CO today, may have just been a function of not knowing how to drive in the wind.

I don't think I'd want to drive a smart on the highway, but around town, so-so.

golfgod

Old 05-22-2008, 05:49 PM

7,972 posts, read 16,166,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
With a base price of around $11,500 and EPA gas mileage of 33 city 41 highway (but, it requires 91 Octane Fuel), is anyone thinking about buying one of these cars?

I have a real concern about the weight / size. Just yesterday, we were having some severe wind gusts and a lady in a Smart Car was literally blown off the road.
Sorry, Greatday . . . my very limited experience with The Smart Car tells me DEFINITELY NOT SMART.

Possibly ok for running quick errands around town but that is obtainable with an electric golf cart for much less money and no gasoline required at all. Taking a Smart Car on the Freeway is probably only one notch safer than a MoPed.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:52 PM

545 posts, read 1,289,770 times
I think the SmartCar can only gain in popularity if gasoline goes up alot in price. I wonder what insurance is like on the SmartCar ? Do Insurance Companies see the small size as a higher risk ???

Old 05-22-2008, 05:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,509,306 times
I must say, I was really surprised when I saw the 91 Octane requirement as well -

Kinda does not help reduce overall costs ($$$'s)

Old 05-22-2008, 06:12 PM

20,291 posts, read 11,485,808 times
I think the term might be marketing scam. Rember way back in the late 1970's the electric cars? Many bought into that scam. Tiny little cars max speed 35mph or so. Unreliable but they were the rage.
These smart cars are a good idea but very poor delivery

Old 05-22-2008, 06:15 PM

5,112 posts, read 12,122,186 times
they were originally designed for european markets, which are much more urban and with smaller roads and less parking. Not great for most places in the US, but decent if you're 100% enclosed in an urban area

Old 05-22-2008, 06:30 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,874,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sorry, Greatday . . . my very limited experience with The Smart Car tells me DEFINITELY NOT SMART.

Possibly ok for running quick errands around town but that is obtainable with an electric golf cart for much less money and no gasoline required at all. Taking a Smart Car on the Freeway is probably only one notch safer than a MoPed.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.
Some idiot got killed the other night here when he got on the highway driving a "motorized bicycle". Real smart........ I feel for the person driving the car that hit him.

I'd NOT put my kids in one of those. I also would not get in one as I DO want to be around as my kids grow up. Maybe fine in small resort areas that one only travels on small "town" roads much like a golf cart. For normal everyday driving in a big city - NO WAY!

I can see where one of these would get blown off the road in high winds. YIKES!! Yes, 18-wheelers get blown over as well in very high winds and it has nothing to do w/ one "knowing how to drive in the wind". When they are lightweight (an empty trailer is pretty "light") and going over an overpass or an elevated highway or out in the open plains w/ high winds they are VERY suspectible to blowing over. There is nothing to learn to prevent this other than just not driving in very high winds. Then again they can still get blown over sitting still in high winds.

I'd say no to the Smart Car. That 91 Octane is the MOST expensive fuel there is. OUCH!! They have raised the prices on the premium fuel moreso than they have regular unleaded.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:44 PM

678 posts, read 1,890,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
I think the SmartCar can only gain in popularity if gasoline goes up alot in price. I wonder what insurance is like on the SmartCar ? Do Insurance Companies see the small size as a higher risk ???
Forget buying Car Insurance if you own one.
Buy Life and accident Insurance instead.

This is definately not a Smart Choice if you place any value on your life and well being.
If a Big Truck makes contact he probably won't even know he hit something..
Consider yourself Road Kill.

It's not just survival of the fittest anymore....It's also survival of the smartest.

Lets see now.....I wonder if my peekaneese could whip my neighbors Pit bull?

Silverfox

Old 05-22-2008, 06:57 PM

5,231 posts, read 7,752,124 times
Funny you ask this as I ran into a Canadian this past weekend who has a smart car. Up there they only run on diesel. He said the thing got 71 mpg but I don't know that I believe that. They are certainly simple and small, but I don't see that the mileage (30 let's say) is much better than say a Toyota Corolla, which certainly would withstand impact much better than the smart car. They are, apparently, very big in Canada. He (the Canadian was also a big floored that we down here "are still using natural gas") uhm...whatever that means. It's not like they're all pumped up on electric or solar cars up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive