Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:04 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post

We call the cheap job a "twenty foot" paint job. They look good from twenty feet, but don't walk any closer...!
I have seen some where they didn't even bother to remove some black trim or emblems, they just painted right over them. Those cheap paint jobs tend to have a problem with "orange peel" too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 10:41 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliedrefuseworker View Post
Have any one had or known anyone to have body work done by Maaco? If so, what was the end results?
Interesting question, Allied . . . exactly what are you having painted?

After researching for a Fresh-Up Paint Job for my Jeep a few years ago, I uncovered a few "horror stories" from Maaco customers. "Orange Peeling" and overspray were probably the two major issues.

Probably the phrase, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR is the "bell ringer" here since a paint job can run from a few hundred dollars all the way to many thousands of dollars.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:04 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,910 times
I remember when I was 15 years old.....back in 1951.
Sears sold a "Paint Job in a Can"
It was an oil based enamel ready to apply.
It was applied with the applicator which was kinda like an Ice scraper with a mop like material on the end.
I painted my aunts old Nash in one day.
Thank God the wind wasn't blowing or it would have had a non skid shinny finnish.

It still looked better then most "Oh Oh Maaco" jobs I have seen.

Of course I was a specially gifted child. In my later years I found myself applying $8/10,000 job Polyurathene finishes on small boats to 24 ft..

Silverfox

Old 05-26-2008, 12:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I saw a paint job done there. Cheap but really horrible. It didn't last eihter because of the paint quality and prep.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:53 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
It's a mixed bag.

Many years ago, i had a doorlock punched-out and some door damage from a theft. They did a fantastic job on the sheetmetal and the paint!

More recently, i had a rear 1/4 panel repair done(different car). The sheetmetal work was level, but the paint work was not too great(wavy, uneven, slightly off-shade and oversprayed to the rear bumper).

For spot painting, i'd only recommend them if it's an easy color to match(like white, which technically isn't a color. LOL).

Old 05-26-2008, 06:49 PM

354 posts, read 2,075,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting question, Allied . . . exactly what are you having painted?
I got rid of my 91 camry work beater for a 91 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 2.9V6 and it have rust around the rear wheel well. But I decided to cover the wells with the bushwacker wheel flares all around than to get a crappy paint job over the entire truck. The paint is pretty decent for a truck of it age. Its not peeling or crackling just the rust bothers me.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:20 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Anyone ever dealt with Earl Scheib?

My dad told me of countless Earl Scheib fix it stories of him fixing what they screwed up on.

But he'll paint and car, any color for....what was it...? $99.....?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Smart decision, because without extensive metal replacement, paint over rust wouldn't last you very long. The proper way to get rid of rust is to cut out all rusted areas and replace with new metal. The flares are a good inexpensive cure-all, which will last longer than painting over the rust.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:15 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Long story short, if I was looking at an older used car, "Fresh Maaco paint job" in the ad would probably be reason enough that I wouldn't even call, much less go look at the car. Maybe people with poor vision think Maaco's paint jobs look good. I have painted cars before and the work does not measure up, also it makes me think "what are they trying to hide?"

A buddy had his '59 Impala done to the tune of $1200, it was a damn mess. An overall paint job, much less a color change, is a *lot* of work to get right.

Better to go with the "rat rod" look of black primer...IMHO.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
I think Maaco paint jobs are good for when you're trying to sell a car and need it to look good long enough to make the sale.

I think they're also good for when you want to make a beater vehicle look good again, but since it's a beater you don't want to put a ton of $$ into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive