Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:45 PM

354 posts, read 2,069,516 times

Advertisements

Have any one had or known anyone to have body work done by Maaco? If so, what was the end results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:04 PM

5,640 posts, read 24,863,759 times
I had paint work done there once... I think it will depend on the shop with both good and less good. The work I had done was adequate, not great but probably fair for the price.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:17 PM

545 posts, read 2,037,105 times
I had my work van repainted and the rear bumper replaced. The work was alot of value for the money . Maaco was less than half the price of other Paint Body Shops. They did get some overspray on things like the door weatherstripping but it came off very easy with gasoline. I wouldnt take a decent car to Maaco but a work van or a cheap car I wouldnt hesitate. You can also pay a bit extra and get an additional coat of color applied if you want a more durable finish. Ive heard a few horror stories with Maaco, but, the one closest to me was alright to deal with.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:49 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,296,268 times
i say it depends on the shop and the people working there, my Dad got his truck painted at one and some of the paint fell off, you could tell they had painted it when it was damp, they wouldn't make it good, the manager kept saying it was my Dads fault. Lesson learned.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:25 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,847,558 times
Believe Maco is a franchise operation. I had a car painted by the local shop and the finish was exquiste,never peeled,cracked and had a shine for the two yrs I had it. Never had to wax. They use a clear on the final spray and gives a sheen look. The paint booth is a closed in booth. A little water on the floor to absorb any dust particles along with a fan to suck out any mist. The hand never touchs the body as oil from the skin will cause peeling/flaking. They use a air hose and CLEAN cloth to final wipe off before putting in the booth. Steve

Old 05-24-2008, 11:27 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,476,597 times
Yes, it probably depends on the individual shop. But, overall, Maaco offers cheap paint jobs and you get what you pay for. I got "the paint job from hell" and it's flaking off badly two years later. On top of that, they didn't deliver when they promised (I dropped it off before getting back into my big truck for three weeks...) AND the green Ford F150 color they applied had too much "blue" in it. If you're going to get rid of the vehicle quickly, maybe it's ok. But "Uh-oh, I got Maaco" is the slaogan we use around here...

Old 05-24-2008, 01:07 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,819,398 times
A decent job is all in the preparation, and quality of materials. If you want the basic job, they just scuff it up and spay it. It is fine for a work truck, or an old junker that needs some freshing up. If you pay more, they do better prep work and the job comes out better. Each jump in cost, you get a little more prep work, and better materials
Even their best job doesn't compare to a quality body shop, but they do have their place.
Macco manufactures their own paint. They will paint a car for less than a quality shop pays for good paint and material. There is a reason they can charge less, you aren't getting as much!!
I managed a fleet of vehicles for a number of years. If we wanted to make an old truck look better, a Macco type shop was used, due to price and expected results. If it was a nice vehicle used my office personnel or sales staff, we wouldn't consider anything less that a top quality shop. You can get a Macco job for around $300. A good shop will cost up to $2000.00 or more. You better believe for that much difference there is a vast difference in the quality.
I would rather drive an older vehicle with a fading paint job, than the same vehicle with a cheap paint job.
We call the cheap job a "twenty foot" paint job. They look good from twenty feet, but don't walk any closer...!

Old 05-24-2008, 06:29 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,701,804 times
Never had them do a vehicle but I have heard if you pay enough they'll do a good job. Otherwise all they do is a quick tape and spray. Nothing more. That's why they offer to paint your car so cheap.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:06 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,476,597 times
I paid for their best "Presidential" paint job; $1200... And it still was AWFUL!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:01 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,635,890 times
Worked with a guy who had his car painted there. He did most of the prep work himself. Removed trim, repaired and sanded. It looked good when finished. His thought was that he had the knowledge and equip to prep but not paint. If you want something done right, do it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive