U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 AM

33,256 posts, read 27,250,049 times
The problem is horses eat even when they are not pulling anything. If they are, they eat more. Hay around here is $4-5 a bale. Gasoline is cheaper per hp-hr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 12:13 PM

3,544 posts, read 8,829,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The problem is horses eat even when they are not pulling anything. If they are, they eat more. Hay around here is $4-5 a bale. Gasoline is cheaper per hp-hr.

ha ha ha well said ,very funny though.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:18 PM

48,548 posts, read 44,620,692 times
gas prices not goin down. they took our cheese buddy. gas prices tip of the ice berg. get ready for some real change. we as americans will soon get the opportunity to prove once again who we are. if hillary had made the white house might have stopped the war and got a few more years of the good life, oh well.
the diet will start early. if you think this is a lil dip in the road, that would be like seeing the sahara 1st time & thinkin its a lil sand trap b4 9th hole green.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:29 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,662,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Forget the horse this is more my style...

An ostrich would do great for road rage. Ever seen an angry ostrich?

Old 05-29-2008, 12:34 PM

3,544 posts, read 8,829,243 times
OMG LMAO THAT IS REALLY FUNNY

Old 05-29-2008, 12:51 PM

33,256 posts, read 27,250,049 times
Kind of like an angry rooster but bigger? Remember the dinosaurs didn't die out but the survivors evolved into birds. Angry ostrich - no thanks.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:31 AM

21 posts, read 35,894 times
Default 3. Its not 10k more? They use pounds in the UK and euros in other parts of europe which is worth 2x-3x more then the dol

# 1 Natural gas has doubled in the last year.

# 2 you are probably correct.

#3 I was converting prices to the US dollar. Pound is around $1.97and the Euro is not worth 2 or 3 times the dollar, in 2002-2003 when we were there it was $.82 to .97, now it is $1.56 for a Euro. Other parts of Europe varied, Czech Republic, Croatia, Poland things were much cheaper, but don't remember what the exchange rate was in 2002-2003.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:51 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,511,581 times
Beer cheaper than gas! Drink don't drive!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:02 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,511,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
We are sitting on a large deposit of shale oil but with all the environmental issues, it's expensive to tap and refine here. Building a new refinery in this country is cost prohibitive due to legislation. While tapping our reserves and building new refineries will help with supply, it won't result in a price drop. The oil companies will need to recoup the cost of getting the oil out of the ground and processing it.

Get used to high fuel prices, they're here to stay. The good news is, as they develop alternative fuels, and new technologies, those vehicles and fuels should become cheaper. But that will take time. For now, we're stuck paying the piper because we kept on driving SUV's and didn't buy the hybrids and alternative fuel vehicles.

I think we will see fuel economy go up in new vehicles but it will be years before the average American has something in their driveway that gets great gas mileage. For now, it's either pay up front when you buy the vehicle or pay at the pump.

I drive a Windstar that only gets about 19 MPG and I'm not trading it in any time soon because I'd pay more in a car payment than I'm paying at the pump. (when I bought it, I worked 1.7 miles from home (unemployed like half of Michigan right now) so I wasn't worried about mileage). When I do buy a new vehicle, I'll have to weigh whether the increased car payment is worth the increased gas mileage like the rest of America.
Yup we're the Saudi of coal (which can be refined to oil), oil shale and perhaps corn, I'm sure we can do more than just buy dirty oil from the dirty saudis. I drive a Mazda3 btw, I get 400 miles to 12 gallons. Was gona get a SUV hybrid but I still get more mileage than a hybrid!!! Unfortunately you do need an SUV/Truck where I live about 8000ft in elevation in the Rockies, 1 mile of driveway to plow during the winters.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:52 PM

37 posts, read 78,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
As individuals, check your tire pressure, most "non-car-people" don't keep up with that, put in what it says on the door jamb, and maybe 2-4 PSI more than that, see how this works. Don't get carried away. Tune up items.
A lot of cars seem to have under inflated tires. Mine lose pressure easily, so I make sure to keep their PSI high. Ever since I've started doing that, it seems like I'm getting significantly better gas mileage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive