U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2008, 03:00 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,078,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
OPEC sells oil for $136.00 a barrel.
OPEC nations buy U.S. grain at $7.00 a bushel.
Solution: Sell grain for $136.00 a bushel.
Can't buy it? Tough! Eat your oil!
Ought to go well with a nice thick grilled filet of camel ass!!!

only problem with that is we tried it in the 70's with the soviets on human rights. They just bought from others that were our supposed allies for a cheaper price. It in the end only hurt our farmers. One of carter's big ideas like so many failures.Farmers are making a killing now with selling corn to make fuel mandated by teh governamnt. It takes almost as much toehr energy to convert it ;large subsideses and e85 gets 27% less milage from a tank by independent test by consumer reports in the same flex-fuel vehicles. Why woory about the energy lobby it seesm the farm lobby has total conrol ove r both parties.record profiuts and a huge increase in subsidises in teh new farm bill ; They even ahd the power to override a veto. Taht that is apowerful speacil interest group.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 12:20 AM

630 posts, read 2,402,800 times
Default Speaking of corn, how bout this for an investment....

CHICAGO - Two of America's oldest agricultural companies laid the foundation for a new $30 billion-a-year ag and food colossus Monday with the announcement that Bunge Ltd. is buying Corn Products International Inc. in a $4.4 billion stock deal.

While neither boasts a brand name universally known to consumers, the combination will vault White Plains, N.Y.-based Bunge into the Fortune 100 by adding Corn Products' sweeteners, starches and other ingredients to its portfolio of agribusiness, fertilizer, edible oil and milling products.

Bunge, which also agreed to assume $414 million of Corn Products' debt as part of the deal, hopes the acquisition will help provide a buffer against volatile commodity prices by branching into another area as well as a healthy cash flow.
The global market for starches and sweeteners alone is growing about 5 percent each year, and Corn Products has some of the biggest beer and food makers in the world as clients.

"Both of us look at this as an ag and food company," Sam Scott, chairman, president and CEO of Westchester, Ill.-based Corn Products International, said in an interview.

The news sent the companies' stocks in opposite directions. Shares of Corn Products rose $7.85, or 18.3 percent, to $50.75 after reaching a 52-week high of $54.96 earlier in the session. Bunge shares fell $11.47, or 9.4 percent, to $110.70, although remaining up more than 30 percent from a year ago.

Corn Products shareholders will get Bunge stock worth $56 for each Corn Products share under terms of the deal, a 31 percent premium to Corn Products' closing share price of $42.90 on Friday.

The deal has been approved by the boards of the two companies, and is expected to close in the fourth quarter subject to approval by regulators and shareholders of both companies.

Once it closes, Corn Products stockholders will own about 21 percent of the enlarged Bunge.

The world's leading oilseed processing company and one of the top sellers of bottled vegetable oils worldwide, Bunge is currently No. 255 on Fortune's list of largest U.S. companies with $26.3 billion in revenues last year. But as a middleman in the food chain, it has little control over the pricing of the products it buys and sells.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Bunge(Bungie) is one of our suppliers at work. We use their corn meal to make cheese curls and cheese puffs!

Old 07-01-2008, 02:34 PM

21 posts, read 35,389 times
Default It gets twice the mileage for two main reasons.

The Imperial gallon is no longer legal in the United Kingdom for trade or public administration purposes, but it is used colloquially (and in advertising) for the fuel consumption (inverted) figures, in miles per gallon (elsewhere in Europe, the effective fuel consumption is most often advertised in litres per 100 km).

When we purchased gasoline in UK it was in litres. A US gallon equals 3.785411784 liters, so you are getting less than 1 gallon of gasoline and the current price in UK is 199.9 Pounds or rounded off 2 Pounds per litre,
which is about $8.79 a US gallon. These figures were from June 16th.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:36 PM

47,976 posts, read 43,453,076 times
no they will not.
have a good 4th july, stay safe

have a flower

pdclilpart.com
free clipart

Old 07-01-2008, 05:19 PM

439 posts, read 814,277 times
Well a plus to high gas prices, atleast it's to expensive for my parents or my in laws to come vist as often as they did in the past

Old 11-12-2008, 05:54 AM

1,764 posts, read 4,347,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I expect the price of oil to get back to 90-something a barrel. There's your relief, but it's going to come at a slow pace, as record demand has to settle into a reasonable production model.

The current harder to get oil costs about 60-70 a barrel (like offshore, with all the transport and risk involved).

However, the price per barrel has gotten complex though, so my predictions are from personal observations, just like everyone elses'.

bump for mad prediction skills!

how much you want to bet we don't start fixing the problem until the price doubles again? :-)

Old 11-12-2008, 02:01 PM

681 posts, read 1,703,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I expect the price of oil to get back to 90-something a barrel.
I don't know about that. For the next few months I'm hearing it might sink as low as $20 per barrel, which could drive Iran and Venezuela absolutely nuts. Apparently there are no empty available tankers right now. They are all full of unsold crude waiting to learn where they'll go to offload. That's what's brought down the price so quickly.

Today on Cali's central coast at retail I saw $2.049 posted, but the average is closer to $2.299 so we'll see what happens.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:11 PM

11,346 posts, read 9,723,173 times
Paid $183.9 at Von's with my Club Card.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:11 PM

3,832 posts, read 7,514,851 times
$1.87 in the flats.

edit: $1.77 with my Dillon's Club Card.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:55 PM

6,992 posts, read 13,407,085 times
Had I a working crystal ball back when this first started, I would have said, "yes".

I just hope it stays down, at least for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive