U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:28 AM

3,283 posts, read 2,875,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Hi! I had a Honda CRX in the 1980's that routinely got 49 mpg. It wasn't a hybrid, it was just a great little car. If Honda could make a car that got 49 mpg in the 1980's why don't they make cars that do better than that now? I really thought in the intervening decades Honda, or some other auto maker, would have developed cars that would get at least 60 mpg. What happened?
interesting article
ABC News: $4 Gas: It's Our Fault
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:43 AM

523 posts, read 1,065,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Funny but true story:
A friend of mine recently got his Corolla out of the shop after $2000 in repairs......He hit a pheasant
thats funny. not god. But funny. The shapes of cars wont change, a honda is still shaped today like a wedge and a deer can still end up on your lap. The laws/lawsuits/regulations restrict selling the little cheeseboxes of the past that were good at gas (and to me, more reliable than the computer controlled everything/ob2 cars of today). But not safer. A tidbit, when I sold my crx si, a few weeks later the guy got hit (expressway) by a 18 wheeler, then bounced into the wall. And walked away. Car was destroyed obviously. Today people feel safer in their cars and just drive like bigger idiots, so it probably about equals out.

I think the problem is historically tied more to our government than to 'americans'. We obviously wanted, and bought up, suv's. But its smaller, more efficient cars that are selling now of course, we adapt. Buying a car is a big deal for alot of people and it will takes a while for people to need a car, or be financially 'beat up' into buyine a smaller more efficient car. Our govt was ok with the amount of gas being used, and getting the tax $$ involved. (this may have benefited gm as well?). The markets are all ok with the futures being up up and away, and it being a mystery, vs a staple that you can count on the price/demand/supply. The oil companies are ok making the record profits. Its a win win win. except for the consumer. Till the traincrash recently, gas was still not a huge part of the average americans income so we were ok with it too. But now that its just about doubled in one presidency, its begun to affect just about every aspect of our economy. We got problems!

I just heard on the news, just the 'threat' of a possible hurricane, in all of hurricane season, should be good for a $.25 cent raise in prices at the pumps during hurricane season. Thats convenient.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:05 PM

13,031 posts, read 23,200,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
thats funny. not god. But funny. The shapes of cars wont change, a honda is still shaped today like a wedge and a deer can still end up on your lap.

I just heard on the news, just the 'threat' of a possible hurricane, in all of hurricane season, should be good for a $.25 cent raise in prices at the pumps during hurricane season. Thats convenient.
The Honda Pilot has a good Stance when confronted with a deer head on and the CRV should be better than most passenger cars...

Huricanes... anyone remember pictures of SUV's fording through the flooded streets last year? Every vehicle has a purpose.... sometimes, you only need to use it once to have it pay for itself...

Old 06-01-2008, 02:10 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,325,800 times
I had a Honda CRX si model and loved that I could fill it up (about $8 in gas at the time) and drive from Florida to Kentucky on one tank of gas.

I sure miss that car. I was in a wreck and the car was totaled. I walked away with only a cut lip. It certainly held up to the wreck and saved me from worse injuries.

Gosh, I have thought about that car for years too. I wish I could get another

Old 06-01-2008, 03:55 PM

5,112 posts, read 11,225,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I've seen the same thing Runner, but in my case it was a girl in a Bug versus a horse. The little cars are just the right shape to knock the legs out from under big animals, and the main impact is when the torso hits the windshield. It isn't pretty.

Funny but true story:
A friend of mine recently got his Corolla out of the shop after $2000 in repairs......He hit a pheasant
mentioning bugs.. a drunk driver in a nova hit a vw bug head on(2 lane street, one going one way one another type deal) a few years back. guy in the nova got out with no injuries, 2 kids in the bug killed on impact after the car crunched like a soda can being stepped on. im going to assume the bugs bumper went right under the frontend on the nova(high on most muscle cars), which depending on the year should be similar to chevelle frontends like my 72, which has a bit of a spike/wedge shape in the middle(bumper and hood). kind of like driving a tent peg into soft ground

smaller cars dont stand a chance against anything like that

Old 06-01-2008, 03:56 PM

47,848 posts, read 43,106,963 times
oil companies got very smart and very greedy. found they could manipulate consumers and greed of others.

got one of these in my tank can't get it out.

acylic Bunky 2007

Old 06-01-2008, 08:21 PM

19,556 posts, read 11,126,620 times
No-one is manipulated,people CHOOSE to buy whatever they want.

How frightening the idea of freedom of choice is to some.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:28 AM

523 posts, read 1,065,293 times
Well not really. I choose to go to work, so I have a car.

And since noones made a car that runs on water (well, someone says they did, but then they were poisoned, by 'someone'), Ill have to keep buying buy gas.

I believe our govt was the one manipulated, not the people. The People are just screwed.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:21 PM

6,345 posts, read 6,128,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailoredMaid View Post
I had a Honda CRX si model and loved that I could fill it up (about $8 in gas at the time) and drive from Florida to Kentucky on one tank of gas.

I sure miss that car. I was in a wreck and the car was totaled. I walked away with only a cut lip. It certainly held up to the wreck and saved me from worse injuries.

Gosh, I have thought about that car for years too. I wish I could get another
My CRX was totalled around me too. I loved that car ~ I'm convinced it saved my life. I'd like to have another one too!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,554 times
the reason that they cant make cars with good mileage these days is because of hippies pushing emissions regulations,

more emissions controls on your engine = worse gas mileage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive