Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:25 PM

51 posts, read 223,847 times

Advertisements

Well, went to a church picnic today, parked on grass because that is where we were parking and after 20 minutes there is an announcement, everyone move their cars, we have a car fire! Well, I ran over and it was my car on fire! Not exactly sure what caused it and probably never will know. Someone claims it could of been the hot catalitic converter got so hot and caught the grass on fire and then the car, I don't know if this makes to much sense. I seem to think it was another FORD defect. I am not sure how State Farm will handle this but they said it will be treated like a regular car that was purchased (not leased). So, we will be looking to lease another car in the 16-18k range and was wondering what you would recommend with the high gas prices. We are a family of four so can not use anything real small but looking for suggestions. Thanks for reading and just to let you know my whole family was safe, it could of been much worse, but as I said all day long....why me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 08:33 PM

9,595 posts, read 31,599,823 times
That is an all too common phenomenon, Barber_kid.

Unfortunately it is even more common with smaller vehicles because the catalytic converter is physically located much closer to the ground. Simple put . . . super hot converter inches or less away from dry grass equals fire.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:26 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,451,110 times
Never park a car on tall grass. That being said, why are you leasing? Why not buy?

Old 05-26-2008, 01:37 PM

7,913 posts, read 929,365 times
yeah why lease? that really sucks i hope everything works out for you.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:12 PM

13,915 posts, read 39,163,150 times
Fords are famous for Fires. Freaky fires at that. Friends Mustang cought fire Cat Canv had leaves in it. Another friends Van Wiring harness...Few yrs later 3 people I know purchased NEW fords different style/models...within 6 monthe all burned. All wiring harness. I know the cars were put together here but I have often wondered Where the wiring harness were made....I would stay away from ford.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,042,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Fords are famous for Fires. Freaky fires at that. Friends Mustang cought fire Cat Canv had leaves in it. Another friends Van Wiring harness...Few yrs later 3 people I know purchased NEW fords different style/models...within 6 monthe all burned. All wiring harness. I know the cars were put together here but I have often wondered Where the wiring harness were made....I would stay away from ford.
The Ford Pinto? One body style was infamous for blowing up upon rear impact. They were built from American sourced parts.

Crown Victoria is another one------in all fairness; though, many of them are used for police work which is a dangerous job unto itself.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:43 PM

51 posts, read 223,847 times
I always lease, get tired of a car after a few years and want something new. Besides I can not afford a purchase monthly payment, lease is much cheaper and makes sense for us. I did not park in tall grass, it was cut down the day before.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:15 PM

216 posts, read 603,064 times
some midsize to large cars to look into:

1. toyota camry
2. Honda accord
3. Nissan Altima
4. Chevy Malibu 2006 plus
5. Hyundai sonata 2006 plus
6. Subaru legacy or outback
7. VW jetta or passat

all of these are great cars, in no particular order, in which you could get in the amount stated above.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:35 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,451,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The Ford Pinto? One body style was infamous for blowing up upon rear impact. They were built from American sourced parts.

Crown Victoria is another one------in all fairness; though, many of them are used for police work which is a dangerous job unto itself.
Don't forget about the F-150's that they said to park on the street because of their speed control wiring bursting into flames for no reason. Burned down several houses.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,881,822 times
Sometimes you don't even have to park a car on tall grass to catch it on fire. On a couple of occasions at rallycrosses i worked/attended, a car simply had to drive across tall grass to set it on fire. We even lost access to one of our venues because of this, even though the fire was contained within a couple of minutes and didn't burn anything but grass. But one can understand the landowner's concern.

As for people blaming Ford for this issue: stop being silly. For starters, the Fusion is a Mazda with a Ford badge and body panels on it. For another, this is an issue that could have happened with ANY make and a situation pretty much beyond their control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive