Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 03:43 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I had a Round Body 'Foulcan'; one was a 1961 which, outside of the RHD and amber rear turn signals was almost identical to you guys' XK model.
Yeah, Apart from the obvious legal requires. There really wasn't a huge amount of difference. Between the American model and it's Australian variant.

Ford Oz also produced a "ute" version of the XK.

Quote:
I have seen in person a 1973/74 XB Mad Max replica living here in the Phoenix area; RHD of course and its Arizona license plate number was 'MFP'
Excellent! I've seen a few floating around here in OZ aswell, Which is always nice to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 08:14 AM

438 posts, read 1,351,650 times
The Mitsubishi "Pajero" SUV in Argentina had to change its name to "Montero" (although still retained the "Pajero" dashboard with emblem) did not sell well.

"Pajero" in Argentina means; (according to one of the Argentine Embassies consulted, is "a man who plays with himself"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
VW Jetta also had to change its name in Argentina to VW "BORA" to increase sales

Jetta is a word for bad luck in this country.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting thread....

Old 03-13-2009, 08:41 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Have you ever looked up the names of some of Toyota's most popular cars?

A corolla is a whorl of flower petals. Not the petals themselves - the collective of petals. Wut? The reference is supposedly about how each of the soft leaves individually make up a beautiful and unique organism. Nature worship at its finest, and how appropriate that it would apply to the world's largest consumer contribution to global warming.

Cressida was a Trojan woman primarily remarkable for her unfaithfulness. Enough said.

"Camry" is the Japanese word for a crown. It is, however primarily driven by us lowly peasants.

A tercel is a male hawk. The Tercel notably lacks any balls, let alone wings. And they actually made a "Blackhawk" Edition. LOL. LOL. LOL!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Buick Impala???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????
Wow, that must be a rare model....

Old 03-13-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:

We all know who owns Jaguar and Land Rover now: Tata Motors.
So if you see two really good looking ones parked side by side, you can say to your friend "hey, look at those fabulous tata's"...

Old 03-13-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post

How about the Olds Achieva? It sounds like how the word "achiever" would be pronounced in Boston.
Dat's a wikked pissah name for a cah. What are ya, retahded?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:27 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
not that it's terribly humorous, but the biggest challenge facing the 04-06 GTOs was undoubtedly the name. i had one and it was a fantastic car, but i cannot tell you how many times i had to deal with the older car guys giving me hell for the name (like i was the one that named it). the day i wrecked it, i'm standing on the side of the road just about sick to my stomach as the wrecker hauls my baby away to car heaven while the State Trooper is standing next to me and telling me how it wasn't a 'real GTO' so i shouldn't be so upset. yeah, thanks Douche. if they had called it something else (like, i dunno, the Monaro?), i think it would have sold MUCH better.

and what's with all the reliability cracks on the Probe? just some blind Ford-hating or what? it had the same powertrain as the Mazda MX-6/626 line-up, and i still see PLENTY of those things running around to this day.

Mike

Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 PM

I had a Ford Fairmont Futura one time. There was nothing futuristic about it..... In grad school, my roommate and I share a Ford Fiesta. "Even the car's name means party". We did not take business school too seriously.... My first car was a 66 Ford Falcon. We called it "Killer Falcon" because it had absolutely no power and was about as far away from a killer as you could get.... I had a Renault LeCar one time. Incredibly dumb name from a car made by people really good at making wine and cheese, but not cars... I have a Toyota Sienna now. The name means a shade of brown, but the van is silver....

Old 03-14-2009, 11:44 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default OK I'll pick on AMC

Matador--c'mon, a Matador is an exciting risky job and requires agility; the AMC Matador had to have been the most awkward, blandest unadventurous looking car ever
Similarly, a Rebel (which the Matador replaced) takes risks and challenges established things. Does the look of the AMC Rebel reflect that?

Ambassador-an Ambassador is a rather grandiose job that deals with inter-national affairs. Does the look of the AMC Ambassador impart worldly sophistication? Not sure about that

A Hornet is a scary insect people run from; the AMC Hornet had to have been the most unassuming innocous looking car on this planet. They were wise to replace the name with Concord, since it must have several definitions( I don't know myself what Concord means) to make it harder to define

Rambler American--what else, Rambler Swiss, Rambler Muenster, Rambler Provolone? Was there another Rambler model from another country?

now for some of the other makers:

Pontiac Phoenix-isn't a Phoenix some kind of bird or symbol of flight escape and freedom (rising from the ashes or something?). The car's looks didn't exactly inspire that

Dodge St Regis--calling it "Sinner Regis" may have made the car more exciting to the public

Chevy Chevette--it was a female? They all look the same underneath to me

Ford Crown Victoria--another female?

Buick Skyhawk--last time i knew it travelled on the ground, not in the air

Old 03-14-2009, 12:11 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Go to your local Isuzu dealer and look at the i-290 and i-370 trucks. They're identical to the Colorado (made at the same plants) but for badging and a couple of external styling cues... and they're less expensive by far.
In the other automotive markets around the world this isn't the case. The Isuzu trucks in those markets still look the same, but are called the D-Max because they are equipped with an Isuzu diesel engine of the same name. They also get close to, or in some cases over, 40 MPG. Why we can't get one of them in the U.S. is beyond me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive