U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM

7,475 posts, read 19,573,579 times

Advertisements

Doesn't matter where you buy your fuel, it all comes from the same few bulk suppliers. Doesn't matter what the sign out fron says. Buy the cheapest you can find, and sleep well, don't worry about it.
Cosco is not making their fuel in the basement..!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 AM

5,293 posts, read 20,709,725 times
Retailers let a contract for the gas they sell. Not only will it be different from area to area but it may change from time to time as business arrangements change. It is the same basic gasoline as all sell with minor differences in the additive package blended in. Use it if it works well in your vehicle and pass on it when it doesn't.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:02 AM

7,695 posts, read 12,848,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
I had a situation come up several years back where I was in to my Chevrolet dealer service Dept. having some warrantee work done. I happen to know the service manager very well and noticed he was in a discussion with another customer about the fuel system problems they were trying to resolve.
It sparked my intrest and I continued the discussion with him based on what I had just heard.

He pointed out to me that whenever they had a fuel system issue come in, the first thing they did was to send a sample of the fuel in the tank to be tested. He then took me back and showed me some examples.
After looking at the information it was obvious what the problems are. The additive ie. Alcohol etc. contents were all over the place and usually way out of line with the State standards. In many cases it voided the repair as a legitamate warrantee claim.

Bottom line is, I like fuels blended with lower alcohol content but how do you know?
Have each tank full tested ? or buy fuels where you trust them the most.
No Guarantees.

Step right up folks....we have here a gallon of gas here for less...

Silverfox
Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,825 times
I filled my boat tanks with costco premium and had nothing but trouble with it has anyone else had the same problem?

Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,668,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
It is 20-30 cents cheaper than Shell and Chevron. How is the gas there?
I have two vehicles . . . one is as happy as a Pig In Poop with Costco or Sams Club Gasoline while, if I didn't know better, I'd swear the other one can read the pumps because it HATES any of those "discount" gas stations.

Depending on your vehicle, I say try the Costco gas and watch the performance, especially the initial start up, etc.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:48 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
The differences are that if you buy say gas made by chevron at another sation such it will not have the same addive package added before shipment as chebrom No techron in other words. Thsi is the same as any non-branded gasoline. I would just be sure and use a additive to clean the fuek system on fuel injected vehicles and you shpuld be fine as the gas itself meets satndard, The ral problem comes in when you use gas from low volume stations or ones with older tanks.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:04 AM

2,765 posts, read 6,374,735 times
Yes, Costco gas is just fine.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:34 AM

3,743 posts, read 10,931,101 times
All gas must meet minimum Federal requirements for octane and for cleaning agents. Minimum levels are just that, and not exactly optimum levels. Gas gets refined and shipped in bulk (except for Chevron, which has its own refineries), so the differentiation occurs in the last mile to the gas station, literally.

When a tanker pulls up to the depot, its just getting bulk gas, but is is mixed with additives from the brand. The driver at some point puts the branded cleaners into the tank separate from the gas and its mixed in the truck on its way to the stations. Chevron adds its own formula, Shell its own, BP, etc. These additives are branded cleaners with names we see - Techron, V-Power, etc. - that are additional cleaners and optimizers beyond the minimum required.

These additives go beyond the basic needs for fuel and add to the cost of gas. Whether its a real improvement or not is up for great debate, but in general, it seems better gas performs better - more power, better mpg, better emissions, cleaner engine internals.

Cotsco gas could come from anywhere but its probably price driven. That doesn't mean it couldn't come from a Top Tier gas company if there's a low-price contract in place. Cotsco is an unbranded gas station, s its free to buy gas from any distributor - Shell, Chevron, Joe's gas Brand X, etc.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 AM

3,743 posts, read 10,931,101 times
Fwiw, the top gs companies have a website - Top Tier gas - Top Tier Gasoline

I think its mostly marketing PR, but the auto companies that test their engines extensively back these oil companies, so I think its safe to say they're doing something good with their product.

For a while Ford actually put "BP gas recommended" on its fuel caps on its cars, and Porsche, BMW, and the other German companies recommend Shell. When the auto makers do their EPA engine testing, they all use Chevron.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:47 PM

17,490 posts, read 18,647,136 times
Never had a problen with Costco or Sams gas no matter what I was driving or pulling including a 21' 3000# boat or a 24" toy hauler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive