U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2008, 01:17 PM
 
Location: 96820
795 posts, read 2,036,562 times
Reputation: 393

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
It is 20-30 cents cheaper than Shell and Chevron. How is the gas there?
I worked aboard a sea going tanker running the west coast. We would load gasoline at the refinery in Anacortes Washington and take it to ports south - as at Portland, OR. All gas companies had pipelines from their tanks to the dock. We would fill one tank after the other - Texaco, Chevron, Mobil, Shell - what ever...

The refinery at Anacores had a line running through town going to each gas station. Big stink at the time that was discovered by a reporter at the local paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2008, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Laguna Woods, CA
198 posts, read 253,043 times
Reputation: 88
I've been buying Costco gas for years...it's fine. Plus I use my Costco Amex card and get 3% rebate on the already discounted price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 07:04 PM
 
1 posts, read 12,980 times
Reputation: 12
One thing you will notice at the pump with Costco gas is that there is no "contains xx% Ethanol". When Costco #1 in Seattle opened some time ago, I asked the milling suits who were peacock proud what would we find different about Costco gasoline? Their answer was that Costco was providing 100% gasoline with normal additives. No Ethanol. No cutting with anything. I buy my gas at two places to get the best price. Costco and Safeway. I get slightly better mileage with Costco (1 - 3 mpg better). Safeway gas is around 10% Ethanol. My impression has been for the past 10 years that the other difference is when I first step down on the accelerator with Costco gas, my car has much more "lurch" from a start. And I'm a 66 yr old cautious driver. That lurch is always a surprise when I go from a tank of Safeway to a tank of Costco. Going the other way, Costco to Safeway. I find the car sluggish off the line.

Another thing I was told by a good friend who's a Porsche mechanic is the best thing to do for your car is to buy your gas and your oil from a variety of sources so as to get the benefit of each of their additive's functions. Just passing it on. No recommendations from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 11:17 PM
 
2,653 posts, read 4,595,132 times
Reputation: 1893
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
I do not care what Costco makes in profits. They are a publically held Corp. and if you want to profit on the other side then buy their stock.

What about Chevron, Shell, Exxon etc. What are their profits in comparison??

Costco has always been constantly cheaper. Loss leaders are ususally for a shorter period of time.
The bottom line is you get a reasonable quality product on a consistent basis for less money. You can count on the fact they have good equipt. and regular maintanance to insure your value is there.
I guarantee you if there was a problem ...like a bad batch of gas...it would be taken care of in a more satisfying way then it would be with most service stations out there.
Costco is one of the diminishing list of companys that still goes overboard to keep customers satisfied.

My Costco AMEX credit card gives me back,

5% on gas
3% on eating out
2% on Traveling
1% on everything else including Costco purchases in the form of a "non taxable cash rebate".
Whats wrong with that ??
Just pay it off in full every statement period for true savings.

The one thing I still see as an irritating issue is the annual membership fees. They are a big money maker for them and to high in my opinion.

Silverfox
Costco's business model is sell everything at cost + a margin to cover overhead & labor. There is little or no bottom line profit during the actual sale of gas, food, tv's, whatever. They make almost all of their bottom line profit from the membership fees. I'll never begrudge them that profit. It's an excellent outfit that takes care of its employees & customers/members

If you shop there enough you will save many times more then the annual fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 01:41 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
810 posts, read 3,518,066 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
If you shop there enough you will save many times more then the annual fee.
Especially with the exec cash back membership, where you can actually see the kickback alone cover more than the fee, on top of the product savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Southern NH
2,490 posts, read 4,788,118 times
Reputation: 1668
I have used the Sams Club gas without a problem. I have an Exxon/Mobil credit card that gives back $.15 per gallon which is often the best deal....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 09:38 AM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,677 posts, read 24,971,777 times
Reputation: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Especially with the exec cash back membership, where you can actually see the kickback alone cover more than the fee, on top of the product savings.
I have an exec membership but didn't even realize the rewards applied to the gas. Reinforces my decision to buy gas there exclusively, not that being the cheapest around wasn't enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 AM
 
1,735 posts, read 4,136,734 times
Reputation: 1436
Seeing how there hasn’t been a new gas refinery since the 70’s there aren’t that many for each region. I would suspect that Cosco gets their fuel from the same places that all other gas stations get theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 02:18 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
810 posts, read 3,518,066 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I have an exec membership but didn't even realize the rewards applied to the gas. Reinforces my decision to buy gas there exclusively, not that being the cheapest around wasn't enough!
Sorry for the mixup, I actually don't think it's given to gas purchases, I was just replying to OC Investor about how the membership fee can become essentially free thru the kickback (or even can be free plus some cash in your pocket if you shop there a lot like I tend to), of course all of this being on top of the better per-unit prices on the shelves, generous return policy, etc. At the end of the day... I friggin' love Costco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
Reputation: 11465
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcMac View Post
One thing you will notice at the pump with Costco gas is that there is no "contains xx% Ethanol". When Costco #1 in Seattle opened some time ago, I asked the milling suits who were peacock proud what would we find different about Costco gasoline? Their answer was that Costco was providing 100% gasoline with normal additives. No Ethanol. No cutting with anything. I buy my gas at two places to get the best price. Costco and Safeway. I get slightly better mileage with Costco (1 - 3 mpg better). Safeway gas is around 10% Ethanol. My impression has been for the past 10 years that the other difference is when I first step down on the accelerator with Costco gas, my car has much more "lurch" from a start. And I'm a 66 yr old cautious driver. That lurch is always a surprise when I go from a tank of Safeway to a tank of Costco. Going the other way, Costco to Safeway. I find the car sluggish off the line.

Another thing I was told by a good friend who's a Porsche mechanic is the best thing to do for your car is to buy your gas and your oil from a variety of sources so as to get the benefit of each of their additive's functions. Just passing it on. No recommendations from me.
Thanks for the info, I have been wondering if there was any gas out there without the damn ethanol. I will check out Costco! Reps to you my man, and welcome to the forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top