U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 12,336 times

Advertisements

I like to buy my gas at Costco as they have the best price. BUT if I knew they were selling terror-free gas AND it cost more I would definetly buy it! Cutting off dollars to the middle east is the best way to fight terror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:21 AM

3,440 posts, read 7,047,613 times
From what I was told ( buy a man who rebuilt injectors for years) all gas comes from the same place (duh) but the difference is in which additives that are placed in the gas after each individual gas company gets their base stock.

So, with that being said, it really depends of what kind of car you have, and how much you care about it. So if you have a Bentley, a BMW or a any car with fuel injection that you plan on keeping for a long time, it would behoove you to use gas like Shell, chevron or 76 for it's ability to fight gunk buildup in the injectors and intake systems. You still should use STP fuel treatment every other full tank anyway because the cleaning additives are still not enough that are available in the gas. Doing this could save you a $500-1000 injector rebuild at 100k miles. However, if you have a car that you don't really care about; then by all means, get what ever kind of gas you want.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,520,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Better View Post
...Cutting off dollars to the middle east is the best way to fight terror.

Best way to start WALKING too....

Old 11-13-2009, 06:51 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,331,525 times
My only issues are levels of alcohol AND how the particular station maintains their tanks.

Water and rust in tanks will cause problems. So, assuming Costco takes good care of their tanks, it should not make a difference. I will not go to Joe Blow's Quick gas because I feel it is more likely a reputable chain will take care of their tanks. No guarantees for sure, but I like my chances better.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:37 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,520,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Water and rust in tanks will cause problems. So, assuming Costco takes good care of their tanks, it should not make a difference. I will not go to Joe Blow's Quick gas because I feel it is more likely a reputable chain will take care of their tanks. No guarantees for sure, but I like my chances better.

If I see the tanker truck at a station...I keep going. Filling the underground tanks has to stir up any crud/water in the tanks, right?

Of course, I have no way of knowing if the truck pulled out five minutes before I got there....but "ignorance is bliss"!

Old 12-14-2009, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 20,829 times
Smile Gumming Gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I a curious about this OP question too and about Sheets gas,
I had a mechanic I respect tell me Sheets gas gums up something.
There has to be a definite answer out there on cheap gas.
Does it matter to the engine ??
Basically after looking into it a bit, the more expensive Gas Companies tend to be owned by companies importing foreign oil. OPEC

Foreign Oil Imported

Shell.................................. 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco.................. 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil....................... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway............ 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco............................... 62,231,000 barrels

The cheaper gasoline suppliers use domestic or friendly oil:

Foreign Oil Imported

Sunoco....................... 0 barrels
Conoco....................... 0 barrels
0ASinclair.................... 0 barrels
BP / Phillips................. 0 barrels
Hess........................... 0 barrels
ARC0........................... 0 barrels
Maverick...................... 0 barrels
Flying J........................ 0 barrels
Valero.......................... 0 barrels
Murphy Oil USA*............ 0 barrels

*WalMart stations use Murphy Oil USA

All of this information is available from the U.S. Department of Energy and each company is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

As for gumming...? Old gasoline (like in a gas can stored in you garage) can break down.
I can't envision a high volume station having stagnant gasoline in the tanks long enough to break down.

I imaging your mechanic is referring to clogging injectors or carburetor jets.

HowStuffWorks "How Fuel Injection Systems Work"

Can gasoline go bad? Over time and possibly with contamination?

Yes, but is your car going to sit idle that long?
Can gas really go bad? - CNN.com

Pretty much all gasoline is the same...refined at the same places and distributed through the same pipes.

A simplified lesson on Petroleum processing from our friends at the Department Of Energy or D.O.E.
EIA Energy Kids - Oil (petroleum)

The difference is the octane and the additives.

How gasoline is made - manufacture, making, used, parts, industry, Raw Materials, The Manufacturing Process of gasoline, Byproducts/Waste, The Future
Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gasoline is a byproduct of Kerosene and was originally discarded.
It was later sold as an safe, efficient oven cleaner.

You can add detergents to clean your lines to your fuels. Be sure to follow the instructions tough or you may experience adverse effects.

I was in an AutoZone when a fellow entered, complaining to the manager that he had added 2 bottles of Octane booster to his car and now it wasn't running.

How Does an Octane Booster Work?

(Octane booster increases the fuels octane levels, The higher the Octane= the higher the flash-point of the fuel = the harder to burn the fuel)

He had used 2 bottles designed to treat 20 gallons each to a 13 gallon fuel tank. Almost 4 times the designed level. Hmmm won't run? I wonder why? :P

He had a 13 gallon tank and put enough retardant in it to treat 40 gallons.

A fellow drove his BMW into a shop I worked at complaining of brake failure. (His brakes were squeaking so he lubricated his rotors to stop the squeak.)

Basically, a little common sense goes a long way...

As my Auto Tech instructor said a long time ago...
It doesn't matter how fast your vehicle goes.... if you can't stop.

Last edited by OlDewd; 12-14-2009 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Spelling errors, Cleanup upon re-read

Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 11,979 times
[quote=OlDewd;12022936]Basically after looking into it a bit, the more expensive Gas Companies tend to be owned by companies importing foreign oil. OPEC

Foreign Oil Imported

Foreign Oil Imported

All of this information is available from the U.S. Department of Energy and each company is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

As for gumming...? Old gasoline (like in a gas can stored in you garage) can break down.
I can't envision a high volume station having stagnant gasoline in the tanks long enough to break down.

A quick look at Snoopes would reveal that these foreign oil statistics are wrong.

Crude Oil Imports From Persian Gulf 2009 (http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/summary2009.html - broken link)

This dept of energy site declares the 2009 statistics, which states that at least here on the West Coast BP/Arco is one of the highest and Shell is one of the lowest. There are no truly domestic company stations. The refineries here often import oil from else where and mix them together, and even with the same brand name they often come from different place. Thankfully many do come from N. America, specifically Canada and Mexico... which is a better choice.

My question that led me here is, what company does Costco often get its gas from? I have not been able to find that out yet. What I do know that relates to this thread is I just read an article stating that Costco has been doing so well in their gas sales that they usually have to refill there tanks daily which is 2-3x more often them common stations.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 PM

415 posts, read 1,498,347 times
I ran the cheapest gas possible on my previous car, which was always either Costco or ARCO.

Eventually, the engine developed problems. First, I had to get the fuel injectors cleaned. Not expensive, but the injectors were gummed up pretty badly from the gas I was using.

When I traded the car in, the engine was running so badly, I was lucky to get a few hundred dollars for it.

Was the Costco or the ARCO gas responsible for the problems? I don't know which. I do know I am not eager to try either again unless I absolutely had to.

For me, the peace of mind of using anything besides ARCO or Costco is well worth it.

I like to run Chevron and Shell, as a reliable backup. However, I have not noticed ANY increase at all, not even the slightest, when I run either compared to cheaper gas.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Msot like Costco buy therre gasoline form various sources. The only real difference in gasoline which is made to standards is the additive package which is added at the time the delvery truck is filled.The amount of alcohol is required to be on the pump.It like the pumps depends on the state to test the pumps but sometimes it is common for people themselves to add additives to the tank such as deicer that change the mixture. This is much more common than the gasoline to be mixed up in the tank at the station.The most common problem is water in the under ground tanks especailly at older stations.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:59 PM

17,482 posts, read 18,638,752 times
[quote=clarycutcochick;12776550]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlDewd View Post
Basically after looking into it a bit, the more expensive Gas Companies tend to be owned by companies importing foreign oil. OPEC

Foreign Oil Imported

Foreign Oil Imported

A quick look at Snoopes would reveal that these foreign oil statistics are wrong.

Crude Oil Imports From Persian Gulf 2009 (http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/summary2009.html - broken link)

This dept of energy site declares the 2009 statistics, which states that at least here on the West Coast BP/Arco is one of the highest and Shell is one of the lowest. There are no truly domestic company stations. The refineries here often import oil from else where and mix them together, and even with the same brand name they often come from different place. Thankfully many do come from N. America, specifically Canada and Mexico... which is a better choice.

My question that led me here is, what company does Costco often get its gas from? I have not been able to find that out yet. What I do know that relates to this thread is I just read an article stating that Costco has been doing so well in their gas sales that they usually have to refill there tanks daily which is 2-3x more often them common stations.
Another Urban Legend debunked.

snopes.com: Saudi Gas Boycott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive