U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 07:05 PM

415 posts, read 1,498,347 times

Advertisements

How about driving less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Better View Post
I like to buy my gas at Costco as they have the best price. BUT if I knew they were selling terror-free gas AND it cost more I would definetly buy it! Cutting off dollars to the middle east is the best way to fight terror.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 20,829 times
Thanx for the info...Looks like I forgot to look up the data before posting.
The O% imported looks pretty much ok, but the forign oil barrel data is inflated.

Looks like I got bit by then junk data guys and passed it on. As for Costco?
It's prices in our area are similar to Valero, The other guys tend to be a bit higher.
Sometimes Costco is higher than our local store.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:32 AM

880 posts, read 1,688,388 times
OLDWED
Doesn't Valero import oil from Venezuela for its aruba refinery?Last time I looked Venezuela is a foreign country.We import most of our oil from Canada and Mexico.We EXPORT Alaskan oil to japan and south korea.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:11 AM

1 posts, read 8,540 times
Then why does Shell, BP, Exxon, Etc have there own refinaries if the gas is all the same? Also ethanol is a MPG killer, depending on the blend it will kill your MPG. Look at ethanol running vehicles and look at their MPG rating when running stronger ethanol mixtures. So the answer is Yes the gas brand, refinary mixture and additives can affect your MPG. There seems to be alot of misinformation out there.
I have gotten bad gas milage from Costco gas, and so far with Shell I have been getting about 2 mpg better on several cars. Do your own testing and consistantly use the same brand for at least 3 tanks. Let us know your results!

Last edited by Ryedog; 02-19-2010 at 02:25 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 05:22 PM

17,482 posts, read 18,638,752 times
^^ For the same reason General Mills Kellogg's and Post have their own cereal factories.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 PM

19 posts, read 61,561 times
Sheetz gas is the worse thing you could do to your baby...Your car would prolly hate you and think you just don't care if you use sheetz gas in it.(I almost ruined a perfectly good pontiac grand prix with sheetz gas)haven't tryed costco yet though...but I think I'd rather take my chances with bigger companies (Shell. chevron, etc)hey at least you'll have someone to sue for messin up your car)

Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 8,254 times
Default Costco Member Card-Executive

What card do you have ? If you have the executive card[runs a $100 a year; but if you buy as much as $5000 dollars a year; your membership is free; if more , you will get money back over your membership ; not but two of us in our family[wife and I] and I got back $87 recently and membership paid for; not hard to do buying prescriptions, gas, groceries, a large screen tv recently; beat anybody's price : regular member card; you get zilch back : so give that some thought; I feel I save alot of money shopping there myself , besides the quality of the goods . [ quote=silverfox;3907165]I do not care what Costco makes in profits. They are a publically held Corp. and if you want to profit on the other side then buy their stock.

What about Chevron, Shell, Exxon etc. What are their profits in comparison??

Costco has always been constantly cheaper. Loss leaders are ususally for a shorter period of time.
The bottom line is you get a reasonable quality product on a consistent basis for less money. You can count on the fact they have good equipt. and regular maintanance to insure your value is there.
I guarantee you if there was a problem ...like a bad batch of gas...it would be taken care of in a more satisfying way then it would be with most service stations out there.
Costco is one of the diminishing list of companys that still goes overboard to keep customers satisfied.

My Costco AMEX credit card gives me back,

5% on gas
3% on eating out
2% on Traveling
1% on everything else including Costco purchases in the form of a "non taxable cash rebate".
Whats wrong with that ??
Just pay it off in full every statement period for true savings.

The one thing I still see as an irritating issue is the annual membership fees. They are a big money maker for them and to high in my opinion.

Silverfox[/quote]

Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
The mian difference in gasolines brands is the additve used to clean the engine. Chevron has techron for example. At a nearby refinery that is the last thing added as they load gasoline on to the tanker trucks to deliver to their stations. Other buyers do not get it added but of course the same cleaner can be bought to say clean the fuel system at stores every oil change say.Many stations now have cleaners that you can buy separately added as its pumped.Otherwise other than if it contains methnol its tested the same and companies often trade shipments to avoid pipelining.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:42 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,138,585 times
Be very careful when buying gas from these discount gas stations. They all get their gasoline from backyard distillers that were once moonshiners.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:43 PM

1,903 posts, read 4,726,466 times
Here in SE MI, I've seen the truck delivering to Costco, and the same company delivers Speedway and Sam's Club...can't remember the name of the company; I think it's from Carson City, MI. I get some Costco gas, it's nothing special qualitywise. I think Costco MI says it may have up to 10% ethanol on the pump. I used to get a lot more there but my local warehouse's gas price isn't always great (but they are slow to raise prices; sometimes they're 20c a gallon less) and I've been going to Kroger gas; I found a way to sometimes get their max fuel reward and I barely shop there. Last tankful was $1.60 or so a gallon and I got 23 gallons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive