U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:51 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,944,907 times

Advertisements

Major gas companies have huge storage tanks above ground and when the gas level is down to a certain point they sell the remaining gas to independent dealers that deliver to independent stations...all at a lower price per gallon.

Decades ago my dad had a station and that was the deal those days...probably the same goes on today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 05:37 PM

17,481 posts, read 18,634,440 times
Steve, are you saying the old gas is on the bottom and the new gas is on the top?

Old 10-02-2010, 07:49 PM

Your pulling my leg...everyone knows that any water or sediment settles to the bottom of any tank be it storage or car tank.

I was working at my dads station while going to college and the delivery driver told me some things about where he had his tanker filled.

At that time he carried a separation of octaine in the truck...not like today. We had three on our pumps.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:40 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,136,734 times
All gas on the east coast is piped in from the gulf to tank farms where it is stored. Any blending is done when it is pumped into the tankers for delivery. In NC it is blended with 10% ethanol . Branded gas also gets an additive when it is pumped into the tanker.
As for CostCo they get their deliveries from the same tank farm as all the rest of the stations.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:18 PM

17,481 posts, read 18,634,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Steve, are you saying the old gas is on the bottom and the new gas is on the top?
Nope, lived by tank farms in So CA for years. Never saw them pulling gas out of the tank from the top, always closer to the bottom.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:36 PM

Has been over half a century since I worked in a gas station. Those days was told that the gas was 114 octaine coming from the boats to storage tanks in San Pedro ca.

The lowest octaine at our pump was a 99+ posted but was generally higher in octaine coming in the tanker truck. If our middle tank (100+) was full he was authorized to dump the remainder into our 99+ tank at the lower price per gal. He was not supposed to drive back to the depot with any gas in the tanker. I saw the invoice correction and signed the form of acceptance.

Things are bound to change for sure...don't they?

Old 10-03-2010, 04:00 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,518,783 times
Hey Steve, my dad owned several service stations from the 40's - '70s (Texaco and Sinclair). I think the selling of three grades of gas is a relatively recent thing, at least around here....pop sold two grades of gas, "regular" and "premium" (aka "high test"). I do not believe the octane rating was posted on the pump, as it is nowadays.

The only exception was Sunoco....they had these weird "pick your octane" pumps with five or six grades, the highest being "Sunoco 260"...which must have been higher octane than anybody else sold. All the hot rodders insisted on Sunoco 260...

Old 10-03-2010, 04:38 PM

Dads station was a "McMillian" (lge M logo) brand name "McMillian Oil Co" in Calif 1952. He was a customer of ours also. There was a repair shop in back and dad rebuilt his Packard engine and with a new paint job also while McMillian was on vacation in Europe. He was a millionaire as I recall.

The pumps had the octaine numbers on the pump. I drove a cad vert and would fill the tank with the 99+ knowing the octaine was higher via the gas delivery.

We also had the refined oil in bottles with a spout to pour that sold for 0.25 cents a qt.

One thing I learned long ago is not to fill my tank when a tanker is dumping into the underground tanks. Water and sediment is churned up in the process and you have a s****y running car later on.

At my business more then once had a customer complaining of a tune up I did a couple of days before. They got gas with water and sediment...the filter showed it.

I was vindicated.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:28 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,518,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Dads station was a "McMillian" (lge M logo) brand name "McMillian Oil Co" in Calif 1952. He was a customer of ours also. There was a repair shop in back and dad rebuilt his Packard engine and with a new paint job also while McMillian was on vacation in Europe. He was a millionaire as I recall.

The pumps had the octaine numbers on the pump. I drove a cad vert and would fill the tank with the 99+ knowing the octaine was higher via the gas delivery.

We also had the refined oil in bottles with a spout to pour that sold for 0.25 cents a qt.

One thing I learned long ago is not to fill my tank when a tanker is dumping into the underground tanks. Water and sediment is churned up in the process and you have a s****y running car later on.

At my business more then once had a customer complaining of a tune up I did a couple of days before. They got gas with water and sediment...the filter showed it.

I was vindicated.

Yeah, if the tanker truck is there, I keep going. Of course, I have no way of knowing if the tanker left 5 minutes before I got there. I do think that modern filters/water separators at service stations are better than they used to be.

I've seen those old glass oil bottles (weren't they filled from a bulk tank on site?) but by the time I was around the stations, oil was sold in tin cans that you jammed a metal spout into. Anti-freeze came in cans too.

My favorite pumps were the ones with the glass globes on the side with little balls in them that jumped around as the fuel was pumped. Wish they still had them! LOL

Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 PM

The reason I said McMillian was a customer of ours was that he was courting a lady in the town. As oil company owner he came and introduced himself while in town. For obvious reasons I cannot reveal where.

The the oil was in bulk (drum) and I had to pump the bottles full and place in a rack next to the gas pumps.

Yrs back the cars I worked on all had Carbs and the fuel bowl had sediment or filter would show the water. Now days the filters can only be blowed thru to check for any blockage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive