Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:42 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,775,959 times

Advertisements

I found the passenger floor board carpet in my truck saturated with water.

How this happened I do not know. I can't see any coolant coming out of the heater core. I've not left the windows down.

The water is also under the jute pad and there's a big puddle on the metal floor board. The carpet, jute pad and undermat are all soaked.

I'm considering pulling up that side of the carpet and jute pad/undermat and putting in an electric box fan, setting it on high and leaving it run all night long, with the side windows cracked for some air to circulate.

My wife thinks this is a bad idea and thinks the fan will burn out and catch fire.

Also I would have to use an indoor/outdoor 14 gauge heavy duty extension cord but I could keep the plug inside the truck so it doesn't get wet.

It's either this or I have to rip out the seat and all of the carpet and everything else, a job I do not want to have to do.

Or what else could you recommend? I can't leave the doors open. What else could I do? It's stinking up the cab.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 09:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
I had this problem with a 99 Grand Prix GT, turned out it was a gasket around the a/c air intake (under the windshield cowl) that had worked loose allowing water to leak in. It caused my a/c resistor to burn out and my fan motor to start squealing. If you notice a/c control problems start looking in that area. It could be the a/c drain line clogged up too. I'm assuming you have already used a shop-vac for the water. The only thing I know is to put a small dehumidifier in there and turn it on max, just don't let the airflow get blocked.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:08 PM

Actually my truck wasn't equipped with a/c.

I don't have a dehumidifier.

I tried soaking up as much water as i could with some rags.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:20 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,775 times
First you gotta find and fix the water leak.

If your carpet stinks, you most likely should replace it. Don't waste a lot of time and energy trying to salvage it unless you want to wear a nose plug.

Thats what you should do and don't wait until your car turns into a putrid pit.

Get the carpet out and dry out the car floor pan and surrounding area.

Leave it out till your sure the water leak is fixed.

Silverfox

Old 05-28-2008, 09:58 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,471 times
Has your car been out in the rain. There is a little drain tube made out of pliable rubber that lets water, that gets into your fresh air vent system, out. I have seen birds and other critters build a home over this drain and cause your problem.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:28 AM

Yes the truck sits out on the rain. it is a 93 S-10 where can i find this drain tube?

Silverfox, as much as I hate to do this I have strongly considered ripping out the seat and carpet and letting it sit that way for a good while.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:27 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
First you gotta find and fix the water leak.

If your carpet stinks, you most likely should replace it. Don't waste a lot of time and energy trying to salvage it unless you want to wear a nose plug.

Thats what you should do and don't wait until your car turns into a putrid pit.

Get the carpet out and dry out the car floor pan and surrounding area.

Leave it out till your sure the water leak is fixed.

Silverfox
Sound to me like what silverfox is saying would be you best bet. other wise your just going to keep the problem not solve it.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
My old Buick developed a leak and I dried the carpet with a hair dryer left on over a couple nights. I am afraid the problem is a leaking windshield gasket cause by rust in the windshield frame. Interim cure has been a strip of duct tape over the top windshield trim. That should last until I replace the tape with something better.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,878,302 times
The most common problem when you have water on the pass side carpet is a leaking heater core. It's often accompied by slight fogging of the windshield, and possibly the sweet smell of antifreeze. If you have antifreeze in your system, the water on the floor will aslo feel somewhat slimy.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
If the water is not leaking in around the windshield it may be getting into the grill between the hood and windshield (cowl panel) and should be draining out, but the drain may be plugged. Frequently this drain is a rubber tube that ends in a chisel-shaped point, this point has a slit along where the cutting edge on a chisel would be. Sometimes just squeezing this along it's long axis, so it opens up, is enough - may have some trash/bugs/leaves whatever stuck in it, or just stuck shut. This drain tube is usually hanging down from the heater core area on the passenger's side of the firewall. Although I don't know where it is offhand for a 93 S-10.

It would really help if you can get this rig into a garage or carport while you sort out what's leaking. A wet/dry shop vac can really help (but remember to dump the dust before, and water after, using for this task)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive