Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

Manual gearboxes last forever unless you really abuse the sychromesh cluches. Auto boxes nearly as long if you keep the oil and filters clean. What really suprises me is the longevity of the final drive gears and differentials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:00 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
if it's a VW 5-speed, it won't last forever. 2nd gear will grind. or reverse will fail. or the pinion seals will leak. or the rivets on the diff will loosen or break. (it was not their masterpiece design).

but most manuals, driven sensibly, should easily last the life of the car.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:17 AM

11 posts, read 38,140 times
Improper installation of a clutch can also cause serious problems. The gear fluid should also be changed accordingly!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Yeah, the clutch and the hydralics that run it are the failure points. After a manual transmission gets notchy you can switch to a good synthetic like Redline. That helps.

I look at like this. Yeah the clutch might wear out. But what a simple thing to replace and understand how it works. Have you ever looked at the cutaways for an auto? Holy cow what is going on in there!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:17 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
if it's a VW 5-speed, it won't last forever. 2nd gear will grind. or reverse will fail. or the pinion seals will leak. or the rivets on the diff will loosen or break. (it was not their masterpiece design).
I've driven two VW 5-speeds to 280,000 (10 years old) and 195,000 (9 years old) miles respectively and had no transmission problems whatsoever.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:03 AM

I've been around alot of vw's and seen alot of 5 speed problems. Can't recall the trans codes at the moment, but I had then all memorized and could tell you which had which problems. The mk3 8v cars usually had the reverse problems, vr6, 16v, and mk2 8v's normally had the 2nd gear syncro grinds.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:05 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
What generally kills a manual transmission is that a seal leaks, owner ignores that, lets all the lube leak out, then burns out a bearing, generally.

The VW 5-speed is not exactly as robust as the old GM M-22 "Rock-Crusher". The 5th gear gears are physically up high in the trans, so will suffer lube problems if you don't keep after the lube level. The main output gear is rivited to its' shaft so won't tolerate drag-style starts, or just ham-handed, rough shifting. I have racked up over 110K miles on my 'rocco with 5-speed, but I am not rough with it and use Redline MTL lube, expensive but I think worth it's price.

After a lot of driving and shifting, you may need to replace the syncronizers in a manual gearbox, and while it's apart for that generally you'll replace most/all the bearings. But the gears and the case itself will last, I dunno, a million or more miles?

Old 05-30-2008, 08:34 AM

Oh that's right, I forgot about the 5th gear oil (er, lack of) problem. Actually the 2Y trans I was going to replace my brother's with (his had a blown reverse) had a crunched 5th from oil starvation. We took the top housing off to replace 5th and do the swap, but it was crunched so bad the broken teeth and bearings had fallen into the main housing... and I went shopping for another trans.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Actually the modern auto transmission is more durable than the manual if taken care fo. As a manual tranmission is manually shifted the gears geta wrokout becasue of human aren't evr prefect. When I was a teenager I always had a manuakl and rebuid them myself as they are simple.The of course there is the clutches and throwout bearings.In fact unless you buy a specific heavyduty trucktype manuals are not recommended for much towing of anything by manufacturers.last manual I had was for a jeep CJ7 and I rebuilkt it three times in 12 years becuase of gear wear. I can't ven recall how amny clutches in all. Its the fact that they are simple that makes them wroth while at all and the control in certain circumstances. For the average modern car I prefer a automatic with teh proper care. Most problems in autoamtic can be traced to mnot changing fluid enough really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive