U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 05:11 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,641,418 times

Advertisements

Traban out of East Germany. Cold War Commie fugliness epitomized.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 07:07 AM

281 posts, read 1,184,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
Never would I expect for BMW to manufacture such monstrosity of a car. Never.
One have to understand the history of BMW to acknowledge the importance of that car... without the Isetta, there would be probably no BMW cars today.

"By 1959 the automotive division of BMW was in financial difficulties and a shareholders meeting was held to decide whether to go into liquidation or find a way of carrying on. It was decided to carry on and to try to cash in on the current economy car boom.

Therefore the rights to manufacture the tiny Italian "ISO-Isetta" were bought using a modified form of BMW's own motorcycle engine. This was moderately successful and helped the company get back on its feet."

Old 11-04-2008, 07:10 AM

281 posts, read 1,184,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
But what's to expect from Europeans? They prefer junk to class.
You mean to choose the Multipla over the Aztek?

Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 AM

7,677 posts, read 24,975,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
You mean to choose the Multipla over the Aztek?
FIATS are one of the few cars less reliable than a GM minivan. Fix It Again, Tony!

Old 11-04-2008, 06:37 PM

779 posts, read 1,942,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
One have to understand the history of BMW to acknowledge the importance of that car... without the Isetta, there would be probably no BMW cars today.

"By 1959 the automotive division of BMW was in financial difficulties and a shareholders meeting was held to decide whether to go into liquidation or find a way of carrying on. It was decided to carry on and to try to cash in on the current economy car boom.

Therefore the rights to manufacture the tiny Italian "ISO-Isetta" were bought using a modified form of BMW's own motorcycle engine. This was moderately successful and helped the company get back on its feet."
I guess BMW had to start somewhere and despite what is going on in the economy, BMW continues to prosper. I do like BMW vehicles and other models I do not particularly fancy. I did not mean to get all carried away about the Isetta. I was kinda in the moment as I was bashing the poor little car that made BMW what it is today. My apologies. I hope I did not offend any BMW fans on this thread.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 PM

7,303 posts, read 22,737,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
In a strange way I actually quite like that.
Ironically, my grandfather has one of those... Its a 1976 it has 50K actual miles. He loves it, but most everyone else in my family hates it and embarrased to ride in it, but when he takes it to cruise-ins, everyone just loves it. Here you go... It was pretty rare because it was so high optioned... pretty unusual for these.. it has power steering, power brakes, cold A/C, FM radio, etc. These are ugly, but they have bulletproof inline 6-cylinder engines that seem to never break. Jeep used these engines for years.

Here she is!

Here is his other classic... I like it better... 1955 Cadillac... been garaged since new....

and this was his old car...
1955 Buick...

Old 11-04-2008, 11:05 PM

That car in the original post would not look all that bad if not for all of that nonsense going on toward the back cargo window area. That should have been ONE window.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:20 AM

9,326 posts, read 18,980,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
This might have to be considered, although they were quite comfortable when the gas shocks kicked in (or whatever that was)

Introducing the Citroen
I think the Citroen DS is gorgeous.. and it has received design accolades

Old 11-05-2008, 09:28 AM

9,326 posts, read 18,980,034 times
Subaru Brat was pretty ugly:

Subaru did not learn their lesson with the Baja:

Old 11-05-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Subaru Brat was pretty ugly:

Subaru did not learn their lesson with the Baja:
Brats are collectors items if you can find one thats not eat up with rust. The only ones that did not rust are the ones that never had a speck of water on them. Even here in the south they rusted.

The little VW truck was the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or