U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 AM

3,088 posts, read 7,633,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
who makes this?

I love weird looking cars I would trade my corolla for that isetta in a heartbeat.

http://www.modernmicrocars.co.uk/images/p50sale.jpg (broken link)
^peel p50

YouTube - topgear : jeremy clarkson drives the peel p50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 PM

13,483 posts, read 29,425,055 times
The Buick Rendezvous (cousin to Aztek) was ugly too.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:19 PM

681 posts, read 2,522,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
I'm not sure if a car that is more than, say, 30 years old can really qualify as being "ugly". They all looked different back in the day.
Love your list, but don't totally agree with it.

Used to think the way you do till I took a few holidays to London and came to appreciate a car you can drive through the narrow and twisted roads of the inner city during all sorts of bleak weather, park in half a space, and only put in a liter of fuel per week. With a little style. Can't all be bad - for their locale.

In this country it only has a tiny specialty niche, and sure isn't made for the open road - or front-end crashes. Still, when you can park a car nose in to the curb in less than half a normal space and not stick out onto the roadway that's got to make a design impression on any car fancier. Once saw six Smarts and two motorcycles in three parking spaces next to my hotel. THAT's conservation of resources, I say.

I do like the lighter, stronger materials used in some of the newer cars. Let's face it, Detroit sure knew how to waste a ton of unneeded sheet metal in the "good old days". But there are still lots of 50's and 60's vehicles running around that are truly graceful and beautiful classics. Maybe we need a new thread? Pick the ten most beautiful cars of all time and take votes?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:56 PM

681 posts, read 2,498,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Love your list, but don't totally agree with it.
Good thing you're an American.

Quote:
Used to think the way you do till I took a few holidays to London and came to appreciate a car you can drive through the narrow and twisted roads of the inner city during all sorts of bleak weather, park in half a space, and only put in a liter of fuel per week. With a little style. Can't all be bad - for their locale.
I agree, but this is America. I drove a Cadillac through Brooklyn and it wasn't pleasant... if Brooklyn were actually safe, I'd say screw the car and ride a bike. Small cars can be stylish... come on, who doesn't love a VW bug?

Quote:
In this country it only has a tiny specialty niche, and sure isn't made for the open road - or front-end crashes.
America is almost all open road, which lends itself nicely to front-end crashes. From having been in such a crash myself with a Cadillac, I cannot in good faith recommend that anyone drive a small car in America. Period.

Quote:
Still, when you can park a car nose in to the curb in less than half a normal space and not stick out onto the roadway that's got to make a design impression on any car fancier. Once saw six Smarts and two motorcycles in three parking spaces next to my hotel. THAT's conservation of resources, I say.
Agreed. I will start driving smaller cars when everyone else does... but I'll probably drive something stylish like a VW bug or a Datsun 280Z from the '70s. Or, I might just go goofy and get a Nash Metropolitan... still a head-turner despite being one of the smallest cars ever to be built.

Quote:
I do like the lighter, stronger materials used in some of the newer cars. Let's face it, Detroit sure knew how to waste a ton of unneeded sheet metal in the "good old days". But there are still lots of 50's and 60's vehicles running around that are truly graceful and beautiful classics. Maybe we need a new thread? Pick the ten most beautiful cars of all time and take votes?
Check out my new thread on exactly this topic. Good idea, Franklyn!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:23 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Subaru B9 Tribeca: The front end design looks like it was taken from a 3-year-old's finger painting. And what's with that crazy name, anyway?
Tribeca = lower tip of Manhattan. It's a shortening of "Triangle Below Canal Street."

I've also heard the same reference to the southern tip of Charleston SC: Triangle Below Calhoun Street. I don't think the locals there use that designation though.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
who makes this?
Well according to Wikipedia it was made on the Isle of Man in the UK for only two years in the 1960's by the Manx Peel Engineering Works, ltd., and when new cost only 199, which today would equal a little over $400 USD. When you drove it to work you could pick it up on one end and just wheel it into your office, it was so small and narrow. Fit through the doors and on all the elevators and escalators of the time, even.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 PM

26,881 posts, read 38,123,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Looks like Steve Urkel's car.

When I was in high school two of my buddies and myself were walking home one day and saw one of these parked outside a bar. As we looked it over the owner (drunk as a skunk) came out a opened the front to get in - with much laughter on our part.

It wouldn't start! He popped open the "door" and asked us to give him a push. We got behind it, took two steps, he popped the clutch and took off, giving us a nice wave of thanks.

We just stood there staring. That thing started easier than a lawnmower. More laughter!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,633,822 times
Quote:
Well according to Wikipedia it was made on the Isle of Man in the UK for only two years in the 1960's by the Manx Peel Engineering Works, ltd., and when new cost only 199, which today would equal a little over $400 USD. When you drove it to work you could pick it up on one end and just wheel it into your office, it was so small and narrow. Fit through the doors and on all the elevators and escalators of the time, even.
Opps sorry I did not mean the peel p50 I meant this that another person posted...
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.au...01/epod1_1.jpg

Old 06-04-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Opps sorry I did not mean the peel p50 I meant this that another person posted...
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.au...01/epod1_1.jpg
Sorry, that's a "sporty" version of the Smart Fourtwo, I believe. Made by MBZ and sold originally in dense European cities.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:49 PM

11,769 posts, read 15,788,877 times
Default 1948 Davis Divan sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabertawe View Post
Do you think that this is the ugliest car ever made?
How about the 1948 Davis Divan sedan?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or