U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 AM
 
3,088 posts, read 7,633,822 times
Reputation: 2024

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
who makes this?




I love weird looking cars I would trade my corolla for that isetta in a heartbeat.

http://www.modernmicrocars.co.uk/images/p50sale.jpg (broken link)
^peel p50


YouTube - topgear : jeremy clarkson drives the peel p50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Floribama
13,483 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Reputation: 11884
The Buick Rendezvous (cousin to Aztek) was ugly too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Lettuce Land
681 posts, read 2,522,108 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
I'm not sure if a car that is more than, say, 30 years old can really qualify as being "ugly". They all looked different back in the day.
Love your list, but don't totally agree with it.

Used to think the way you do till I took a few holidays to London and came to appreciate a car you can drive through the narrow and twisted roads of the inner city during all sorts of bleak weather, park in half a space, and only put in a liter of fuel per week. With a little style. Can't all be bad - for their locale.

In this country it only has a tiny specialty niche, and sure isn't made for the open road - or front-end crashes. Still, when you can park a car nose in to the curb in less than half a normal space and not stick out onto the roadway that's got to make a design impression on any car fancier. Once saw six Smarts and two motorcycles in three parking spaces next to my hotel. THAT's conservation of resources, I say.

I do like the lighter, stronger materials used in some of the newer cars. Let's face it, Detroit sure knew how to waste a ton of unneeded sheet metal in the "good old days". But there are still lots of 50's and 60's vehicles running around that are truly graceful and beautiful classics. Maybe we need a new thread? Pick the ten most beautiful cars of all time and take votes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 12:56 PM
 
681 posts, read 2,498,917 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Love your list, but don't totally agree with it.
Good thing you're an American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Used to think the way you do till I took a few holidays to London and came to appreciate a car you can drive through the narrow and twisted roads of the inner city during all sorts of bleak weather, park in half a space, and only put in a liter of fuel per week. With a little style. Can't all be bad - for their locale.
I agree, but this is America. I drove a Cadillac through Brooklyn and it wasn't pleasant... if Brooklyn were actually safe, I'd say screw the car and ride a bike. Small cars can be stylish... come on, who doesn't love a VW bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
In this country it only has a tiny specialty niche, and sure isn't made for the open road - or front-end crashes.
America is almost all open road, which lends itself nicely to front-end crashes. From having been in such a crash myself with a Cadillac, I cannot in good faith recommend that anyone drive a small car in America. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Still, when you can park a car nose in to the curb in less than half a normal space and not stick out onto the roadway that's got to make a design impression on any car fancier. Once saw six Smarts and two motorcycles in three parking spaces next to my hotel. THAT's conservation of resources, I say.
Agreed. I will start driving smaller cars when everyone else does... but I'll probably drive something stylish like a VW bug or a Datsun 280Z from the '70s. Or, I might just go goofy and get a Nash Metropolitan... still a head-turner despite being one of the smallest cars ever to be built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
I do like the lighter, stronger materials used in some of the newer cars. Let's face it, Detroit sure knew how to waste a ton of unneeded sheet metal in the "good old days". But there are still lots of 50's and 60's vehicles running around that are truly graceful and beautiful classics. Maybe we need a new thread? Pick the ten most beautiful cars of all time and take votes?
Check out my new thread on exactly this topic. Good idea, Franklyn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Subaru B9 Tribeca: The front end design looks like it was taken from a 3-year-old's finger painting. And what's with that crazy name, anyway?
Tribeca = lower tip of Manhattan. It's a shortening of "Triangle Below Canal Street."

I've also heard the same reference to the southern tip of Charleston SC: Triangle Below Calhoun Street. I don't think the locals there use that designation though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Lettuce Land
681 posts, read 2,522,108 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
who makes this?
Well according to Wikipedia it was made on the Isle of Man in the UK for only two years in the 1960's by the Manx Peel Engineering Works, ltd., and when new cost only 199, which today would equal a little over $400 USD. When you drove it to work you could pick it up on one end and just wheel it into your office, it was so small and narrow. Fit through the doors and on all the elevators and escalators of the time, even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 PM
 
26,881 posts, read 38,123,724 times
Reputation: 34817
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Looks like Steve Urkel's car.

When I was in high school two of my buddies and myself were walking home one day and saw one of these parked outside a bar. As we looked it over the owner (drunk as a skunk) came out a opened the front to get in - with much laughter on our part.

It wouldn't start! He popped open the "door" and asked us to give him a push. We got behind it, took two steps, he popped the clutch and took off, giving us a nice wave of thanks.

We just stood there staring. That thing started easier than a lawnmower. More laughter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 PM
 
3,088 posts, read 7,633,822 times
Reputation: 2024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Well according to Wikipedia it was made on the Isle of Man in the UK for only two years in the 1960's by the Manx Peel Engineering Works, ltd., and when new cost only 199, which today would equal a little over $400 USD. When you drove it to work you could pick it up on one end and just wheel it into your office, it was so small and narrow. Fit through the doors and on all the elevators and escalators of the time, even.
Opps sorry I did not mean the peel p50 I meant this that another person posted...
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.au...01/epod1_1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Lettuce Land
681 posts, read 2,522,108 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Opps sorry I did not mean the peel p50 I meant this that another person posted...
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.au...01/epod1_1.jpg
Sorry, that's a "sporty" version of the Smart Fourtwo, I believe. Made by MBZ and sold originally in dense European cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2008, 12:49 PM
 
Location: TX and NM on the border of the Great Southwest.
11,769 posts, read 15,788,877 times
Reputation: 22423
Default 1948 Davis Divan sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabertawe View Post
Do you think that this is the ugliest car ever made?
How about the 1948 Davis Divan sedan?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top