U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 05:28 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,521,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I woud only run ethnol in a car made for it because of corrsion and the effect on standard rubber . Besides ethnol lke E85 in test gets between 20 ans 27% less mileage.Pure 100 octane gasoline is called iso-actane or used to be called marine white gasoline. Refineries used it as a test products too.All gasoline contains additives now days. Enthnol as a additive also has been shown to cause more carbon buildup since its use started.It was mandated as a additve for ten per cent and there are no plans to increase that mandate. It can't for example be pipeline so its near site usage only and has to be trucked.
You got that right. The chain of Gas City gas stations in my area sell E85 for 10 cents less per gallon than regular gas. You would have to be crazy to buy it. You save 4% on the cost of the fuel but use 25% more fuel. Whose brilliant idea was that anyway.

Actually these is some talk of increasing the ethanol content of gasoline to 15%. Archer Daniels Midland is lobbying very heavily to get this passed. I guarantee you at 15% levels there are going to be major problems. Much more than at 10%.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Yes ;i saw a tachnical show here they tested and loked at flex-fuel vehciles and one of the tings they found as a unusaul amount of carbon buildup. That can be celaned but takes more mainteance. There is alos less product produced from a barel fo crude when using enthnol as a aditve instaed of others.Overall its all a politcal thing and can be much expanded becuase of the corrision problem an dhte exp[ense of trucking it which comsume more fuel.That is probaly why the producers are wanting more per centage because its heavily subsidesed and requires alot of energy to prodcue. Its not a winning situation except for the producers really.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:30 PM

773 posts, read 2,001,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
By the way, not to derail the thread but since we were talking about gas, I had a few little questions for any takers:

2. The price I saw was for something called ECONOMY GAS 86 octane. I laughed to myself because as far as I knew, the lowest required gas by all cars I had ever seen was regular unleaded 87. I wondered why they made this 86 octane. Anyone ever see it or know anything about it?
"Straight" regular gasoline is usually refined as 86 octane, because when it is blended with 10% ethanol, the resulting blend is 87% octane. (Ethanol has a high octane rating.) The blending is done at the dealer, just before he ships it to the retailers. I guess in this case the dealer decided to ship the unblended 86 octane as well.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:19 PM

3,699 posts, read 6,714,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I would prefer gas with no ethanol in it at all, if I could get it. I'm not sure what I can get that does not have the "hooch" already in it, maybe avgas.
There is one station in my area where I can still get "the real thing." The air base used to have it too, but they recently turned coat and sell only the junk now.
I pay at least 30 cents a gallon extra for it, but it balances out in better MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Hooch?
Alky-haul. Booze. Moonshine. Everclear.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:24 PM

3,699 posts, read 6,714,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Very few states have gasoline without ethanol anymore. I last saw it in Wyoming.

Ethanol does reduce the energy content of gasoline but has a high octane rating so you probably won't notice much difference except a slight decrease of mileage. Octane ratings will vary from state to state with 93 being closest to the old leaded 'premium' but 91 is usually adequate.

I feel my car runs best on straight gasoline but I can't buy it here.
Michigan seems to have God's Gas. I think Ohio does also.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
Anybody know where I can get plain regular gas with no hooch within a reasonable drive from Central Washington? Anybody? Buehler?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,733 times
I have a motorcycle and the manual says not to use over 5% ethanol. Does premium gas have less than regular? Also, I live near Tampa does anyone know where I can get non ethanol? Thanks , Tony A.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:31 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I wouldn’t look at this any different than any other recall. Toyota failed to design the fuel rail in a way that is resistant to certain corrosive properties of ethanol.
They didn't fail to design the fuel rail in any way, it's just that the rest of the world knows better than to mix Ethanol into all available fuel types.

First thing I noticed when filling up a car here in the states was that the gas smelled... well, bad.

I'm used to 95 Octane (though I'll se 93 every now and then, but god knows who buys that.) being the lowest rating with Shell making a 99 Octane blend, being the highest.

Is there anywhere in the Dallas area you can get at least 95, but pref 98 Octane from a pump? Or would I have to buy race fuel and mix it in?

Old 12-04-2009, 02:29 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
You got that right. The chain of Gas City gas stations in my area sell E85 for 10 cents less per gallon than regular gas. You would have to be crazy to buy it. You save 4% on the cost of the fuel but use 25% more fuel. Whose brilliant idea was that anyway.

Actually these is some talk of increasing the ethanol content of gasoline to 15%. Archer Daniels Midland is lobbying very heavily to get this passed. I guarantee you at 15% levels there are going to be major problems. Much more than at 10%.
I'm always intrigued by these ethanol debates. There is such a wide disparity of strongly held opinions.

Several years ago, when we still lived in Minnesota, several local gas stations sold E85. I don't know whether it was mandated, or just a local thing, but E85 was always exactly 50 cents per gallon cheaper than regular. At the time, regular gas was $1.50 per gallon, so E85 was $1.00. Any chance I got, I'd fill my '97 VW Golf with E85. My mileage would always drop from 31 mpg to 26 mpg when running E85 - a 17% reduction. I could not discern any change in performance, and I never had any problems running E85, so it was very much worth it. However, I do not now run E85 because it's only a couple cents per gallon cheaper, and not worth it.

I'm also puzzled by the claims of drastic drops in mileage, while running ethanol blend gas. I have a cousin who drives a late-90s Ford F250 4x4. He claims he gets 13 mpg running regular gas, but drops to 10 mpg when he runs ethanol blend. I have no reason to doubt his word, but I have never had that kind of mileage difference when running ethanol blend. Dodge Caravan, VW Golf, Ford Focus. No discernible difference for any of them.

I've also never had any ethanol-related performance or mechanical problems with any of my vehicles.

I know that this is all anecdotal and personal experience related. Even so, the whole debate just puzzles me.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:37 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
They didn't fail to design the fuel rail in any way, it's just that the rest of the world knows better than to mix Ethanol into all available fuel types.

First thing I noticed when filling up a car here in the states was that the gas smelled... well, bad.

I'm used to 95 Octane (though I'll se 93 every now and then, but god knows who buys that.) being the lowest rating with Shell making a 99 Octane blend, being the highest.

Is there anywhere in the Dallas area you can get at least 95, but pref 98 Octane from a pump? Or would I have to buy race fuel and mix it in?
It's worth noting that we calculate octane differently here. Most of the rest of the world just labels it with the research octane number (RON). Here in the U.S. we calculate octane by adding the research octane number plus the motor octane number, then divide the result by two [(RON+MON)/2]. A rough guide is to take the U.S. octane rating and add 4 to obtain the number used in the rest of the world. So what you call 95 octane, we actually call 91 octane. In the U.S. the highest octane usually on offer is anywhere from 91 (or 95 as you'd call it) to 93 octane (or 97 as you'd call it) depending on your geographic location. If you feel the highest available in your area is inadequate, a cheap and easy way to boost your octane is to add a bit of toluene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive