Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:10 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times

Advertisements

Interstates are among the safest roads in the US.

If you want to slow down and conserve fuel, that is your right to. Quit trying to have government come in and legislate everything all the time.

And again, I will put it in big words for everyone, THERE IS NO SUPPLY PROBLEM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 07:19 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
55 would not only save gas it would save lives!!

It saves both! End of thread.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:34 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
It saves both! End of thread.
lol,,, so funny.

Again, please provide up-to-date statistically-valid non-biased scientific studies that prove or refute these claims.

Then, such thread can be closed.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
55 did not work before - it certainly will not work now.

Coming back from California today, on I-10, the speed limit was 75 - I set the cruise at 81 - and drivers were upset with me for going so slow.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:10 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
People would scream and fight it the whole way, but it does make a difference. I slowed down from 80 to 65, and my mileage went up by 33%. I'm spending the same amount per mile with $4 gas as I did with $3 gas. I just get there a little slower.....
And your time has no value? mine does!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:58 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
And your time has no value? mine does!
I ran the numbers and it came out to $50/hr tax free. I'll take it....

Old 06-01-2008, 10:08 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
nope they changed the speed limit on the interstate to 70 in 1987....the first day of the change I drove from Atlantic City NJ to Terre Haute indiana....boy was I movin lol

Old 06-01-2008, 10:33 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
i just can not beleave that some states have 70 or higher. i guess they don't realize that speed kills and speed consumes alot more fuel. these states need to take a step back and adjust their laws. this day and age 70 75 or 80 mph does not make any sense at all. WAKE UP!!!
That is not true, cars are more efficient on the highway. That is why they Highway MPG is higher than that of City MPG when you look at the details of any car.

Speed does not kill, its the idiots that do.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:36 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
A bad idea, and this is something the feds should stay out of. It is none of their business.

They need to regulate speculators, that will do more good than the idiotic 55.

They've taken over education despite having no authority to do so. There are some things they do well and many things they do poorly.

A better idea is to start disassembling some of the useless and top heavy bureaucracy before it crashes of its own weight.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:30 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
As a firemen i have been to a number of car crashes and most of them that had serious injuries were speeding. speed plays a big factor in deaths and injuries. i have been to car crashes where if they hadn't been speeding they wouldn,t have lost control of their vehicle. some people don't realize that the faster you go the less control you have of your vehicle.
That may be true, but you're assuming that people will comply with a new 55 mph speed limit. They didn't comply before and I believe that in this day and age, people are less likely to comply. As for fuel savings, the numbers quoted assume 100% compliance; that is an unrealistic assumption.

Where I live in the Chicago suburbs, the speed limit on all the tollways and expressways is already 55 since it's near a major metropolitan area. NO ONE goes 55 through those areas. Drivers regularly go over 70 mph. Everyone is in a hurry at rush hour. Reducing speeds on Interstates going through highly rural states is pointless since those areas have the lowest fatality rates around because of the lack of traffic.

Short of implementing a police state, I wonder how we would force people in my area to drive 55? It's just not a natural speed limit on an expressway with a modern car. Besides, why should Americans feel guilty about driving fast. Germans have very high speed limits or no limits at all on the autobahn, yet Europeans point the finger at us for using too much energy. Something I don't understand here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive