U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:58 PM

5,261 posts, read 10,186,897 times

Advertisements

I have a TURBO air cooled VW bug that I just love. As a VW mechanic, I blue printed, balanced,and did some small R&D while building it. All if not most mechanics have some idea that they would like to implement on a specific engine. This was mine. Understand that others with the same size cc and inards are putting out 200HP. This a street driven car. I get 15-16 mpg avg normal driving, but the kick is the power of a 6 cyl with a 15 lbs of boost whenever I want it. This is from a 4 cyl. Do others have similiar or BETTER HP and mpg? Looking for good info as there are some more knowledged then me. Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 05:56 PM

1,357 posts, read 3,571,343 times
well my stock WRX is a turbo 2.5 boxer, makes just shy of 1 bar boost, and I get 24-25mpg in mixed driving Subaru rated it at 224hp/230tq but Cobb tuning recorded 202 at the wheels from a stock car, suggesting it's actually making closer to 240/280 crank...

Turbo bugs are pretty cool though; with the power you are running that should be a mid 12's car I would think.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:55 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,684,624 times
My 03 Saab turbo 4 cylinder is rated at 205 hp and gets 32 MPG cruising on the interstate around 70-75. That's best case ya understand but pretty damned good. And the car is fairly fast too.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:19 AM

36,357 posts, read 57,087,822 times
I've owned 7 turbocharged cars, including the Saab sitting in my driveway right now. I've only had two problems directly related to the turbocharger: with one, the wastegate got stuck shut causing an overboost condition, and the turbo had to be taken off and the wastegate unstuck from the inside. Cost: $300. The other, I blew a head gasket, most likely owing to the fact that the factory boost setting was 9psi and I had it dialed up to about 14. Probably wouldn't have been an issue except that it was an 18-year-old high-mileage car and it was being subjected to boost levels well beyond what it was built for.

General issues caused by turbochargers is more heat under the hood which can wear out rubber and plastic components quicker, and it can accelerate piston ring wear if you're into the turbo all the time. Higher mileage turbo cars almost invariably have some blow-by. Finally, there's always the peculiar driving dynamic of a turbocharged car where you have almost no low-end grunt and then all of a sudden the power kicks in like someone flipped on a switch. This is particularly an issue on smaller 4-cylinders; not as much an issue on six-cylinders. Some manufacturers remedy this with a sequential turbo setup: smaller turbo down low to reduce initial turbo lag, then the larger turbo comes online up top for high-end power that the smaller turbo can't deliver. The 3rd generation Mazda RX7 and 4th generation Toyota Supra Turbo had this setup, as does the current BMW 335/535.

The advantages are pretty obvious: more power on tap when you need it with the fuel economy of a small engine during highway cruising. There's something exhilarating about the disconnect between the sound a small turbocharged engine makes and the kind of power it puts out.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:23 AM

4,214 posts, read 11,885,303 times
I have a 1987 Buick Regal that came with the same turbocharged 3.8 liter that the Grand National and the GNX had.

I think it's nice that the car is docile at cruise and gets 17 mpg/25 but as soon as you put your foot into it, it gets out of it's own way in a hurry. Plus it's comfy to ride in and has sturdy drivetrain components.

Of course there are down sides too. Blown head gaskets are common if you are running too much boost and do not have either high octane fuel or alcohol injection. Parts can be hard to come by. And in the case of the Regals, they are high theft cars.

But nothing is as priceless when you just blew the doors off of a 4.6 Mustang or an LS1 Camaro/Firebird or even just waxed a ZO6 Corvette's @ss.....all with a little tiny V6.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:04 AM

10,530 posts, read 6,468,013 times
I've just had the turbo replaced on a 2001 BMW 530D (diesel with 107,000 miles on the clock) with auto transmission, on the advice of an independant BMW garage.

I was getting the situation where I'd hit the gas peddle while driving and the revs would go up but there was no accelleration- potentially extremely dangerous if overtaking!

They said that the unit was overboosting and so the engine shut down- forgive me as I am not technical in these matters! This was an intermittant fault, but the fuel consumption was dreadfull.

Now it has been replaced fuel consumption is fine, but darn it- the same thing seems to have happened again. It went in yesterday and the OBC has not logged a problem.

Reading this thread I noticed Drover talk about a stuck wastegate and wonder if this may be an issue here.

Sorry if I've hijacked the thread, but it seemed a good place to raise the question.
By the way, I've already had the head gasket blow and replaced! Thanks in advance for any input.

Anyone want a BM?

Old 06-01-2008, 03:11 AM

11,167 posts, read 18,555,303 times
I get 52 mpg on my TDI Passat (B4)

I only get 44MPG on my 1.6 TD IDI GTD

I am trying to build a 75 MPG Scirocco, and debating on turbo or not to turbo... tho theory points to turbo, I'm not so sure I can get 75 mpg from and IDI, but probably a TDI. (If I had a spare 1Z engine hanging around).

Old 06-01-2008, 03:36 AM

36,357 posts, read 57,087,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I've just had the turbo replaced on a 2001 BMW 530D (diesel with 107,000 miles on the clock) with auto transmission, on the advice of an independant BMW garage.

I was getting the situation where I'd hit the gas peddle while driving and the revs would go up but there was no accelleration- potentially extremely dangerous if overtaking!

They said that the unit was overboosting and so the engine shut down- forgive me as I am not technical in these matters! This was an intermittant fault, but the fuel consumption was dreadfull.

Now it has been replaced fuel consumption is fine, but darn it- the same thing seems to have happened again. It went in yesterday and the OBC has not logged a problem.

Reading this thread I noticed Drover talk about a stuck wastegate and wonder if this may be an issue here.

Sorry if I've hijacked the thread, but it seemed a good place to raise the question.
By the way, I've already had the head gasket blow and replaced! Thanks in advance for any input.

Anyone want a BM?
The guys who advised you to replace the turbo didn't know what they were talking about. First, if it were a stuck wastegate, replacing the turbo would have resolved the issue. Or, if your car has an external wastegate (doubtful), they would have advised you to replace that instead of the turbo unit.

If the engine was shutting down, the revs wouldn't go up while you were stepping on the accelerator but going nowhere. When the computer cuts fuel delivery because of overboost, it basically feels like someone stabbed the brakes really hard for a tenth of a second. It's annoying as hell.

It sounds to me like your transmission may be slipping. Don't quote me on that though, but that's what it sounds like based on your description of the symptom.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:48 AM

10,530 posts, read 6,468,013 times
Thanks Drover.

I didn't explain the symptoms as well as I should.

Have to drive to work now- wish me luck!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:20 AM

5,261 posts, read 10,186,897 times
My system is a Draw thru and the waste gate is in the exhaust system. It is pressure adjustable but I took it off and basically never look at the boost guage but listen to the sound of the engine and the exceleration of the car when to shift gears. It is very easy to blow a engine before the turbo unit quits. As for gas mileage, the power is B*****n every once in a while. The feeling of being pushed back into my seat is the same as when I drove my Dragster down the 1/4 mile strip on Race day. I just love the feeling. Man, its better then SEX. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive