Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,861,170 times

Advertisements

I've been looking around for a convertsion kit to go to Compressed Natural Gas since it looks like you get the same mileage,burns clean,can fill at home and the key is IT'S CHEAPER.
I know the major auto makers made CNG vehicles until a couple of years ago so what happened?
Any ideas why if there's many upsides why it's not more prevelent? I'm not talking the old saw "the oil companies are burying it" but some real reasons.
Anyone have experience with CNG?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,526,017 times
The State of Massachusetts has a bunch of CNG fueled vans. There are only 5 fuel stations and the trucks can only go 250 miles in a thankful. This is not very practical even in a small state. Besides there is a considerable energy loss compressing the gas and the requirement for very strong tanks.

GNG is not a impractical as Hydrogen gas but is close.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:44 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,809,587 times
It would be very expensive to convert your vehicle to NG. The best bet is to buy one built for that purpose. You can still purchase new vehivles, and also there are plenty of older, used NG vehicles available. You might even be able to find a us one with a HOV lane pass, to drive in the car pool lane with one person. That program is over, but some vehicles still have the pass and they are grandfathered in.
As far as filling at home, not too likely. The Honda used to have a unit available for Honda's only, to fill at home. The cost of a home station would bankrupt you. You would have to go to a NGV station.
Until I retired, I ran a fleet of NG vehicles, and a NG fueling station, so I'm familiar with the concept.
Here is a link to NGV stations, and one on what Honda offers for 2008.
Have fun...
NGV Fueling Locations

2008 Honda Civic GX - the Official Honda Web Site

Old 06-02-2008, 02:18 PM

392 posts, read 1,854,170 times
I have owned a 2 natural gas vehicles. The first was a '92 Ford Ranger that was a former govt. fleet vehicle. It had an older GFI system. The manufacturer was either out of business or just didn't support them anymore but it didn't matter since the system worked pretty much flawlessly other than some minor adjustments I could do myself.
The second was a '99 Honda GX. It also ran perfectly never needed to service the CNG system.
I have never heard of a do it yourself system. The system is, obviously, compressed. It is a sealed and pressurized, not really DIY type stuff, not even stuff regular car mechanics will work on.
Here is a link for Fuelmaker which produces the home filling station.
index It is not Honda specific.
Last I checked they would only fill at low pressure which is OK as since you are at home and probably not in a big hurry but would mean that you would not be able to go as far on a tank. They must be installed by a licensed professional and are not cheap.
The cars have advantages of being cleaner in the emissions but also just the dirt in the engine. They need oil changes and other maintenance less frequently. An engine that runs on CNG should last longer.
The down side is
Lack of fueling stations, Many areas have none. For me it meant a about a 15 mile drive r/t when I wanted to fill. That wasn't bad when I was commuting past a station, it was a lot of gas and time wasted to fill up when I wasn't.
Cost, home fueling stations are expensive. Buying it the pump in my area (SoCal) was expensive. I don't know the current price but it was costing me more than regular gas would. In other states it is much cheaper. When a particular company took over almost all the stations around here the price went way up, they had a lock on the market.
Range, yes, the vehicles get about the same MPG as a regular car. They typically (unless you upgrade to multiple tanks) don't have the range of a car that runs gasoline. I believe I filled my GX every 150 miles if I filled it at 3600 PSI, I would get less if I filled at 3000 PSI. You don't want to run out, no one can "bring you" a gallon of gas, you will need a tow.
Public perception, people are scared of natural gas. They think it is going to blow up. It is actually safer, unless your vehicle leaks in enclosed space the gas will quickly dissipate, not pool like gasoline. However I met lots of people that were convinced I was a rolling bomb

Old 06-02-2008, 03:37 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
Because CNG has been around a ong itme and there ahve always been more of them in use.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,861,170 times
Oh well, I guess that shoots that idea in the foot!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive