Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:32 AM

2,080 posts, read 6,933,518 times

Advertisements

Interesting? Should we rethink our options for a Japanese alternative?

Hyundai Elantra sitting pretty atop <i>Consumer Reports</i> list - Autoblog

I've always heard they were improving in quality, but this much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 11:55 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,963,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Interesting? Should we rethink our options for a Japanese alternative?

Hyundai Elantra sitting pretty atop <i>Consumer Reports</i> list - Autoblog

I've always heard they were improving in quality, but this much?

The only reason to consider a Hyundai before was price....now the price has gone up as they have sold more vehicles...so to me, there is absolutely no reason to pick Hyundai over proven reliable cars like Honda and Toyota.
Until I see 25 year old Hyundais running strong the way we see now with Honda and Toyota, there is no reason to buy a Hyundai. Most 10 year old Hyundais are now in junkyards....while a 10 year old Honda or Toyota is just being broken in.
I have owned 2 Honda Accords, and we bought a Toyota Corolla last year and love them. We had a Hyundai Elantra before that, and it was garbage. A cheapo dollar store version of a Civic or Corolla.....lots of cheap crappy parts. The transmission was dying at just over 40,000 miles. Junk. Never again.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:17 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,946,801 times
yes, being a loyal Toyota customer for many many years...4 Cars (2 Camry's, 1 Rav-4, and 1 Corolla) I think Hyundai is a fine product. I have posted before, I went with a 2006 Sonata GLS at the end of 2005. I have been pleased with the car so far...i have roughly 54k miles to date. I average a new vehicle every 3 years or so. I will consider going back to the Camry next time around or just get into another Sonata...I will see what the best deal is, price, standard equipment, cost of options for both, etc at that time...I believe comparing a Hyundai in today's market to when they were first introduced in the 80's, is not a fair comparison. Also, it goes by how you take care of your vehicle, whether it be a Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, etc...

Old 06-03-2008, 12:30 PM

Yes, but 54,000 miles is still not a true barometer of long-term reliability. To compete with Honda and Toyota, Hyundais will have to get well over 100,000 with relatively no trouble other than routine maintenance. I had a horrible experience with Hyundai, and we only had it to a little over 40,000 miles. Even if the current Hyundais are better, the fact is that the prices have gone up on them, and price was the main reason to buy a Hyundai in the first place. If you're going to spend about the same amount of money, why not go with proven reliability in Honda or Toyota, rather than taking a gamble on Hyundai?

And our Hyundai was very well cared for....by the book for maintenance.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:45 PM

MrKrabs, when was your purchase of your Hyundai?
Just curious.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
MrKrabs, when was your purchase of your Hyundai?
Just curious.

2003. It was a used 2001 Elantra with 14,000 miles on it, in like-new condition, bought from a local Hyundai dealer. Traded it last year for a 2007 Toyota Corolla.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:04 PM

Sorry you got a bad one! I'm neither for or against Hyundai. But, I just thought it was interesting that Consumer Reports gave it a High score. I wonder how J.D. Power assoc. will rate the company?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:09 PM

JD Power did rank Hyundai pretty high, but for "initial quality." That has to be the biggest oxymoron I've ever heard..."initial quality." I would think just about any car could be called "quality" when its brand new off the lot....quality is measured long-term.

And Consumer Reports likewise is ranking brand-new Hyundai models. Time will tell if these newer Hyundais are reliable vehicles or not. Until then, I'm content with Honda and Toyota and their great track record for quality. And even if Hyundai becomes on par with them, I will still never buy one.....my Hyundai experience has left a bad taste in my mouth, and I will never buy one again.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:20 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,669,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
JD Power did rank Hyundai pretty high, but for "initial quality." That has to be the biggest oxymoron I've ever heard..."initial quality." I would think just about any car could be called "quality" when its brand new off the lot....quality is measured long-term.

And Consumer Reports likewise is ranking brand-new Hyundai models. Time will tell if these newer Hyundais are reliable vehicles or not. Until then, I'm content with Honda and Toyota and their great track record for quality. And even if Hyundai becomes on par with them, I will still never buy one.....my Hyundai experience has left a bad taste in my mouth, and I will never buy one again.
Having been a tech and service mgr at both foreign and domestic dealers I can assure you that many cars have problems before they are bought. No initial quality.

I'm also old enough to remember the same thing being said, and rightfully so, about Toyota, Honda and Datsun (Nissan for you youngsters) that is now being said about Hyundai. But they, like Hyundai, improved. I bought a Hyundai in 98 and liked it well enough to buy an 07. As hard as my 17 yr old tried to destroy my 98 Tiburon it held up. One thing to realize, whatever the condition of your Toyota or Honda in 7 years, the Hyundai will still have a warranty.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 PM

190 posts, read 650,078 times
like i said in a thread a while back, i don't put much stock in consumer reports. the term: initial quality is not something to consider when the car ages. consumer reports gave the ford Taurus #1 for like 10 years or something, and look, that is one of the worse cars ever built.

i believe hyundia is doing better things, but they make the kia, and they only stated making kia's to take the spotlight off hyundia's name and say look, kia's suck more... well great job, now fix those kia's and you may get a better reputation.

all i know is hyundia is making a better car these days than many American cars coming out of Detroit ( or Mexico for that matter ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia