Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:19 AM

41,695 posts, read 74,634,436 times

Advertisements

I remember the "Hungry? Eat your foreign car" t-shirts. They were quite prevalent in and around Dayton, GM town that it is, in the late 70s and early 80s.

I wonder how Moraine will weather this. The GM plant was once a Frigidaire plant; when it closed, Moraine and the surrounding towns, including Dayton hit some hard times. When GM began making Chevy S10s there, it was like the second coming. While on one hand it's really amazing that the plant has survived since 1981 (it was closed for two years after Frigidaire shut down the plant), it's still a bit of a shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:42 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
I just learned yesterday that a large dealer( multiple brands and like a mile of stores;is quiting selling the GM brand. I talked to a guy taht I know works there and he said they just can't justify the space and personell for the dales involved. Seems sale of even the cars has drop out.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 PM

172 posts, read 509,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Not being close to Auto mfg plants, I wonder how many UAW auto assembly workers BUY the product they make on the assembly line. Are the employee parking lots full of their production line or maybe those of other makes/or foreign imports?. Just wondering if they buy to help their own paycheck and have a steady job. Steve
You raise a very valid point.
I worked for the Fisher Body Division many, many years ago and even back then workers were switching to foreign or other domestic brands other than GM. And, today's American car buyer needs to support American builders or the entire economy will be out-sourced to Japan and China.

But, the biggest bugaboo for GM is the Union payouts. UAW workers are some of the highest paid workers in the world. That union was formed in the early part of the last century to combat working conditions. In my view the UAW has outlived it's usefullness and is the single most crippling force affecting the American Car Makers.

A recent example of this problem is happening in Vallejo, CA right now. The city wants to file for bankruptcy so they won't have to pay outlandish employee pensions. And, they just might be allowed to do it!

GM has the same problem with UAW retirees and their benefit plans. The company is being eaten alive from the inside.

Higher gas mileage is only a short term fix. Ethanol is not the answer. "Green' cars are not the answer either. Shoot, we had 'electric' cars back in 1910! The technology hasn't improved very much.

Until the American driver is willing to give up his 'ride' and take the bus or the train, we're going to continue to need cars from Detroit.
Buy American!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,834,468 times
Traderjack could not have said it better. The country is having a oil problem which is needed for gas. Even with these problems, Washington is going to allow foreign auto builders to build more auto assembly plants in the US. We DO NOT NEED more plants. The free trade or right to fair competition does not apply to other countries within our borders. We (US) do not need outside manufacturers building and creating an internal problem were it being Auto plants or any other type of manufacturing. If they want to build, then let it be inside their own country and not using the excuse of putting American workers to work as if we (US) are not able to take care of ourselves. I do understand that GM and FORD have some connection with plants in Europe of which I do not agree with. With the price of Gas in those countries, it does not make sense. Guess its a matter of scratching each others back and the H*** with the workers. American UAW workers have CUT their own throats by demanding the moon. I just knew that the last couple times they went on strike the Big Three were caving in to a demand that they would not be able to fulfill. I was right. Plants being closed and yet Japan and Germany want to build more here. The stupidity is hillarious. Steve

Old 06-10-2008, 01:11 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
Your over looking the wants and the preferences of the buying public.The only thing keeping foreign cars out will do is driveup their prices to teh consumer. What the domestic makers need to do is make a better;cheaper product period. They got themselves in their mess and need to get themselves out. To compete they have for years gone out side the US to make cheaper products to assemble here anyway. Any industry that can compete world wide will die-off in the end. But if you look at GN's froeign salwes they are still good;its their domestic products that the american consumers have judged as second class.Notice that those plants they all want to build are not UAW .

Old 06-10-2008, 03:12 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,644,447 times
Don't forget that GM like all long-term companies is "top heavy" with outlandish executive and CEO pay. That kind of structure is less competitive than companies who limit wasteful compensation for top-level parasites.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:50 PM

172 posts, read 509,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Don't forget that GM like all long-term companies is "top heavy" with outlandish executive and CEO pay. That kind of structure is less competitive than companies who limit wasteful compensation for top-level parasites.
OK. Put yourself in their shoes, and deal with their problems. If you then believe you are a parasite and will say that your pay is outlandish, I'll buy your argument. Until then.... nada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive