Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 11:46 AM

79 posts, read 320,103 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that most new cars (actually, all new cars that I've looked at) do not include those "bump strips" that run horizontally along the side of the car to help prevent dings, dents, scratches, etc.

These strips were dealer installed options ($$) back in the 1970s. Then seemed to become standard from the factory. Now they're gone. Any ideas why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,145 times
Probably has to do with fuel economy but not sure why. You can buy after market and install yourself.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Well, they're ugly, that's the first reason. The second is that now that there are far more dynamic shapes of cars, they provide little utility. We are no longer dealing with flat sides and flat door openings. Vehicle bodies are more sculpted and even door openings are more rounded and sculpted. Basically, it is impossible to place them in a generic location to provide the protection.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:41 PM

290 posts, read 922,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, they're ugly, that's the first reason. The second is that now that there are far more dynamic shapes of cars, they provide little utility. We are no longer dealing with flat sides and flat door openings. Vehicle bodies are more sculpted and even door openings are more rounded and sculpted. Basically, it is impossible to place them in a generic location to provide the protection.
agreed. i took them off a car that I had and it looked so much better.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:04 AM

79 posts, read 320,103 times
Debatable about the aesthetics. Certainly the "slab sided" look was left in the 1970's. I can't believe the removal is due to aerodyamics. Some of the trims were pretty hefty (think those big GM SUVs) so maybe omitting them reduces the weight a bit. Their utility was limited due to the extreme range of door configurations. Still, it bothers me a bit to think about getting a new car and it is entirely left open to violation by doors, shopping carts, etc. But I always park out in BF Egypt anyway.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:41 AM

859 posts, read 2,829,121 times
I think they're gone simply because they look terrible on most cars.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:48 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
Debatable about the aesthetics. Certainly the "slab sided" look was left in the 1970's. I can't believe the removal is due to aerodyamics. Some of the trims were pretty hefty (think those big GM SUVs) so maybe omitting them reduces the weight a bit. Their utility was limited due to the extreme range of door configurations. Still, it bothers me a bit to think about getting a new car and it is entirely left open to violation by doors, shopping carts, etc. But I always park out in BF Egypt anyway.
Back in 2005 I had just bought a new 05 black Lariet pick up and parked it way out in parking lot at a walmart. The wind was blowing good and as I was walking to store I noticed a wayward cart being blown by wind across parking lot.

It was not going in a straight line but managed to turn just enough to slam into the side of my new truck. It dented it and I don't remember if it had guards on it but probably would not of helped anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive