Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
What I mean is if the weight of the car is on the tire. You are not only inflating the tire but raising the car too. Like sitting on a balloon while somebody tries to blow it up. Hard to do.
I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't it be easier to put the weight on the jack and then pump up the tire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,310,996 times
I have used a bike pump to air up a pickup tire before and it was slow going and a good workout. The York style AC compressors used on old Fords and some others work great to convert for using to air up tires and is mobile.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:43 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
What I mean is if the weight of the car is on the tire. You are not only inflating the tire but raising the car too. Like sitting on a balloon while somebody tries to blow it up. Hard to do.
Hehe. I guess the theory is that you put a greater volume of air in the tire at a lower pressure, then when the car is lowered, it compresses the volume and the pressure increases.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:39 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I have never been able to detect any change in tire pressure when jacking a wheel off the ground. In theory it should be a bit less with the tire off the ground, but not enough to matter much.

There are plenty of decent air compressors available, new and used, ones that run on ordinary 115V power. $200 or so will buy a really good one. Heartily agree with Mr. Wilson - get one, you will be glad you did. Not just inflating tires, running air tools, but also cleaning things of dust with compressed air, etc. I would about as soon go without indoor plumbing as without an air compressor around the place.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I bought a Victor tire inflator for about $15 or $20 three years ago from AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts (can't remember which store) I check my tires every month and it finally stopped working, so I think I got my money's worth. I'm not saying I'd highly recommend it (and I think the model has been discontinued) but those cheap 12V tire pumps you plug into your car work in a pinch. Unfortunately, things always seem to break when you need them! It might be worth spending a little more and buying a Craftsman rechargeable pump, since I've been told they work well and there aren't any cords to get in the way. Last month I began having trouble with my connectors (pump was turning on/off every few seconds) and a neighbor offered to get his tire inflator which was a cordless, rechargeable Craftsman. It worked very well and wasn't as noisy as the Victor.

This thread began in 2008, but I can still answer the original question. Yes, a bicycle pump will work, but it will take a very, very long time to even add 1psi. I'm a weakling, so I wouldn't even try, but I've seen people using them. I would recommend buying a tire pump that works faster and is made for automobile tires and keeping it in your trunk for emergencies.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
I can add several pounds pressure to my car tires in only a few minutes. I'm pumping harder putting 95 pounds of pressure in my bicycle tires than I am putting 32 pounds in my car tires. Of course with the car tires I have to pump more times for the greater volume. But it's no big deal.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I can add several pounds pressure to my car tires in only a few minutes. I'm pumping harder putting 95 pounds of pressure in my bicycle tires than I am putting 32 pounds in my car tires. Of course with the car tires I have to pump more times for the greater volume. But it's no big deal.
Are you talking about using a manual bicycle pump on a full size tire (i.e. 225-60-16) I suppose it depends on how strong you are, but I would have a difficult time adding air to my tires quickly, especially if they were very low.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
If the OP started pumping his tire by hand the first day of this thread he should just about have it filled up by now.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:53 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I use my bike pump for the gauge since it goes to 150 psi. All the gauges stop at 55. It works great for truck tires and high pressure tires. I bought some high pressure gauges but they seem to walk off or get lost easily.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Default Inflating tires

I bought a small electric air compressor from Sears for the garage about 25 years ago. It still works fine.

Life is too short to waste it inflating car tires by hand. Get a good gauge with a pressure release so you can over inflate and then drop the pressure to what you want. FWIW I always slightly over inflate tires to improve cornering. Less than 5 psi over makes a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive