U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 67 times

Advertisements

Old thread I know but first result on Google search so here's some relevant information.

TLDR
It takes about 3 minutes to inflate a car tire from flat to full with an average, run of the mill bicycle pump
A bicycle pump is about 1,200% FASTER than a cigarette style air compressor
It's not "a crazy workout" by any means

I noticed every reply on this topic seems anecdotal. Everyone says it will take "200-400" pumps and that said pumps will take "forever"

So, I had a flat this morning.
My spare was also flat.
I inflated both with a bicycle hand pump.
Here is the data.
*Please note that the term "pumps" as used below does not necessarily equal one full up and down stroke. Humans fatigue and the pumps obviously get harder as you go.
*All "Total time" values include the time it took to stop at each benchmark to disconnect pump, measure and record pressure, then reconnect pump

Bicycle pump:
Volume - 567cm³
Max psi - 100
Dual action: NO
(incase that doesn't mean anything to you, it's a middle tier bicycle pump measuring about 3 feet in height when fully extended. The barrel is just wide enough to touch my pointer finger to my thumb when I wrap it around. This pump only pumps on the down stroke, it is not dual action)

Spare tire:
Size - T115/70D15 90M
On car: NO
Jack used: N/A
Starting PSI: 0 PSI
50 pumps: 36 PSI
100 pumps: 60 PSI (Max pressure)
Total time: 174 seconds (2:54)
Difficulty: 2 (equal to walking up four flights of stairs)

Road tire:
Size - 186/65R14
On car: YES (Left, Front. Vehicle weight 2400lbs)
Jack used: NO
Starting PSI: 6 PSI
50 pumps: 19 PSI
100 pumps: 36 PSI (Max pressure)
Total time: 180 seconds (3 minutes)
Difficulty: 2.3 (running up two flights of stairs)

Last edited by Pappy69; 01-23-2019 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 02:16 PM

3,939 posts, read 1,358,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Probably a stupid question. Too cheap to pay 50c for a gas station pump with a bad valve and a broken gauge, can I use my bike pump?

It's the same standard valve, right?
The PSI values are lower than a bike tire (35 PSI for most car tires, 80 for my bike).

Is there any reason a bike pump wouldn't work on a car tire? Obviously the volume of air is higher, so you'll be pumping for a long time, but other than that, is there any reason a bike hand pump can't be used on a car tire?
I have one of those air pumps, with the gauge built in, that plugs into the 12v outlet on my dashboard. You might want to invest in one of those.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:00 PM

25,543 posts, read 60,997,353 times
I have done it with the old fashioned kind of pump that has kickstand on the sides and is about 2.5 feet tall. It pushes more air per pump than a handheld. It took me 3 hours as best I recall. You will have to stop to rest and to let the pump cool. It gets really hot.

I have tried it with one of those little cheapo plug into the lighter pumps. They have a tiny chamber about the size of half your little finger. I plugged it in and let the car run while i went into work. I let it run for about four hours. the tire pressure had increased less than 10 pounds.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:07 PM

176 posts, read 33,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy69 View Post
Old thread I know but first result on Google search so here's some relevant information.

TLDR
It takes about 3 minutes to inflate a car tire from flat to full with an average, run of the mill bicycle pump
A bicycle pump is about 1,200% FASTER than a cigarette style air compressor
It's not "a crazy workout" by any means

I noticed every reply on this topic seems anecdotal. Everyone says it will take "200-400" pumps and that said pumps will take "forever"

So, I had a flat this morning.
My spare was also flat.
I inflated both with a bicycle hand pump.
Here is the data.
*Please note that the term "pumps" as used below does not necessarily equal one full up and down stroke. Humans fatigue and the pumps obviously get harder as you go.
*All "Total time" values include the time it took to stop at each benchmark to disconnect pump, measure and record pressure, then reconnect pump

Bicycle pump:
Volume - 567cm³
Max psi - 100
Dual action: NO
(incase that doesn't mean anything to you, it's a middle tier bicycle pump measuring about 3 feet in height when fully extended. The barrel is just wide enough to touch my pointer finger to my thumb when I wrap it around. This pump only pumps on the down stroke, it is not dual action)

Spare tire:
Size - T115/70D15 90M
On car: NO
Jack used: N/A
Starting PSI: 0 PSI
50 pumps: 36 PSI
100 pumps: 60 PSI (Max pressure)
Total time: 174 seconds (2:54)
Difficulty: 2 (equal to walking up four flights of stairs)

Road tire:
Size - 186/65R14
On car: YES (Left, Front. Vehicle weight 2400lbs)
Jack used: NO
Starting PSI: 6 PSI
50 pumps: 19 PSI
100 pumps: 36 PSI (Max pressure)
Total time: 180 seconds (3 minutes)
Difficulty: 2.3 (running up two flights of stairs)

I have done it just to put 10 pounds of air in a leaking tire. It's a good deltoid workout. Doing on a completely flat tire wold be tough. I can't imagine doing it in 3 minutes. I think it would take 10. My pump is old though and doesn't pump as well as it used to.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:03 PM

303 posts, read 754,063 times
I used to always buy used tires, doing this did have me use a bike pump many times . Eventually I realized stop being so cheap, you're not doing that bad just buy new. So with buying these used tires, they would go in some months or one or two of the tires would go low and I would have to get the bike pump out. It is definitely a workout! Maybe 10 years ago give or take I bought used tires and the next morning one of the tires was completely flat. I had to bring out the bike pump, maybe 20 or so minutes later good as new or rather good as the crappy tire they sold me to get to the used tire shop and replace. Couple years ago I came out in the morning about to go to work and I have a completely flat tire, I yet again got the bike pump out and I got to pumping. 5 or 10 minutes later I had an Uber on the way, I wasn't even making a dent when I was pumping that completely flat tire, plus I'm getting older, not a young buck anymore.

If your tire is running a little low, using a bike pump to get the tire in better shape will take time and it will be somewhat of a workout or a real workout depending on person and how bad the tire is. Can't say I recommend using a bike pump.

Old Today, 05:38 PM

1 posts
I do this all the time. If you only need to top up tires, it’s quicker and more accurate than visiting a gas station and putting quarters in their pump. Between 20 and 50 pumps per tire takes only 3-4 minutes all up. Use one of those cheap pencil gauges to make sure you get the pressure right.

Old Today, 06:55 PM

3,150 posts, read 1,429,380 times
I can just pull into the service area of my Chevy dealer anytime and fill my tires for nothing.
There's an air hose hanging from the ceiling. Costs nothing, it's real fast and it not cold in there.

Old Today, 09:44 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,972,570 times
I've had a few of those 12 volt pumps you plug into the cigarette lighter. They usually last me around 5 to 8 years of moderate use before the hose starts to bulge or crack inside the housing near the outlet. It's always the hose that fails, never the electric motor. Have noticed on most of those electric pumps that have a gauge, don't trust it, they usually read around 5 pounds higher than the actual pressure. Buy a good dial gauge and check the real pressure after filling, soon you will know how far off it is, and will be able to get it pretty close every time.

Hand pumps vary greatly in how much air they can pump, and the seals wear out in time and they get less efficient after a lot of pumping. Why bother, the electric pumps are not that bulky and you can always throw it in the trunk or back seat, it won't take up any more space than a large hand pump with big handle on it. Most electric pumps only have a shrader valve fitting for cars, but if you need to air up a presta valve on a road bike, why not spend 3 bucks for a presta to schrader converter valve? It screws onto your presta valve, after you open the presta valve inlet so it will accept air. Screw on your shrader adapter and you can use any gas station air pump to fill your presta road bike tire, I never go biking without one in my tool kit, and I always keep a spare adapter in the glovebox of my truck, and usually fill my bike tires with the bike laying down flat in the bed of my truck, with an electric pump, easier that way.

Many co2 bike pumps can do both, but they often work better with shrader than presta. If you forget to open the valve on a presta before trying to fill with a co2, you might blow out the fitting on your co2 because it can't take the pressure that has nowhere to go, because the valve is closed, it might strip the threads off the fitting or break it, and you lose all your air from the cartridge. Use the scrader adapter and don't forget to open your presta before putting on the adapter, and don't forget to close it back up again after removing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or