U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-07-2008, 10:49 AM

8,241 posts, read 9,419,991 times
Default teenager gets speeding ticket...experience with speeding alarms/gps tracking products?

It had to happen....trying to not let it happen again!
Does anyone have experience with hard installed speeding alarms, either stand alone or as part of a GPS system? From what I've seen, it's pretty easy to install one with newer cars that have on board computer systems, but this is a 1993 Lexus. I appreciate your help....
Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-07-2008, 12:44 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,624,320 times
I'd just do what my dad did when I got my first (and last) speeding ticket.

He took the keys and I was back on my bicycle until I turned 18. I obviously didn't like it at the time, but he very well may have saved my life.

But this was back in the 60s....a kid might murder you if you tried that nowadays....

Unread 06-07-2008, 01:01 PM

16,250 posts, read 10,384,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Does anyone have experience with hard installed speeding alarms, either stand alone or as part of a GPS system? From what I've seen, it's pretty easy to install one with newer cars that have on board computer systems, but this is a 1993 Lexus. I appreciate your help....
Was she/he really speeding? Or was it just a tad over the limit? The best thing you can do is make them pay the fine and the higher insurance rates that will soon follow. Here is Georgia if a teen speeds more than 20 over the limit, automatic loss of license until 18.

Unread 06-07-2008, 01:26 PM

7,536 posts, read 14,006,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I'd just do what my dad did when I got my first (and last) speeding ticket.

He took the keys and I was back on my bicycle until I turned 18. I obviously didn't like it at the time, but he very well may have saved my life.

But this was back in the 60s....a kid might murder you if you tried that nowadays....
Makes perfect sense to me, Car54

Especially in light of the latest fiasco with Nick Bollea (Hulk Hogan's Son) where speeding and racing were ignored and almost encouraged by the parents.

Now look at the prize their cavalier attitude has won him and they still don't seem to bet it?

Unread 06-07-2008, 03:46 PM

389 posts, read 621,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Here's what you do: You take the vehicle away from the teenager until they learn how to obey the rules of the road. We do not have a right to drive, and people who disobey the law put others in danger.

I would certainly hope that you, as a parent, are teaching your child about the consequences of their actions, rather than showing them how to shirk their responsibilities and how to get out of doing what they are supposed to do. You break the law, you do the time/pay the fine/whatever.

/Never had a speeding ticket
//Under 25 and I do indeed have LOW insurance rates
///Parent of two children

Unread 06-07-2008, 04:20 PM

12,385 posts, read 6,832,630 times
Take the car away for a long while, let him/her know you mean business. put on eof those driving moniters in the car, the kind in which you download info. If they know they are being monitered, no more speeding.

Unread 06-07-2008, 06:08 PM

5,068 posts, read 5,133,647 times
There is a reason younger people, especially those with XY chromosomes, tend to have more wrecks and tickets, and why their insurance is higher.

I usually got my tickets on the road. After I finally got a car with a speed control gadget, my record has been spotless.

Unread 06-07-2008, 09:23 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,671,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
Here's what you do: You take the vehicle away from the teenager until they learn how to obey the rules of the road. We do not have a right to drive (bingo!), and people who disobey the law put others in danger (a key point, thanks for saying that).

I would certainly hope that you, as a parent, are teaching your child about the consequences of their actions, rather than showing them how to shirk their responsibilities and how to get out of doing what they are supposed to do. You break the law, you do the time/pay the fine/whatever.

/Never had a speeding ticket (same here)
//Under 25 and I do indeed have LOW insurance rates (been driving for durn near 4 decades and still have LOW rates)
///Parent of two children (parent of one teen driver, male)
Nice post, ArcticPhoenix.

Unread 06-07-2008, 09:29 PM

8,241 posts, read 9,419,991 times
Thanks for the advice......I don't think she'll murder me if I take her keys she's a great kid, but she needs the keys to drive to school, work and sports. Over the summer she will be taking a 'hiatus' from driving, and she will be paying for the ticket and the defensive driving class to dismiss it. We WILL be installing a GPS/speed alarm, any recommendations as to a good one?

Unread 06-07-2008, 09:31 PM

46,540 posts, read 40,891,699 times
i would like teenagers to stop speeding rather than starwars devices to help them evade the cops. drunk speeding teenagers kill people here.
they also run over a lot of pedestrians of which i am one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive