U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-14-2008, 11:53 PM

25,003 posts, read 18,635,926 times

Advertisements

Here is one of the reasons you can expect to see more auto plants shutting down in America.

detnews.com | Webvideo | Ford's most advanced assembly plant operates in rural Brazil
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 02:40 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,270,027 times
Smaller dealers can't compete with the big dealers for volume to the customer and incentives from corporate. Most mid to smaller level dealers here are long gone in favor of the superstore. A couple of friends formerly with said dealers reported the manufacturers want it that way, large supercenters that is, and are almost hostile to the small dealer.

Back to Mercury, they really haven't set themselves apart the last few decades now have they? What's to miss? Remember, all these badges were created when Detroit actually offered something new every year, every line. You could walk down the street and instantly say "there's a Plymouth, that's a Pontiac, there's a Rambler". You haven't been able to do that for a long time. There just isn't a need if you're building the same vehicle seven ways to the junkyard.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:56 PM

810 posts, read 2,744,912 times
Badge engineering worked well when you had a large percent of the market buying your product... lots of required ass'y lines anyway, so why not differentiate for the benefit of the customer? Now that differentiation is effectively done by the customer choosing a different brand, time to trim where needed. I haven't turned my head at many Mercury models made after the late 60's/early 70's anyway...

Old 06-15-2008, 02:18 PM

9,065 posts, read 16,558,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Smaller dealers can't compete with the big dealers for volume to the customer and incentives from corporate. Most mid to smaller level dealers here are long gone in favor of the superstore. A couple of friends formerly with said dealers reported the manufacturers want it that way, large supercenters that is, and are almost hostile to the small dealer.
That's probably true. It does seem like the only people who shop at the smaller dealers here are the elderly, and they have been loyal to the place for decades. Younger buyers go to the super-sized dealers.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:27 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,694,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That's probably true. It does seem like the only people who shop at the smaller dealers here are the elderly, and they have been loyal to the place for decades. Younger buyers go to the super-sized dealers.
Age 50 here; I have little use for most of the bigger stores........

Although in all fairness; part of the problem may be the service department side, it is tough to find qualified mechanics in some of the smaller towns------especially when a place may only offer $15 an hour and expect a bumper-to-bumper tech.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:43 PM

355 posts, read 1,836,259 times
I personally have always favored a mega dealer. I like being able to choose from lots of inventory and usually they have really good deals on their vehicles. I got my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan for much below the MSRP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive