U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 12:17 PM

9 posts, read 28,249 times

Advertisements

do u think gas prices will ever come back down? to maybe 2 or 3 dollars

i cant believe how fast prices rose in such a short period of time, last year it was only $3 and now its way above 4$ and nearing $5 in just 4 months!!!!!! the new president needs to come up with a way to lower the prices.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 02:04 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,825,558 times
Wow, I'm so glad you brought this topic up, because nobody's talking about it anywhere on these boards. Except, that is, for the 3,847 threads already talking about it.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:02 PM

18,100 posts, read 16,634,298 times
As long as Bush is in office, no. Hopefully whoever replaces him will actually do something to ease the price.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:04 PM

10,683 posts, read 17,032,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wow, I'm so glad you brought this topic up, because nobody's talking about it anywhere on these boards. Except, that is, for the 3,847 threads already talking about it.
You beat me to it

Old 06-13-2008, 04:50 PM

61 posts, read 239,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
As long as Bush is in office, no. Hopefully whoever replaces him will actually do something to ease the price.
What can the President do to ease gas prices? I'm sure congress would need to be involved in any reductions in gas taxes (that would help prices sooner) or new drilling and refining (that would help prices a bit later).

Old 06-13-2008, 07:48 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,800,501 times
The liberal "please government, do something!"

Not that it implies that the person is a liberal, but just the thought process of the gov having to come to the rescue on something as trivial as fuel prices is astonishing and down right scary if people think the gov should ever even have that kind of power.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:04 PM

5,273 posts, read 11,913,473 times
OK, taking this thread up above the 5th grade, it's pretty unlikley gas prices will ever come down under $3.80 again.

And, no, the president has very VERY little to do with the price of gas or oil. I know Bush is a human target, but it's so childish to put the blame on him that it sure let's everyone know the kids are out of school and on this board.

So, class, why will the prices not come down? A few simple reasons without getting into the nuts & bolts of the thing:

1) Supply & demand. We are now on the downhill side of known & extimated oil reserves worldwide. As countries like China & India demand more & more oil and couontries are trying to save what they have left by pumping less (or at the same rate), it forces up the price on an open world market. Our demand is still very high as well.

2) Wallstreet- since oil is a traded commodity, the oil futures market has driven up the price by investors speculating the price will go up. That causes pressure to do just that on the markets.

3) Due to enviromental laws & regulations, we are precluded from building (and in some instances repairing) our US based oil refineries. Therefore, we have to import more & more partially to completed finished product.

4) Since fuel costs more, and all our gas & oil is transported, that also raises the price of gas & oil.

5) Investors at oil companies are demanding profits and dividends. The pressure on gas companies to raise the price to make more profits is enormous. And, they don't really have to answer to congress so they really don't care about empty threats there.

6) The dollar is very weak and that makes our buying power less & less. That is cyclical and when it comes back around prices will come down a bit, but not much.

7) And lastly for this simple discussion, The Bush administration has taken a hard stance to countries that grow and distribute illegal drugs to this country, harbor and take part in terrorist activities... and those countries have done a small bit in forcing up our oil prices. The democrats believe appeasement may help in that area, and it very well might- but it's a dangerous game. I think if we adopted a more nuetral stance all together that small part of the equation will work itself out. But that part maybe has a 2-3 cent per gallon effect on gas prices.

So there's the short & simple answer without going into any depth.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:29 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,758,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukguril View Post
do u think gas prices will ever come back down? to maybe 2 or 3 dollars

i cant believe how fast prices rose in such a short period of time, last year it was only $3 and now its way above 4$ and nearing $5 in just 4 months!!!!!! the new president needs to come up with a way to lower the prices.
I'm guessing they'll peak near the current average ($4.06), come down some ways (maybe to $3.20 - $3.50), and then rise again.

I wouldn't say $3.00 gas is impossible, but $2? No way.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:04 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,295,271 times
Not sure gas will ever come back down but the big kicker is it's driving the price of everything else up, meanwhile we still make what we were making when gas was affordable. At least they should raise the wages by a couple of dollars to help ease the burden caused by having to spend half your paycheck just buying fuel to fill up.

Won't be much longer when you wont be able to purchase the basic necessities to live off of because you wont be able to go to the store. Then people will have to walk or ride bicycles. Perhaps by then demand for gasoline will drop. Then the $50 question...will the oil tycoons jack the prices up even more to recoup their losses? or will the price actually drop to attract motorists?

Old 06-13-2008, 11:18 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,800,501 times
As people said, globalization will make everyone equal, but it will not be at our standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive