Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 04:04 AM

17,914 posts, read 27,310,293 times

Advertisements

The best engine bar none would be the Ford 427 which was put into the 1965/66 Cobra;

Original 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C LOUDEST ENGINE EVER - YouTube

I also like my 383;

VIDEO0079 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 07:26 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,311,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
The best engine bar none would be the Ford 427 which was put into the 1965/66 Cobra;

Original 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C LOUDEST ENGINE EVER - YouTube

I also like my 383;

VIDEO0079 - YouTube
Get serious.

I am a die hard Ford guy and have owned 427 SO powered Cobras along with various other Ford engines but there is absolutely no doubt the the best V-8 engine since 1955 is the sb Chevy.

I wish it were not true but they have been the dominant engine in almost every form of racing since the late 50's up until the present.

Back in the day the 427 FE was a decent racing engine but for Big Blocks the Chevy is far superior.
Ford knew that so they built the 385 series because it is a better performer than the FE.
Yes I know that you know somebody or maybe it is you yourself who has never been beaten by a Chevy with your 427 FE but there are also thousands of Chevy guys who have never been beaten by a Ford.

BTW my sb Ford was louder than my 427FE and a lot louder than the one in the video.

It's nice that you love the 427 FE but until you spend 20 years on track you are just talking about something you know little about.

You do know what FE stands for don't you?
That means that engine was designed for the Ford and Edsel

Old 12-01-2011, 12:20 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,583,064 times
I would agree that the small block Chevy motor is the most prolific engine ever made, but it is certainly not the most dominant engine when it comes to racing. I just reviewed the latest NHRA record holder stats (NOV. 2011) and can say that the S.B. Chevy don't factor in the pro classes at all. Super Stock classes seem to be an even mix between all of the big 3. G/T class is also a mix with a nod to Chevy power. As far as the Stock classes go, once again it's pretty much a mix of the big 3. I'm not a big NASCAR fan, but I do know that dominance in that series seems to be cyclical, you can add Toyota into the mix with the big 3 now. I think some folks are confused with the meaning of the word "BEST". Most does not translate to best. I will concede that you can probably get parts for a S.B.C. almost any where in the world.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:07 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,266,759 times
"Best" also does not necessarily mean racing. There are other, arguably more important things for an engine to do.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,583,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
"Best" also does not necessarily mean racing. There are other, arguably more important things for an engine to do.
You are 100 percent correct. When it comes to using the word best when describing motors I would say durability and efficiency would be #1 and 2. If in fact durability is #1 then an argument can be made for a number of motors.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:10 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,311,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I would agree that the small block Chevy motor is the most prolific engine ever made, but it is certainly not the most dominant engine when it comes to racing. I just reviewed the latest NHRA record holder stats (NOV. 2011) and can say that the S.B. Chevy don't factor in the pro classes at all. Super Stock classes seem to be an even mix between all of the big 3. G/T class is also a mix with a nod to Chevy power. As far as the Stock classes go, once again it's pretty much a mix of the big 3. I'm not a big NASCAR fan, but I do know that dominance in that series seems to be cyclical, you can add Toyota into the mix with the big 3 now. I think some folks are confused with the meaning of the word "BEST". Most does not translate to best. I will concede that you can probably get parts for a S.B.C. almost any where in the world.
Let me clarify why I say it is the best.
It is the easiest to modify and get good power and reliability.
They run forever in everyday drivers with reliability better than the other v-8's
For racing they make better power than other brands of equal cubes because they have better breathing heads. Early Fords are notorius for poor breathing heads especially on the exhaust side.

When I say dominant in racing I am referring to oval track and road racing.
Go to a stock car race and see just how many guys are running Chevys vs. Fords.
It has only been recently that sb Fords have been competitive with their sealed crate engines.
(it's about time)

In Drag racing many times because of classification Fords and Chevy's of the same cubes are in totally different classes.

As far as the pro classes sb Chevy's are not running against Big Block cars which dominate those classes.

I said I was a Ford guy but I am also a realist.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:47 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,810,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
You are 100 percent correct. When it comes to using the word best when describing motors I would say durability and efficiency would be #1 and 2. If in fact durability is #1 then an argument can be made for a number of motors.
LOL you said motors

Old 12-01-2011, 05:34 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,614,410 times
Chevy small block, more so I'd get into the LS series....

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,797,051 times
If you want the best engines made TODAY, all you have to do is look at the Wards Ten Best Engines list. If you want the best of all time, you'd have to lay down the criteria by which it is to be judged. If power output versus displacement is it, then obviously a lot of 4 bangers are going to be left out. If engine life is the criteria then most of the performance engines are left out. If fuel mileage is it, the big engines will obviously lose. You'd also have to specify the usage. In a car only or in any mobile platform. The GM small blocks besides being in cars and trucks also find their way into sport boats but rarely as an industrial engine due to short life and fuel usage. The Cummins 5.9 is great in a small truck platform and finds it's way into midsize boats as well as light industrial use, but it's no CAT engine and doesn't have the life of a CAT. Ford has had quite a few engines on the Wards list but Ford refuses to get into the marine industry even though a few of the marine builders use their block assemblies. You don't find any in industrial applications either. Chysler small blocks were used in cars, trucks, medium trucks like a 2 ton, boats, industrial, and were quite successful. Fuel usage was decent, power was there, engine life was far better than GM or Ford. But does that make it the best? The one engine that stands out over the 64 years I've been around is none of the above. It's a very simple designed 4 banger known as the Toyota 22R engine. It's been in almost anything that moves from cars, trucks, industrial, forklifts, generators, you name it, it's been there. They are an extremely long life engine and are stingy with fuel. Nope, it won't appear in any NHRA history books, but really, how many of us actually have ever driven an NHRA car....besides me.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,296,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Some of the highest mileage engines I have ever seen have been 460 Ford v8s. The 429/460 Ford engines are the best.
In addition to this, the International Harvestor tractor inline sixes from the 06 series up to the 88 series are some of the best around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive