Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
No problemo, I was not born knowing this stuff either. Yes, generally there is a fan right up front and you can see it through the grille. Generally but not always it's in front of the radiator, but could be behind it. On most cars I am familiar with, if you just turn the ignition on (but don't start the engine) and then switch the A/C on, this should turn that fan on. Try that. If the fan does not run, try going ahead and start the engine. If that fan does not run with the engine running and A/C on, that is at least part of the problem.

Remind me what kind of car/truck/van/whatever you are working on.

Speaking of maintenance, make sure the condenser is not full of dead bugs, dirt, etc.
it dark right now so I am unable to check and I dont know what condenser is either lol.
I think you guys are right that there may not be enough air flow and the bug thing because it is 95 model car and I live in North Carolina that should be nicknamed "The Bug State"
I have air compressor can I blow it without damaging or the shop I get my oil change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
It sounds as if you do not have enough air flow going across the condensor coils, except for when you are moving at high speeds.

If you do not have enough air flow going across the condensor, it will not properly cool the gaseous refrigerant back down to a liquid.

I'd look thru the grille on your car and make sure your condensor isn't full of bugs and debris. I also will agree if you have an electric fan and it is not working (should come on usually around 195-215 degrees) that the lack of air flow across the condensor while not moving/at low speeds can cause this. But if that were the case you'd most likely also notice the car was overheating.

It is also a possibility you are low on refrigerant, as the more your system has the more efficient at heat/humidity removal it is. Which if you're low on refrigerant that usually means you have a leak somewhere. A qualified a/c repairman can usually detect the leak.
great info once I figure out what the condensor of car is lol.
I now wish auto mechanics wasnt an elective but a requirement

I have 95 Camry Coupe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 01:29 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Check to see if your electric fan in front of (usuall) the radiator and A/C condenser is working when the A/C is on. Very common source of A/C that works well at speed, but not at slow speeds below 30 MPH +/- If the fan is not running with the A/C on, could be a switch, relay, bad connection, or the fan motor could actually be bad or even seized.
x2 it sounds like you have enoug hfreon ( cold a/c) but its just not blowing through. sounds like your fan is just not working.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:11 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
The condensor normally sits just before your radiator. When you look thru the grille on your Camry, you should be able to see the condensor before the radiator. It is usually a grayish silver color and looks almost like a radiator.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Thanks for all the input. I did find the two fans and where the compressor is located.

I did have to refill the freon I bought one of those kits at Auto Zone. The fan is a two speed fan and once the first can was added the high speed of fan kicked in.
I had to add two cans but I did not overfill it.

Thanks for helping me with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive