Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:58 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassba View Post
no linsen .. i dont think you understand my problem with my headlights.. the adjustment peices are literally broken! . as stupid as i sound i have looked.. i mean they are broken, peices are missing.

clearing the headlights ok.. what i did is you get windex and spray it on.. and with very fine sandpaper (a round peice that can be velcroed on to a drill peice) and a drill with that connection
you sand it down.. and then buff it out with compound
now .. tell me .. how are you going to get the **** on the inside of the light out. and no .. im not taking the lights out and putting them in the oven. i dont wanna go there.. plus i have to take my ****in bumperoff to do it.

Dash board- where all your gauges are? the ones that follow your car as it goes vrrrooomm vrrroommm and the one that tells you how fast your going? and the gas and oil and heat and what not sensor gauges.. im pretty sure thats the dashboard.. oh and here.. i got a definition of it too

Dash board | Define Dash board at Dictionary.com

that thing .. yea it has lights in it. and my headlights are connected to it. and im going to hook up my fog lights to the headlights that are connected to it. and dont tell my my headlights arent hooked up to the dashboard lights or vise versa.. b/c they are .. and end of story
You're right that replacing the headlights is a better deal then trying to buff them up. The restorations generally only last a short time anyway. I think buying new lights was a good move.

As for the fogs, if the car didn't come with them from the factory, it should still have the cut outs in the bumper for where they would go. What year Passat is this? I'm guessing when you are talking about "headlights connected to dash lights" you are looking to wire the fogs to the same switch, so when you turn the headlights on, they all work together. My only suggestion here would be to look at a factory fog light switch from that year Passat. It is either a different kind of headlight switch (pull out to turn on fogs) or it is a completely different switch (in which case there would be a blank switch location inside the car for it), but that all depends on the year. What you are looking to do is fine, but a factory switch would allow a cleaner install.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 AM

50 posts, read 171,387 times
well i have a 1999 passat. the foglights i have, are 8000k LED strips
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320585275410

they are about an inch tall. and like 6 or 7 inch in length

Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 AM

nvm that link doesnt work .. try this

Euro R8 Style LED DRL Daytime Running Bumper Fog Lights on eBay! (http://compare.ebay.com/like/230523669564 - broken link)

Old 09-27-2010, 02:41 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
[quote=NJGOAT;16047430]

Quote:
You guys need to lighten up on him.
seriously, have you ever heard someone sound more HELL-BENT and WHISKEY BOUND on doing something - ANYTHING - to his car and doing it NOW. the guy's a lost cause. it's more fun to mock him than to take him seriously only to be disappointed when he does what he is hell-bent on doing anyway: turning his commuter car into an epic RICER FAIL.

Quote:
Modding a Passat is not some frivolous waste of time pursuit. He has a 1.8T engine. With nothing more than an intake, exhaust and tune he can be putting out about 250 to the crank on pump gas.
let me stop you right there. 1999 VW Passat. that's a factory 150 horsepower 1.8 liter engine. you're saying that with an intake (meaning a Cold Air Intake), an exhaust (meaning a Header and a Cat-Back), and a computer tune, this guy...this car... can see a 100 horsepower gain. i'm not gonna just call bull****, so let me put it another way. it sounds...counter-intuitive that 1.8 liter economy engine (economy, meaning it isnt hiding a high flow cylinder head, nor an aggressive camshaft profile - read: it's probably getting all the air flow it really needs) would be WOKEN UP by a factor of 100 HP simply by opening up the air intake and exhaust...and a tune. sounds VERY counter-intuitive.

Quote:
this car is not simply some 'econobox' commuter.
yes, it is simply an econobox commuter. and a perfectly suitable one at that. it's not a bad looking car, and i'm sure it does what it is supposed to do (commute economically) very well. we're not talking about the EURO scene, we're talking RICER here. we're talking about needless, often times counter-productive, counter intuitive modifications, installed in an often unprofessional, shoddy manner, which, judging by his posts, is exactly what vassaba is intent on doing.

Quote:
It has real potential
of course it does. but by that logic, so does a Geo Storm or anything else. without accusing anyone in particular of anything in particular, the whole RICE SCENE comes off as TACKING ON AN OVER-STATED PERFORMANCE LOOK, ONTO A CAR THAT WAS ORIGINALLY BUILT WITH NO PERFORMANCE INTENTIONS. i for one, along with most people of a certain age, simply do not get that. it looks silly. it looks tacky. it sounds like ****. AND GENERALLY SPEAKING, when a Camaro or Mustang pulls up alongside one, they want nothing to do with it...if they're smarter than they look. i'm not talking about a Toyota Supra. i'm not talking about a Mazda RX7, or any other Japanese import that was built with performance intent and heritage. i'm talking about a Geo Storm with a triple decker wing on the back and a mock ram-air hood scoop. and i'm talking about a VW Passat slammed to the ground, with blue fog lamps glued to the front bumper.

Quote:
I didn't recommend a "performance" brake kit. I recommended better quality replacement parts. I didn't recommend a "race" suspension. I recommended a kit that would improve the overall dynamics of the car.
fine and fine. and i'm simply saying that it's a VW Passat FFS. chances are, a kit that is going to [improve handling] is going to lower the car and/or stiffen the ride. not something a serious person would want to pursue on an economy car.

Quote:
I swear some of you can't look past the drag strip when it comes to cars.
well, i hope that you dont feel that way about me, because it isnt the case. i typically build my cars along road touring lines, not 1/4 mile sprint optimization. but, when building a car FOR PERFORMANCE, i think it's best to start with a PERFORMANCE CAR. not buy an econbox and try to shoehorn a performance image upon it. i'll admit, sometimes people can get a respectable amount of performance outta these cars, and make them look nice - when done properly, tastefully, and with some forethought. but typically that isnt the case. typically, the process is more like buying a bunch of components that have become the TRAPPINGS of the RICER, like putting on clear tail lights, not because it looks better than the stock ones, but because they CANT NOT HAVE CLEAR TAIL LIGHTS. that's the vibe i get from vasseba. even worse are people like this guy in another thread who just bought a V6 Mustang and now wants to bother us about a way to chop it up and put all the components of a Mustang Cobra, thus transformig the car into a Cobra - an endevor that will be more costly than buying a Mustang Cobra. can it be done? anything's possible, but the simplist answer is NO, it cannot.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
well he could atleast learned or asked someone who knows a bit about cars to help him and wire in a toggle switch for the fog lights and help him mount his fog lights the right way and I would of spent a little extra on a set of PIAA's. alot of the mods he wants can be done with a some simple tools and time and learning how to work on his car by getting a chilton/haynes repair manual.

Last edited by GTOlover; 09-27-2010 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
[quote=vassba;16047464]

Quote:
no linsen .. i dont think you understand my problem with my headlights.. the adjustment peices are literally broken! . as stupid as i sound i have looked.. i mean they are broken, peices are missing.
okay...whatever.

Quote:
Dash board- where all your gauges are? the ones that follow your car as it goes vrrrooomm vrrroommm and the one that tells you how fast your going? and the gas and oil and heat and what not sensor gauges.. im pretty sure thats the dashboard.. oh and here.. i got a definition of it too

Dash board | Define Dash board at Dictionary.com
well, as much as i hate to burst your bubble, you have absolutely no business getting sarcastic with me, and now look even more foolish. it is as i thought, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT A DASHBOARD IS. good research looking up DASHBOARD in the DICTIONARY, but im afraid the definition you found is not quite correct.

DASHBOARD refers to the horizontal surface below your windshield and above your instruments (as in: i left my wallet on the dashboard). what you appear to be refering to as DASHBOARD is more commonly referred to as the DASH, DASH PANEL, INSTRUMENT PANEL, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, GUAGE PANEL, GUAGE CLUSTER, or GUAGES.

Quote:
that thing .. yea it has lights in it. and my headlights are connected to it. and im going to hook up my fog lights to the headlights that are connected to it. and dont tell my my headlights arent hooked up to the dashboard lights or vise versa.. b/c they are .. and end of story
again. a bold statement from somebody who knows jack **** about what he's talking about. just because the GUAGE LIGHTS come on when you turn on your HEADLIGHTS doesnt mean that your headlights do not operate independent of your guages. and you say that youre going to hook up some fog lights (which look RICER, btw - i saw the pic) ...to your guage lights...? end of story? i still have no idea WTF youre talking about. anybody wanna explain this to me in English if they know what he's talking about...? because it sounds to me like HE doesnt know what he's talking about.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:46 PM

I would learn how to read those gauges too vassba don't worry we all had to learn at some point if you are still in high school take auto shop you get access to a lift and decent tools you can work on your car there for free
How to Read Car Gauges | eHow.com

Last edited by GTOlover; 09-27-2010 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 04:14 PM

ok .. i said some wrong things there.. i didnt mean my whole headlight. but when i turn on the instrument panel lights on the headlights get brighter and my turnsignal lights turn on. i am going to hook up the fog lights to the turnsignal light (not the actuall turn signal).

and i will post some pictures up.. mind you it will be some time .. b/c i need to fix up the front rims

Old 09-27-2010, 04:17 PM

what is wrong with your front rims?

Old 09-27-2010, 04:21 PM

oh and i dont have an oil gauge. and i understand my temp gauge .. my car heats up to 190. granted ive heard most 4 cylinders run cooler than that .. i however have synthetic oil so it is aloud to get that hot. its pretty funny what they say about the gas gauge. i did notice that but never took any real action or thought. granted i have gone about 20 miles when im in the red zone. and linsen . when i post pictures i will make sure to include the headlights so you can see what i mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive