U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,388,804 times
Default Can I go back to standard oil from synthetic?

I have a dodge neon with about 95k miles. I'm considering switching from using the more expensive synthetic oil to regular oil. Can I make the switch back, or am I stuck with the synthetic since I've already used it?

On a related note -- I have been using synthetic oil with extended life filters. Change intervals at about 6 to 7k miles. If I do have to stick with synthetic, is this an ok strategy, or is it better to do standard oil with 3k intervals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:39 AM

9,612 posts, read 10,168,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I have a dodge neon with about 95k miles. I'm considering switching from using the more expensive synthetic oil to regular oil. Can I make the switch back, or am I stuck with the synthetic since I've already used it?

On a related note -- I have been using synthetic oil with extended life filters. Change intervals at about 6 to 7k miles. If I do have to stick with synthetic, is this an ok strategy, or is it better to do standard oil with 3k intervals?
You can go back but I would change it every 3000 miles.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:06 AM

7,213 posts, read 10,773,821 times
You can go back, and keep your same change intervals. The 3000 mile oil change died when your grandad did..!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:18 AM

Hmm ... conflicting advice on the change intervals. But good to know I can go back. Thanks guys.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 AM

5,112 posts, read 11,284,948 times
maybe this is old and doesnt apply anymore, but my understanding was that changing from one to the other after an extended period can cause problems with the seals and induce a leak. no mechanical harm to the engine though

Old 06-18-2008, 11:42 AM

3,194 posts, read 2,396,012 times
Default You will be fine with dinosaur oil

Quote:
Hmm ... conflicting advice on the change intervals. But good to know I can go back. Thanks guys.
The interval is somewhat dependant on your driving habits.
I have seen engines that had the oil religiously changed at 3000 miles, but yet were sludged up because the routine driving cycle consisted of daily short trips between 1-5 miles. These continual short hops create a situaition where the engine never completely warms up, the oil is then laden with moisture and as a result sludge forms.
Additionally, short trips fall under the "severe usage" catagory in your vehicles maintanence intervals booklet.

In summary, if do a consideral amount of highway driving or longer trips, you should be fine with an oil change interval of 5K.
Do keep an eye on the level between changes and add when low.

Last edited by allydriver; 06-18-2008 at 11:53 AM..

Old 06-18-2008, 12:08 PM

8,737 posts, read 20,561,569 times
You can change back to conventional oil but you probably won't save any money. The $ you save on lube oil can easily be taken up by additional fuel consumption.

Assume your car gets about 33 MPG (I picked this number to make the math easy) - so you burn 3 gallons per 100 miles, 30 in 1000, and so 180 in 6000. At $4/gal, that's $720 for fuel. Your mileage may vary but a 5% improvement in MPG is a reasonable estimate for most synthetics. So the synthetic saves you about $36 in gas over 6000 miles, if your car holds say 4 quarts that's $9 in savings per quart. Then consider the improved lubrication, generally less wear, better price you will get when you sell the car on or just keep driving it because it does not wear out.

Allydriver makes a good point that if you habitually make trips less than about 10 miles you are really looking to sludge the engine, regardless of type of oil and/or drain interval.

If the engine is not burning or leaking the synthetic, I would stay with it. If the car is a stickshift, I'd go further and put Redline MTL or similar in the transmission (assuming the trans takes regular gear oil, Redline ATF may be closer to spec)

Old 06-18-2008, 12:29 PM

7,726 posts, read 14,848,191 times
Quote:

My first guess would be, WHY NOT, Coolcats

However, I would wonder WHY you would even want to considering the advantages of the Synthetics?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
My first guess would be, WHY NOT, Coolcats

However, I would wonder WHY you would even want to considering the advantages of the Synthetics?
My initial thought was because dinosaur oil is cheaper. But you all have convinced me that synthetics are a better now. Pay me now, or pay me later principle.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:21 PM

7,726 posts, read 14,848,191 times
Quote:
My initial thought was because dinosaur oil is cheaper. But you all have convinced me that synthetics are a better now. Pay me now, or pay me later principle.
If price is an issue . . . consider buying the Synthetic Oil at Wal-Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive