U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 04:57 PM

7,844 posts, read 15,423,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten View Post
I am considering buying a brandnew German SUV with a list price in the area of 60.000$. Im going to buy it from an official car dealership.

Is the list price final - or is it possible to get to a lower price and how much is realistic to get in discount ?

Morten
NOTHING is ever final when buying a vehicle, Morten.

As others have posted, determine the "Dealer Cost" and go from there. Don't be afraid to shop around. The internet is a great tool in locating the BEST DEAL even though it may require a drive or request your local dealer to match.

As an example, when I purchased my limited edition truck three years ago, a 1600 mile trip saved me about $15k and the drive home was kinda fun to boot.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 06:36 AM

8,184 posts, read 9,168,649 times
Be aware that the price that you are quoted will not be the price that you pay. When the dealer gives you his quote, he will conveniently exclude additional fees(i.e: advertising fee, administrative fee, documentation fee, processing fee, etc.).

When you purchase the vehicle, you want to know what the dealer's bottom-line price is. Bottom-line price means that the only additional costs to be added will be: Sales Tax(Paid to the state where vehicle is purchased) and Registration(Fee paid to the state to issue marker tags and a title for the vehicle).

It's fruitless, imo, to argue with them over whatever various fees they wish to charge. Just get their bottom-line price.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:44 AM

7,844 posts, read 15,423,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Be aware that the price that you are quoted will not be the price that you pay. When the dealer gives you his quote, he will conveniently exclude additional fees(i.e: advertising fee, administrative fee, documentation fee, processing fee, etc.).

When you purchase the vehicle, you want to know what the dealer's bottom-line price is. Bottom-line price means that the only additional costs to be added will be: Sales Tax(Paid to the state where vehicle is purchased) and Registration(Fee paid to the state to issue marker tags and a title for the vehicle).

It's fruitless, imo, to argue with them over whatever various fees they wish to charge. Just get their bottom-line price.
Excellent point, Stratford.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:21 AM

15 posts, read 38,753 times
Thanks for all the input so far... It is clear to me the car market is totally different to my european market, where I normally do my shopping.

I have already use the advices given in this thread with succes and I am in contact with several dealers to negotiate the best price. And a new car is the same car in the different states. The rest is a matter of transportation and logistics.

I just have on further question. It is my opinion that some dealers seems to be more hungry than others - maybe due to the bad economy. Are there any areas of the country where is more likely to catch a good deal than in others.

Any input on this... ?

Old 06-24-2008, 09:54 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,912,512 times
Try DETROIT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive