Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:16 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times

Advertisements

I'm driving my current car until the doors fall off; it just so happens that it's an '02 Toyota Corolla with 76,000 miles on it. I don't buy a new car every three years; I buy a brand new car once every ten or fifteen years. Given that model, it makes no sense to trade in a car that's paid for just to save a few dollars a week at the gas pump.

I'm all for people trading in their gas-guzzling SUVs and Hummers, but this seems to be a knee-jerk reaction for many people. One has to wonder if they're doing any of the analysis that SpeedyAZ has done. As far as the value of SUVs continuing to drop, everyone knows that a car is a depreciating asset, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 10:24 AM

742 posts, read 2,068,057 times
One factor that wasn't considered is idling time. Nobody drives continuously or at the same speed, even with different cars. I'm interested to see how much gas is burned per minute when say...stopping for traffic.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I am struggling with the same situation. I have a 2000 Expedition, guzzles gas like you CAN"T believe. I have no car payment on it.

I am about to come into some money from my parents estate and had thought about selling my Expedition which back in 2000 cost 36,000 and was purchased with cash at the time.

I had been thinking of purchasing a Honda Fit or a Nissan Versa with cash, so no payments.

BUT as you say, why not save the money I am going to spend on the new car and use it to pay the higher amount for gas?

My truck isn't going to bring much if anything at all if I sell it now.

Since my truck is mechanically sound, why not hold on to it?

Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM

812 posts, read 2,307,229 times
We used to upgrade vehicles every few years as you said the average consumer does but we decided we enjoyed hanging onto our cash a bit more! We downgraded our Durango (Duranie) which was only 10.6 MPG on avg. or 14 MPG and got another smaller SUV w/ all the bells and whistles just like the Duranie had but it's much better on the gas. However, even more so we decided to cut back and my husband uses my car and his vehicle is just a weekend thing.

Now if you keep your vehicle and not keep making purchases every 4 years, it is a lot cheaper. Oh and the insurance is cheaper too!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:34 AM

812 posts, read 2,307,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I am struggling with the same situation. I have a 2000 Expedition, guzzles gas like you CAN"T believe. I have no car payment on it.

I am about to come into some money from my parents estate and had thought about selling my Expedition which back in 2000 cost 36,000 and was purchased with cash at the time.

I had been thinking of purchasing a Honda Fit or a Nissan Versa with cash, so no payments.

BUT as you say, why not save the money I am going to spend on the new car and use it to pay the higher amount for gas?

My truck isn't going to bring much if anything at all if I sell it now.

Since my truck is mechanically sound, why not hold on to it?
Lindsey, I say if you owe nothing, you're in a good situation to trade it in! Most people who owe would love to be in your situation.

Sorry about your parents!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:38 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
Why are you guys even thinking about a newer fuel efficient vehicle? How about a used one I think it would be worth it if you go used.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:08 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
Why are you guys even thinking about a newer fuel efficient vehicle? How about a used one I think it would be worth it if you go used.
Well the primary factor when trading in a vehicle is to get something NEWER (not new per say but newer than what you're currently driving). You don't see many people trade in their vehicle for something older; it's backtracking.

Quote:
I'm driving my current car until the doors fall off; it just so happens that it's an '02 Toyota Corolla
I think that'll be quite a while, those Corolla's are built pretty well.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:11 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Part of my problem is that I also have a somewhat unnatural attachment to my truck. I know if I have to sell her, I will cry.
The things I have been through with that truck, the situations she has gotten me through.

I purchased my truck when my Father passed away. He always took care of me to the point I was a little lost when he died. My truck helped me become more independent. For example, when I needed to buy a ladder, I had to call my Dad to help me bring it home from Lowes. Now with my truck, I can stop in and decide to buy a new living room chair and put it in the truck and away we go. I can do so much MORE for myself. When I have had to move, I could rent a trailor and load up and GO and not have to ask for help from someone.

I am thinking I should just have someone detail it for me, get some new tires and hold on to it. I literally have never had any mechanical problems with it.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:19 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Had a neighbor once who bought a NEW car every two yrs financed of course. His wife complained to my wife that she was tired of making payments all the time. They only had the one car. I had 2 and at times 3 Caddys at one time for my business/family needs. Every yr I would trade the older in on a used 2 yr old Cad with low miles by paying CASH and saving on Interest payments. Paying CASH was still alot cheaper then making monthly payments. The cars I bought were around 40-50k miles and just broken in. They were always well maintained by the well to do class of people who originally purchased them. I would check at the DLRS to let me know when a nice one was coming in. Never had repairs and maintenence was tune ups and oil/tires etc. As for today, the money paid for a new car would be compatible to adding up the high cost of gas paid over a period of time. Your screwed one way or the other. Steve

Old 06-20-2008, 11:19 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,746 times
people often buy larger vehicles when they feel hurt, worried, scared or ill -- the same often holds true with larger houses. i remember reading that some where, probably in the context of post 9-11 consumer habits. it makes sense though.

this is a car culture, right or wrong, so I say drive what you can afford but drive it well.

if people used just a little common sense, combined trips, carpooling and car upkeep, we'd cut milllions of gallons a day.

that's easier than buying a new or used fuel sipper ain't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive