Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:25 AM

742 posts, read 2,061,338 times

Advertisements

Not only that, the Civic performed better in crash-tests (5-star all round) than the SmartCar. The Civic HX gets better fuel economy (36mpg to 44mpg) than a SmartCar, can seat at least four adults, and is very likely more reliable than the SmartCar. All for the same price tag as the SmartCar. The Corolla performed just as better as the Civic over the SmartCar. When the Toyota IQ arrives on American shores next year, it will out-perform the SmartCar. Specs-wise, it's already a superior model, and it will out-sell the SmartCar. Just wait and see.

sean, VP is arguing for the SmartCar as a means of self-validation, by trying to appear smarter and absolutely correct than us "dumb homo saipans". For all we know, he may not be buying one. Look at the posts he has made in the past, especially the one on "Stupid Engagement Ring".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 12:49 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,975,894 times
I haven't seen a Smart Car listed for under $22K USED...where are you guys finding ones that are so cheap?

http://www.prestige-motors.com/inven...ml?&make=Smart

Old 07-13-2008, 12:55 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,493,163 times
Honda civic also seats 5 people. Not everybody wants a car so big even the honda civic is big to some. Me personally I drive my corolla alone 90% of the time and I wish I had a two seater or even a one seater.

edit: Oh yea I want to get a Scion iQ (xQ?) can't wait until it comes out.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,431,662 times
i laugh at most of the post here for you are going off someone else has said or been put into a magazine that is design to sell this brand x type of car ..if you drove one and single you would not bad mouth as you would as some of you are doing here in this post ..

1- the smart is not design as a people want in a family hauler type vehicle if you need that get a family sized car to drive around in

yes it was stupid on his part to think that he could get his family inside one and go out to eat

2--it design for a major city street driveing where most of the time the car is driven by one person in the city and to be able to park with ease in the city

3-i can haul things around i need to but going to home depot and ordering 20 sheets of plywood and think iam going to get them home is just plain stupid on you part to think that the smart is going to haul them home ..maybe with a trailer yes but not packed into or onto the car to get the load hme

i can buy two weeks of grocerys and still have room left over ..i do all my shopping at one time going from place to place to get items i want ..

4-family car is not but for a single person with no family and it just you in the car or a extra person here and there to carry around it great

5-driveing on the freeway just takes a little more planing in dealing with the socalled stupid people driveing on same freeway with you ..i drive in the bay area and the LA alot with my smart and i basically drive with the whole thing of eyes in the back of my head type driveing ..

i do not drive and try to text or talk to someone when driveing and when i see them and i drive like a adult when driveing not like some wacked out kid in a big truck like most of the people do when driveing in large citys freeways in the states ..

yes i have ran the car about 80 mph to keep up with socalled flow of traffic and did not have a problem with the socalled it not going fast enough type crowd out on the freeways in any city that you are driveing .

6-gas mileage is alot on your personal driveing habits my basic average is about 40 miles a gallon for driveing and that 20 miles on freeway and two miles on a back country road to and from work for 5 days a week so that 42 miles round trip a day to work and back ..so it does depend alot of how far and and how much you stick your foot into the carb to make it go faster ..

i fill my car up every mondays and still have gas from the following week in the car because of my driveing habits are not crazy types

also the smart is no diff than a jag or bmw when it comes to putting the right gas octane into the tank to get it to run right ..

7-they are safe of a car as any other make and model small car out there on the road and do not let those socalled reports tell you other wise for they are trying to scare you into buying brand x- car maker car ..

also remember if you have a family it not really for you to drive as a family car it more about for a single person driver to them to use daily around town

i take my smart into the back country where i have my place and it done fine on snow and ice road and gravel and rock roads in the area ..

Old 12-27-2010, 12:30 PM

and where do you get overpriced from when the basic model is less than $14,000.oo dollars out the door and the accessories on it less than $15,000.oo dollar out the door without the socalled dealer lics and tax cud that the states attachs to the car sale ..

Old 12-27-2010, 12:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,176,864 times
ahh henry I think most people if they wanted a 2-passenger second car for commuting and had a proper family car.
With $15K-$17.5K to spend on it I think alot would opt for a nice C5 corvette or late model mazda miata esp if living in Southren Calfornia.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:39 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,024,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
1- the smart is not design as a people want in a family hauler type vehicle if you need that get a family sized car to drive around in

yes it was stupid on his part to think that he could get his family inside one and go out to eat
Gosh, it fits my family perfectly. Not EVERYONE has children you know.

20yrsinBranson
blissfully childfree by choice.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:31 PM

iam single and have gone out on dates here and there or picked up someone from work and taken them home but it my daily driver plus one of the single girls i know has along with a small kid and it works great for her ..

but try to pack a family of three or four into the car that sized is just plain stupid as the person was trying to point out ..it would be been better to order pizza and had it delived to there home

Old 12-27-2010, 10:08 PM

532 posts, read 1,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
In other words: you could get a used bloated SUV that's uglier than a mountain troll with a receeding hairline that drinks gasoline like a frat-boy drinks beer and is impossible to park in a city for the same price as the Smartcar. Big deal.

For a guy like me, who wants to move to a city soon and has no family or plans on having a family anytime soon, the Smartcar is a smart choice...almost as smart as the MINI. If it has an automatic transmission, I might get one, but until than, I'll pay the 5k more for a used MINI.
Wow, somebody has a hate-on vendetta for SUVs....pairing this with your other posts in this thread. Wow. It's one thing to not like them. It's another to say the owners should be killed and made into fertilizer. Funny how an SUV wasn't even mentioned specifically in the post he quoted, and yet again this guy makes it about his disdain for SUVs.

I know this is a 2 year old thread, but was just blown away to read this as it has been resurrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive