Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:51 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,544,388 times

Advertisements

Does it have a steering stabalizer, undo it if so and check it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 05:19 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,634,120 times
I have had an aluminum wheel where the circle of bolt holes was not concentric with the outside of the wheel. This will not show up during balancing as the machine used to balance uses the small center hole as a mounting point. It drove me nuts, rotating, balancing, checking suspension parts, aligning. One day the right rear wheel came off and passed me. The mounting holes got slightly bigger when it came loose. That elininated the problem. very strange

Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 AM

681 posts, read 2,903,826 times
Good point, StudeDude.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:05 PM

139 posts, read 475,202 times
Took it to the stealership today.

The tires had a chunk missing out of one ot the groves. They wanted $400.00 for new OEM front tires, wheel alinment and balance.

Talked them down to $260.00 since I bought the car from the owner of the stealership. They even gave me a loaner till tomorrow until the car was ready

Old 07-07-2008, 06:24 PM

If you're happy, that's all that matters.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:32 PM

699 posts, read 2,885,502 times
I have a similar problem on my car. I had new tires put on 6 months ago. I just had them rotated and balanced. Now there is a slight shimmy. Do you think this will calm down when the wear evens out?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
I have a similar problem on my car. I had new tires put on 6 months ago. I just had them rotated and balanced. Now there is a slight shimmy. Do you think this will calm down when the wear evens out?
No. Take it back.

Logically, how can tire wear "even out"?

It's a round object. All parts of a round object usually wear evenly. So how many months does it have to wear before it could start becoming close to being "even"? No matter what the tire shop tells you. Sorry. Imo.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:27 PM

17,114 posts, read 56,751,259 times
Yeah, if you are sure the balance is right, and there are no defective (loose, worn) front end parts, and you have done Franklyn's trick with the screwdriver (or you can just jack the wheel barely off the driveway or garage floor) what you are probably looking at is a "hard" spot in the tire, technically I think it's called radial conformance or something like that, high-end tires have 2 marks on them, a yellow circle at the lightest point, and a red triangle at the point of least (or maybe it's most) radial force. If your wheels have the correct match mark for the triangle, you mount the triangle to the match mark. If not, you put the yellow circle next to the valve stem (that part I'm certain of, since it's what I do on my old rigs).

Frankly you usually see these out of round and hard spot problems in lower-end, ie cheap tires. Cheap tires are really not much of a bargain in the long run - and poor tires can really ruin the handling of a good car, while on the other hand good (and not necessarily the most expensive!) tires can make a noticable improvement in a more humble ride.

Tire Rack has an excellent troubleshooting flow chart on their website, along with a lot of information and opinions on the tires they sell.

Repeating myself, but I now mount and balance my own tires at one of my car guy buddies' garage. I always mount without scratching my rims, and I balance, generally, to +/- one gram. As in, 1/28th of an ounce. The "pros" just can't be arsed to work to this standard.

You have no idea how smooth your car can be till you do this.

Forgot to mention, if you have steel wheels, a meathead with a high-torque air wrench, over-torquing and not using the proper torquing pattern, instead going around clockwise or counterclockwise, (CBA again!) can warp the wheel and/or the brake disc. Not to mention, good luck getting the wheel unbolted to change a flat...

Old 07-30-2008, 06:49 PM

Good call, M3 Mitch, on the hard spots.

from PA
here's a link to Tire Rack's page on ride confirmation (smoothness). I forgot to mention to make sure your tires have a chance to warm up two or three miles, first.

Cold tire thump is a different thing.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:01 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,514,062 times
If it started when the tires were rotated it sounds like it was one of the rear tires to me.Try putting more air in all the tires and see if it gets less shimmy.I have seen tires that passed the exact hunter test shown that had to be replaced but showed no problem on the machine. That solved the problem in these cases.Even race cars get tires with problems and they are screened very well and actually carefully made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive