Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,032 times

Advertisements

when I was in the 8th grade. I had a member of the church pick me up to take me to a potluck. We were standing at my front door talking. my best friends boyfriend walked up and asked me if she was at my house. This guy was older than us he was 17. I said "no" I haven't seen her today. He started yelling and using allot of bad language , in front of the Church member. I wasn't rude to him. But I quickly tried to get him to leave.

I returned home from the potluck to find a police car in front of my house. That guy was in the back of it. I started for my front door and was met by another police officer. He said they were almost done inside, I need to wait outside. I didn't know what was going on.

We'll after I left to go to the potluck. That guy broke into our house. He helped himself to a drink in the kitchen. Went into my brothers room ,busted his TV, lamp, stepped all over his tapes, broke the mirror on the back of his dresser, and busted his stereo. Did the same thing in my room, my sisters room, and my parents room.

My brother came home first and found the house like that.
We had a huge field behind our house and he went looking for him and found him walking in that field. My brother was so mad he really wanted to get a hold of him, he ran and my brother finally got him.
Could you imagine what that felt like for me. I knew this person that did this to our house.

My Dad arrived home before the cops left. He didn't say to much to me , but I felt sooooo bad.
That Kid only got community service because he was 17 not 18.

I have only had my car broken into once. I forgot to lock the door and the only thing taken was two movies. I just rented from blockbuster.
Blockbuster was very understanding didn't charge me for them.

Last edited by DBNN; 01-17-2007 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 09:48 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,328,712 times
I've had my car stollen. When I was 20, I had a Geo Tracker...I was on my way to drop something off at someone's house, on a main street, in the town I grew up in. I pulled up to the house, got out (stupid me, I was used to it being a safe area so I never shut the car off) and went up to the front door. I opened their mail slot, dropped the books into it, turned around and my car was gone. I mean gone...not up the block, not down the block, vanished into thin air and I never even heard it pull away. It was so weird, that I actually started walking up the hill thinking maybe I hadn't even parked right there. When the shock wore off after about 2 minutes, I ran to this little corner store and called my town's police and my dad. I made the report, yada, yada...and my dad, being a "big city" police officer drove me all over the City of Newark looking into all the "secret" spots car theifs and drug dealers hid cars or burned them. Nothing. Next thing, my cousin, who was also a police officer, calls my dad to tell him that he heard on the police scanner that a report of a man in a black Geo Tracker robbed a gas station on Route 22 in Union (nowhere near my house). He had pulled in for gas and before the attendant could remove the pump he pulled away. Then two days later, we get a phone call that they picked up my car and the theif. He was in convenience store in Woodbridge, NJ, tried to grab a woman's purse and run out, the woman chased him, tackled him and held him down until the cops came (how funny is that!!!). We get to the police station to claim my car, it was covered in mud from 4-wheeling, it was filled with food containers, soda cans, shaving equipment, t-shirts, socks and, here's the best part, two crack pipes. Nice, right? My purse was also in there, but the cash was gone, two credit cards had been used on gas and a jewelry purchase in NYC and my fake ID was still in there (my dad was p.o.'d at me and made me tell the police that I didn't know who it belonged to....there went my clubbing days for the next 5 months until my 21st bday.)Turns out that he was the son of another police officer that my dad had been friends with for 20-something years. The son however, had no idea who I was, he robbed a random car and it happened to be mine. My dad of course, felt we couldn't press charges because of who his dad was and I ended up on a trip to Las Vegas 6 months later (with the PBA convention) where I spent the whole plane trip and the whole week in Vegas hearing "I'm sorry for what our son did" from his parents because they were on the trip too....the irony!!!!! Ugh.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:52 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
I've had my car broken into twice. First time they smashed the window and I had to drive it home with glass all over. Second time they had that device that pops the lock. Both times my stereo was stolen.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Yes someone once attempted to break into our home when my mom was at work I was at home alone. our doberman took care of it!!!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:36 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Ive had my truck broken into, they stole the speakers (not the Sony CD player, strangely) and nothing else. I sold the truck and bought my current car which was broken into here at my workplace, in broad daylight. They smashed the window and took the CD player.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:46 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times
Our house has been broken into about 10 - 12 years ago. I came home from work and entered the house through the garage and noticed a banana sitting in the middle of my kitchen floor. It got worse! The entire house had been ransacked, mattresses pulled off the beds, desks emptied on to the floor, and all my jewelry, a camera, binoculars, a TV and oddball things like my daughter's portable keyboard were gone. They got in by smashing through the leaded glass on the top of the front door. But because all the doors had double key deadbolts and none of the keys were available they couldn't open any of the exterior doors to take out bigger things. It's true what they say about the sense of violation being the worst - criminal hands pawing through your personal goods is so creepy. We immediately replaced the front door with a metal one and got an alarm system and a safe for my jewelry but the creepy feeling has never really gone away completely.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Oh yeah.
In Denver.
Several times. Car and one home break-in.
The worst was the one that happened when I was a young woman. I was not living at home but came to visit shortly after the crime occurred. I think they thought nobody was home, but my mom was. My mother was beaten beyond recognition, her wedding rings torn from her fingers, and other valuables taken. My mom was okay but needed plastic surgery and emotionally it was of course horrible for her. They did get the guy, thank goodness.
The rest of the crimes were car break-ins. They were annoying but they never got anything valuable. We've always kept dogs and I am sure this has prevented a few home break-ins.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:02 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
It's terrible how violated one feels but to be physically assaulted and violated--so sorry to hear this about your Mom, cil

I've had my car broken into two or three times--mostly radio theft.

But I did have my house broken into, apartment really, when I was about 19 or 20. Two things stand out: they stole my pennybank and my blank cheques. I never recovered those pennies, but the person used my cheques, and got caught real fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Oh yeah.
In Denver.
Several times. Car and one home break-in.
The worst was the one that happened when I was a young woman. I was not living at home but came to visit shortly after the crime occurred. I think they thought nobody was home, but my mom was. My mother was beaten beyond recognition, her wedding rings torn from her fingers, and other valuables taken. My mom was okay but needed plastic surgery and emotionally it was of course horrible for her. They did get the guy, thank goodness.
The rest of the crimes were car break-ins. They were annoying but they never got anything valuable. We've always kept dogs and I am sure this has prevented a few home break-ins.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:01 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
My husband and I were both still working. He got home before I did and when I pulled up all I saw was a sheriff's dept. car and my husband outside shaking his head. Scared me to death! We were still in a rental home and whoever burglarized the house went directly to the master bedroom. They took money, all my jewelry, video camera, and a hand gun among other items. And they even took the pillowcase off my pillow to carry the stuff out!! I felt horrible just knowing someone had been in my bedroom. We never found out who did this but we think it was someone working for the rental company since there was no evidence of a break-in and we know someone was there that day working in the house without our permission. That was about 15 years ago and to this day every door of our home is locked even when we're inside. About 5 years or so after this, we received a call from a detective in another county telling us they had the gun and that it had been confiscated in another crime. We still don't know if it was the guy who burglarized our house but we're just glad the gun wasn't used to kill someone.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:02 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
I've had my car broken into 3 times, twice the radio was stolen and and once a few other things were.

Oh, and I was pickpocketed once.

Thankfully though, I've never had my apartment broken into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive