U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-08-2008, 12:16 PM

2,077 posts, read 3,849,991 times
Default The most well respected car company

A survey just coming out stating that Toyota as the most well respected car company. Yeah, I know it's a survey. But, what makes one car co. more respected than the other. Is this survey right? What are the opinions of the gear-nuts and shade tree mechanics of C/D think of this survey? IMO... I wish they included a list of the other co.'s score for comparisons.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/i...ected-company/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-09-2008, 03:33 AM

631 posts, read 210,620 times
ooo i am totally biased, lol jk. i love toyota and honda the same second in line is chevy.

its everyones life experience with each car that makes them individually respected. those are just my choices.

it looks like you can't even see the poll results or anything. I don't think that article is very accurate. I think those polls rely on the majority that will visit that site and what they drive, not on what the actual population of the u.s.a. thinks.

Unread 07-09-2008, 07:29 AM

27,830 posts, read 15,577,208 times
Toyota has a good reputation and the Big 3 have not done so well based upon vehicles sold over the last 20 years or so.

I would stick to actual auto reviews on a model by model basis. The domestic manufacturers have greatly closed the quality gap while toyota has slipped a bit so the reality is a lot closer than perception based upon vehicles people drove in the 80's and 90's.

Unread 07-09-2008, 08:02 AM

340 posts, read 842,604 times
I base my thoughts on expierence.I have worked in the dealer repair dept.(both warranty and cust.pay)for these car companys:Mercedes,Buick,Opal,GMC Trk,Toyota,Yugo,Dodge,Chrysler,Plymouth,Nissan,For d,Lincoln,Mercury,Ford Trks,Merkur,Chevrolet,Chev.Trks.I worked with the owners of these vehicles one on one concerning problems and maintenence for their cars/trucks.I could tell you many a story about quality control and the lack of it on brand new cars leaving the factory of these manufactures.The one that stands far above the others is Toyota.You will see them constantly as the company most others compare their product to and there's a reason for that.When you're spending hard earned money on something to get you the most out of your dollar;Toyota wins.

Unread 07-09-2008, 12:26 PM

681 posts, read 1,640,347 times
Not to put down your personal remembrances, but this article is total garbage. It's a house organ type of publication that was probably anxious to sell Toyota a bunch of advertising for a few issues, so they came up with what is laughingly accepted as "news" in "journalism" today and prepared a soft, puff peice. Imo. The evidence, as some of you have mentioned, is the total lack of identifiable comparative data.

Truth of it is some serious surveys the last couple of years have been showing the big "T's" reputation is slowly slipping. Happens to us all. There are at least two ways to combat the results of those surveys. One is to actually go back to doing what you were doing to make customers think more highly of you. The second is to "buy into" rags like this one. Probably didn't cost them that much, so to a CEO somewhere this probably looked tempting.

I'd recommend we all look a little closer at WHO is saying something before we pay attention to WHAT they might be saying. If CBS had done that with Dan Rather a few years back they still might have a serious news division, instead of merely being a minor subset of CBS Entertainment.

Unread 07-09-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
I base my thoughts on expierence.I have worked in the dealer repair dept.(both warranty and cust.pay)for these car companys:Mercedes,Buick,Opal,GMC Trk, Toyota, Yugo, Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Nissan, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Ford Trks, Merkur, Chevrolet, Chev.Trks.
You didn't mention them, but my best experiences were with Rover, Ltd, and their Landrover, 3 Litre and 2000 TC models. They were the only Brit models I worked with that weren't "crap", in my book, even though they ran Lucas electronics.

As far as the domestics, I thought the FLM dealer district representatives did a fairer job of taking care of problems than the GM guys, but that could have just been in my area on the best coast.

The worst brand - hands down - the Yugo. No matter what bad things you wrote about one, you could never truly do it justice. It was always worse than that. And when you looked at it again, later, something even worse would have cropped up. We've all had "come backs" in our shops. Yugos were "never leaves".

Unread 07-09-2008, 01:12 PM

We actually had a brand new one delivered and when started for the PDI(pre-delivery inspection)we found oil leaking from the engine block due to the casing being too thin to retain the oil.Also you might as well supply each new owner with 2 window crank handles and 2 xtra door latches-they always broke.

Unread 07-09-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
We actually had a brand new one delivered and when started for the PDI(pre-delivery inspection)we found oil leaking from the engine block due to the casing being too thin to retain the oil.Also you might as well supply each new owner with 2 window crank handles and 2 xtra door latches-they always broke.
You've GOT to be talking about Yugos!

Unread 07-09-2008, 01:50 PM

27,830 posts, read 15,577,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Not to put down your personal remembrances, but this article is total garbage. It's a house organ type of publication that was probably anxious to sell Toyota a bunch of advertising for a few issues, so they came up with what is laughingly accepted as "news" in "journalism" today and prepared a soft, puff peice. Imo. The evidence, as some of you have mentioned, is the total lack of identifiable comparative data.

Truth of it is some serious surveys the last couple of years have been showing the big "T's" reputation is slowly slipping. Happens to us all. There are at least two ways to combat the results of those surveys. One is to actually go back to doing what you were doing to make customers think more highly of you. The second is to "buy into" rags like this one. Probably didn't cost them that much, so to a CEO somewhere this probably looked tempting.

I'd recommend we all look a little closer at WHO is saying something before we pay attention to WHAT they might be saying. If CBS had done that with Dan Rather a few years back they still might have a serious news division, instead of merely being a minor subset of CBS Entertainment.
One thing people overlook is that Toyota made a lot of simple vehicles. For example, my corolla has power nothing...not that much can go wrong. If you buy a loaded Caddillac, then you just have a ton more potential problems.

Unread 07-09-2008, 01:57 PM

Sorry,yes that was a Yugo-brand new.They sold for 3995.00 and the only reason I could see someone buy one was because they couldn't qualify in financing for anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive