U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:22 PM

840 posts, read 1,591,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What do they know, they drive on the wrong side of the road. j/k

I do like a stick out on country roads where I can enjoy it, but in city traffic I prefer an automatic.
Well only 1 country in Europe, if you want to be pedantic....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 12:29 PM

9,622 posts, read 17,552,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post

besides, real men drive stick
Is that so?

I get the impression that many like stick because they're desk jockeys and a car is the only piece of machinery they ever get their hands on, thus the need to feel they're "more in control". Which is understandable I reckon, fellas need that elemental tool control thing somehow.

My 06 F-150 had a standard shift, not because I wanted better control or more fun but because it was the cheapest truck on the lot. I since traded it on a truck with automatic but I'm still the same man.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 07-10-2008 at 12:45 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 12:30 PM

3,142 posts, read 6,995,323 times
Automatics are starting to kick the cliche of being less fuel efficient than manuals. Automatics are more complicated and inherently more expensive than manuals... they have historically been considered a luxury option for a vehicle.

I prefer manuals when driving trucks and performance automobiles but I prefer to have automatics in my big heavy Cadillacs and other large luxury vehicles. And if you know how to work on an automatic transmission (successfully) you can consider yourself fairly intelligent.

For one to consider the option of manual or automatic to be a black or white decision is very naive and ignorant. The option should be completely application based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Partially... us Americans, in general, are too darn lazy to go through the gears. Either that, we're not hand-and-foot coordinated enough to get out of the drive way.
That sounds pretty stupid.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:44 PM

2,077 posts, read 5,454,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post

That sounds pretty stupid.

That's Nice!!!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 01:40 PM

21,512 posts, read 25,730,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Man I love that (go juice) lol

besides, real men drive stick
From the book, "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche."

"Real men drive a car with an automatic transmission. They are secure enough to let their gears be changed automatically."

Old 07-10-2008, 04:30 PM

4,220 posts, read 19,629,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2theUS View Post
Manuals are more fun to drive, usually better on fuel but horrible when in traffic jams.
Ain't that the truth.

I do like that manuals don't eat as much hp as autos do, and a clutch change is cheaper than an auto overhaul.

I also like that if your manual car's battery goes dead, all you need is a few friends to push the car while you pop the clutch and start it.

Plus for a Jeep, 4X4 or any sports car and especially muscle cars, give me a manual any day.

But for a luxury car or a drag race car, I'll take an auto.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:33 PM

21,512 posts, read 25,730,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I also like that if your manual car's battery goes dead, all you need is a few friends to push the car while you pop the clutch and start it.
You could do that with a 1957-'65 Mopar with an automatic. It was designed to start by putting it in neutral and rolling it up to speed and turning the ignition key to "On."

Old 07-10-2008, 07:42 PM

12,658 posts, read 28,097,033 times
My first car was a '85 Trans Am with a big V8 and a 5spd manual. When I got it I had no idea how to drive it, I pretty much taught myself on the country road in front of my parents house. Needless to say, the rear tires on that car didn't last very long.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:25 PM

6,448 posts, read 11,429,493 times
I have always had manuals and the few times I did own automatics I soon longed for the stick and traded it in. However I have lived in Germany and Japan besides the USA and sticks were much more common overseas. I guess I just got used to driving the manual.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:55 PM

4,220 posts, read 19,629,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My first car was a '85 Trans Am with a big V8 and a 5spd manual. When I got it I had no idea how to drive it, I pretty much taught myself on the country road in front of my parents house. Needless to say, the rear tires on that car didn't last very long.
You're lucky, those T-5's that were used in the 80's Camaros and Firebirds were one of the worst transmissions ever built.....even the tire blazing "big V8" 305 had no problem grenading them under the right conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or