U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM

22,123 posts, read 26,468,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Oh trust me, that one is a lost cause
Don't know why you say that. I did say I do like a few certain cars with a manual transmission ('69 Dodge Super Bee 440-6 Pack, for one).

Being a car guy and somewhat mechanically inclined, it's very probable that not only could I learn to drive a car with a manual transmission with no problem, but I could probably learn to be a very good and quick shifter.

But since I currently own 4 cars, I have no plans to buy another one, either automatic or manually-equipped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 03:33 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,575,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Don't know why you say that. I did say I do like a few certain cars with a manual transmission ('69 Dodge Super Bee 440-6 Pack, for one).

Being a car guy and somewhat mechanically inclined, it's very probable that not only could I learn to drive a car with a manual transmission with no problem, but I could probably learn to be a very good and quick shifter.

But since I currently own 4 cars, I have no plans to buy another one, either automatic or manually-equipped.
Don't worry dude, I was said in a joking manner, I didn't mean anything by it.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:01 PM

62 posts, read 143,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Well only 1 country in Europe, if you want to be pedantic....
Old post, but wrong - 2 countries in Europe drive on the left - UK and Ireland.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:05 PM

62 posts, read 143,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
That's funny , because when I think of driving in Europe, I do think of the manual Transmission automobiles. So why is that ?

What about the movie series of 'The Transporter' with Jason Stratham ?

Statham (incidentally, a manual only Porsche 997.1 GT3 owner) drove Audi A8s in all of the Transporter movies. They only came in automatic.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:07 AM

4,464 posts, read 9,575,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piespies View Post
Statham (incidentally, a manual only Porsche 997.1 GT3 owner) drove Audi A8s in all of the Transporter movies. They only came in automatic.
Not true, he drove a BMW in the first one.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:29 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,524,850 times
More cars should be made manual transmissions. It's harder to talk on your cell phone while smoking a cigarette and drinking a latte while listening to the radio when you have to change all those gears yourself. LOL Imagine the number of car accidents that could be prevented that way!

Old 03-27-2010, 07:34 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,524,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonapark View Post
I also think a manual transimisson is easier in heavily congested traffic than an automatic transmisson, you can "creep" through the streets without having to use the gas and also I love to be able to "release" the car and just slide on the clutch.
Me too! And my Ford truck is 11 years old with its same brake pads in good condition because of slow rolling to a stop while on the clutch and not using the brakes until the very last minute.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:29 PM

10,720 posts, read 16,753,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonapark View Post
Good point, but I can sip my coffee and change the station while driving a stick if I'm on a highway or such. This might be a "danger-sport" though as I'll be steering with my legs for a short time just to keep the car stable.
Well like I said, I live in the real world. Yeah, I can do those things too with a manual but it's more distracting and stressful.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I like my manual, and I drive a 1.3L 86hp hatchback. It's fun in the corners, and I manager perfectly well to sip on the coffee while using my legs in traffic (the key is to leave it in second and only take it to third if needed, don't go to first, it's usually not needed.)
I don't know what city you live in but when you are forced to slowing down to a near complete stop as in traffic in 99% of most large urban areas, you absolutely need to downshift to first otherwise you will stall. You can't just leave it in 2nd gear.

People who drive manual cars develop behaviors to compensate but it doesn't change the fact that they are constantly having to manage more variables (shifting, one foot managing the clutch) than driving an automatic. Managing more variables is going to be more distracting regardless of how well conditioned you are to driving stick.

Yeah, I can sip coffee and drive stick in traffic too. Guess what, I'm also more distracted and preoccupied doing that versus driving an automatic. Being able to do that in a manual has nothing to do with the fact that doing it in an automatic is much easier

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-27-2010 at 02:48 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Me too! And my Ford truck is 11 years old with its same brake pads in good condition because of slow rolling to a stop while on the clutch and not using the brakes until the very last minute.
You can do this in automatic too. Saving your brakes has nothing to do with automatic vs manual. You can wear out your brakes just as easily in a manual. What you are saying depends on the habit of the driver not the type of car. Whether you drive an automatic or manual, you will wear out your bakes if you are the type who prefers to slam their brakes instead of releasing the accelerator early and gradually slowing down prior to applying your brakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive