U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:42 PM

4,406 posts, read 7,135,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Gosh, that's really involved. At least in NC, it's not that complicated. I got a ticket for this but did not go through all that!! I showed up at court on the date on the ticket, with a copy of the registration (which obviously I took care of as soon as I realized it was expired, which was when I got the ticket!). The clerk asked to see the in-force registration, and then dismissed the case. They will only dismiss once every 5 years where I live, but that's all there was to it--no big deal at all to get it dismissed.

btw, some states do have a "grace period", NC being one of them. They give a one month grace period (I was one day over the grace period!)
Mine was expired on 6/15 and the ticket was 7/9 ,making it less than one month. Does the grace period only apply if the cop is in a good mood or what??

Does the grace period mean I go on the court date or that they should just warn you???

One thought is I overlooked it and so I am guilty...but then I think about all the people who drive with no license/no insurance/drinking ect and think if they see a perfect driving record what would it hurt
to give a warning.

Between our boats, business vehicles, kids cars, trailers ect there seems like alot to keep track of with taxes ,inspections ,registrations, insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 PM

14,934 posts, read 17,193,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
My son was drving my car and got a ticket for
a registration that expired on 6/15/08 . I usually am good about
that stuff but this was on my desk and got overlooked.
From 6/15 to 7/10 seems he could have warned him.

Why doesn't the owner get the ticket instead of the driver.
Well, i know in Virginia, pretty much the only way you could get away with expired tags is to have a receipt showing that you paid registration on you.

My advice is to show up in court and show that you paid the registration. The judge may be willing to work with you. I doubt that your son will have it on his driving record since it aint a moving violation.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:02 PM

41,633 posts, read 44,854,191 times
In Texas you have until the 5th day of the moth after the registration expires.People have too manyt excuse and the have heard them all really.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:07 PM

69,113 posts, read 58,222,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
btw, some states do have a "grace period", NC being one of them. They give a one month grace period (I was one day over the grace period!)
Colorado gives you a thirty day grace period.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:23 PM

7,883 posts, read 15,632,271 times
I have a feeling "grace periods" have proven counterproductive.

If anyone is going to conveniently forget the actual expiration date they are more than likely going to conveniently forget the "grace" date. They are probably the same innocent souls who conveniently forget to renew their insurance as well.

Simple solution for those with too much on their plate . . . lots of reminder type computer programs available.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I have a feeling "grace periods" have proven counterproductive.

If anyone is going to conveniently forget the actual expiration date they are more than likely going to conveniently forget the "grace" date. They are probably the same innocent souls who conveniently forget to renew their insurance as well.

Simple solution for those with too much on their plate . . . lots of reminder type computer programs available.
Get real..are you saying you have never let a bill or appointment slip through the cracks??
"Conveniently" means sorta accidentally on purpose.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:33 PM

7,883 posts, read 15,632,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Get real..are you saying you have never let a bill or appointment slip through the cracks??
"Conveniently" means sorta accidentally on purpose.
Not at all, kelly

I am just saying that grace periods are probably ignored and/or abused as much as the actual due dates so that may be why they are not offered in most areas.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 PM

69,113 posts, read 58,222,176 times
Quote:
Not at all, kelly

I am just saying that grace periods are probably ignored and/or abused as much as the actual due dates so that may be why they are not offered in most areas.
The key words being "most areas". Some were posting as if this were the case in all 50 states.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 PM

36,056 posts, read 55,947,661 times
Quote:
I have a feeling "grace periods" have proven counterproductive . . .
Also, I think a lot of people have confused what the "grace period" is. Many states give you a "grace period" where you can renew your tag without an additional financial penalty, but you can still be liable for a ticket even within this grace period.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Not at all, kelly

Someone said NC has a grace period of 30 days so maybe that does mean
renew without penalty because I was 25 days late and got the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive