Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:18 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times

Advertisements

Our two everyday drivers are auto's, but the Mustang is a 5 speed. Much more fun to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 10:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo2lowkey View Post
I never drove a manual stick in a car just only through my CDL training, does a car operates the same as on semi trailer?
It's easier than a semi tractor. If I recall correctly, semi tractors don't have synchromesh so you have to rev-match each shift. In a conventional car, mechanical additions to the gearbox do the matching for you.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:15 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
One little tip about driving stick shift. If you are stopped on an uphill grade, when you see cars in frt of you starting to move or the intersection about to come clear you can let the clutch pedal out just to the point of the friction zone while you are still holding the brake. You will hear the engine rpm drop a little but don't go beyond that point with the clutch. Then when it is time to go you already have the clutch close to engagement instead of having to find that point coming all the way from the floor, releasing the brake, and giving it throttle, all at the same time. You are eliminating all the free travel from the floor to the friction zone. It won't kill the engine unless you go too far. It only takes a little practice. You don't want to hold a car on a hill by slipping the clutch but a few seconds of just touching the friction zone wont hurt it. You only have to let out the clutch a tiny bit more instead of letting it out all at once.
I do this even on level surfaces but only when I know it is very close to time to go.
I have driven stick shift vehicles for over 40 years and now it is like instinct and I've never had clutch problems.
I even use this technique when riding my motorcycle.
It helps prevent rolling back and scaring you to death. Not to mention the person behind you.
An old (now very old) driving instructor taught me that.
You can practice in your drive way.
Clutch in, foot on the brake, let the clutch out slowly while your foot is still on the brake. Listen to the motor. When you hear the rpms slightly change let off the brake, give a little throttle, ease the clutch the rest of the way out.
It works.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:53 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
I recall the look on the salesman's face (August) when I told him I wanted a new Toyota Camry with a manual transmission.

He got one from a dealer in the same color I wanted. The next closest one on a dealers lot was 580 miles away.

Very pleased with our decision to get a manual. (the wife puts on more miles than I do)

Old 07-20-2008, 07:03 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's easier than a semi tractor. If I recall correctly, semi tractors don't have synchromesh so you have to rev-match each shift. In a conventional car, mechanical additions to the gearbox do the matching for you.

Thats true, If you drive a Semi with a Non-Synchro Gearbox "Crash Box"?But you can also get a Semi with Synchro, Or even an Auto gearbox.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 07-20-2008 at 07:27 AM..

Old 07-20-2008, 09:49 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
I think it depends on the vehicle... Obviously with smaller cars you can greatly improve gas mileage by driving stick. I prefer both options in the car, I always go automatic in heavy traffic, although I'm comfortable with stick.. My reasoning is that there is too much going on without having to worry about one extra thing that can go wrong.

Now, the opposite is true for my truck, driving stick kills my gas mileage.. I always go with automatic when pulling the boat or other trailers.

Overall, it is more interesting to drive stick. Perhaps a bit difficult and overwhelming at first, but you'll get it.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:57 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
One little tip about driving stick shift. If you are stopped on an uphill grade, when you see cars in frt of you starting to move or the intersection about to come clear you can let the clutch pedal out just to the point of the friction zone while you are still holding the brake. You will hear the engine rpm drop a little but don't go beyond that point with the clutch. Then when it is time to go you already have the clutch close to engagement instead of having to find that point coming all the way from the floor, releasing the brake, and giving it throttle, all at the same time. You are eliminating all the free travel from the floor to the friction zone. It won't kill the engine unless you go too far. It only takes a little practice. You don't want to hold a car on a hill by slipping the clutch but a few seconds of just touching the friction zone wont hurt it. You only have to let out the clutch a tiny bit more instead of letting it out all at once.
I do this even on level surfaces but only when I know it is very close to time to go.
I have driven stick shift vehicles for over 40 years and now it is like instinct and I've never had clutch problems.
I even use this technique when riding my motorcycle.
It helps prevent rolling back and scaring you to death. Not to mention the person behind you.
An old (now very old) driving instructor taught me that.
You can practice in your drive way.
Clutch in, foot on the brake, let the clutch out slowly while your foot is still on the brake. Listen to the motor. When you hear the rpms slightly change let off the brake, give a little throttle, ease the clutch the rest of the way out.
It works.
That's what I do. I tell people that, and they yell at me that I can burn out the clutch that way. But I've had 5 manual transmission cars...and it has not happened yet! But I do have an automatic now.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:28 PM

681 posts, read 2,878,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
I know standards drink up less gas, but it can also be very complicated to drive too. How hard is it?
Driving a stick is easy if you know how the transmission works. My dad tried to teach me at age 15 on his Chevette and it was a disaster... but then a few years later I stumbled across an illustrated explanation of how a manual transmission works, and the next time I tried, it was a lot easier.

My pickup truck has a 4-speed manual transmission with overdrive and I love it. I'd prefer all of my vehicles to have stick shifts. They don't have as many moving parts and thusly there is less in such a transmission that can fail (I've had four automatic transmissions conk out on me over the years)... not to mention how you can conserve gas pretty nicely if you know what you're doing. Driving a stick takes some practice but after about 100 miles or so, you'll have it nailed.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:39 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
I learned how to drive a stick early on... the first cars I drove were automatics but I learned how to drive my mom's stick shift rattly old pickup when there was nothing else to drive.... good way to motivate a teen to learn, take away everything else!

It was old and rough, so if I could learn on THAT, anyone can do it. My first "new" car was a stick shift, I was so used to it by that point and it was cheaper if I recall than getting an auto transmission.

At some point I ended up with automatics, until recently. The van I have now is a stick and the only reason I bought it is because I was buying used, wanted a particular model, and that was the only one I could find. Price was right and the van was in excellent shape but people are ALWAYS surprised that I have a stick shift minivan!

It does get old in city traffic which is 90% of my driving, but whatever. I was anxious about it at first after years of automatics only but it all came back to me really quickly. Plus, there's the added bonus of being able to push start it when needed!

My son is sixteen and already knows how to drive a stick and I am going to teach the younger kids the same way as they approach driving age.

As for the exercise factor.. well.. I don't know, perhaps my LEFT leg is firmer as a result! LOL! Not the right though....

The only complaint I have in THIS particular vehicle is that I do have a bit of difficulty reaching the clutch without having my seat so far forward that I'm up against the steering wheel. I hear you can get clutch extenders for that. My legs aren't particularly short but the whole thing seems like it was designed for a long legged guy. (I'm a woman)... I've never had this problem in other standard vehicles though. Just my van.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:19 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
The one thing that many people do not know is on a Auto trans everyone presses down on the gas pedal and wait for the trans to automatically shift on its own. Try lifting up on your foot a little and allow it to shift a little sooner then maxing it out in each gear. There is less stress on the inside and will last longer. In 60 yrs, only had to replace one trans using this method. A mechanic and son of a mechanic. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive