U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-19-2008, 09:20 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,802,461 times
Ok, I'll help this thread get back on topic.

Here's an argument for speed limit restrictions on SUVs:

Lisa Left Eye Lopez Car Crash Video

Only one wearing the seat belt, only one that died...
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-19-2008, 09:52 AM

5,209 posts, read 5,305,051 times
Quote:
we voted for that 8 years ago btw
Oh yes, everything that's bad in our country is W's fault. Just like everything good that happened prior to '02 was a credit to Clinton. Ever stop to think that, although-maybe things would be better with Gore/Kerry that they could also be worse?! God Bless America! If I lived in Zimbabwe, the guards would show up soon to give me a beating or toss me in jail.
Ok, I'll help this thread get back on topic.

Quote:
Here's an argument for speed limit restrictions on SUVs:

Lisa Left Eye Lopez Car Crash Video

Only one wearing the seat belt, only one that died...
Uh, NO! I think large SUV's are stupid. But this person would have probably done the same thing in a car! Perhaps what we need is more stringent requirements to get driver's licenses and more enforcement and tickets for people being stupid in their car. Stupid in their car= putting on make up, shaving, having a picnic and yes, yaking on the cell phone. I still don't understand why there isn't at least a national requirement for hands free phone operation. Talking on cell while driving diverts attention, driver is only using one hand and make for a less attentive and more dangerous driver.
Question for those justifying an SUV. Why wouldn't a mini-van work just as well?
Typically they get better mileage, can handle people and cargo better and are easier to get in and out of? I understand having to tow a boat or travel trailer or carry heavy loads for work. But for a people hauler why an SUV!? Trying to understand the thought process, maybe I missed something.
And again, you can't impose restrictions/taxes on SUV's because market forces are much better at controlling the use of large vehicles than government penalties. Besides, sooner rather than later, the government will impose penalties on something important to us. Once the genie is out of the bottle......Now if you want to help move market trends, incentives for those who drive higher MPG vehicles in the form of a rebate or $ for $ tax write-off is wonderful. Sort of like the incentive for buying Hybrids or the one that used to exist for business use of mongo-SUV's.

Unread 07-19-2008, 09:54 AM

27,058 posts, read 15,848,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I got rid of a 30 mpg + subcompact and now drive a 20 city/27 hwy Volvo out of fear. And I still have to worry about getting in a head on collision with a behemoth, because its wheels will probably come right up over the hood of my car and come smashing through my windshield.

Yeah, America, land of the free. We're all free to drive around in 3-ton trucks, ain't it grand?

There was a collision near me the other day where one Volvo rear-ended another Volvo, burned like a Pinto. I think the general perception of Volvos being safer than anything else is based more on marketing than fact.

Unread 07-19-2008, 10:03 AM

25,105 posts, read 22,103,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think the general perception of Volvos being safer than anything else is based more on marketing than fact.
No, it is reality.

A very close friend and his passenger - driving his S80, was rammed from behind by a rather large truck going 40 mph faster than my friend. My friend was pushed / slammed into a steel power pole.

That S80 did everything it was designed to do: The engine compartment collapsed and the engine went UNDER the car. The rear end crumpled right where it was designed to do. The entire passenger compartment filled with air bags (Volvos have more air bags than any other vehicle).

When the fire department arrived - they used the "JAWS" to pop open the doors. Both passengers STEPPED out of the car - neither needed treatment for any injuries -

The WIPS system worked perfectly saving both parties from any whip lash injuries.

I'll take being in an accident in a Volvo (we have 2) any day rather than any other car.

Unread 07-19-2008, 10:15 AM

3,283 posts, read 2,760,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
The most obvious flaw in this logic is that weight isn't the only factor in MPG.
My extremely large (by today's standards) 4-door, 8 cyl sedan gets better mileage than many cars 2/3 to 1/2 its size -- e.g., Toyota Camry, "Mini" Cooper, many others.

I wouldn't mind semis being subject to a lower national limit as they are in some European countries, just for safety reasons. This does impact traffic flow though - on a 2 lane highway you can end up with the right lane solidly packed with slow-moving trucks while all cars must stay to the left if they want to stay out of the way of trucks and/or pass.

it is if it discourages people from driving smaller cars!

Unread 07-19-2008, 10:22 AM

18,569 posts, read 19,279,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Me - I live 10 miles from work and get 21 mpg in my Ford explorer.

My boss - Lives 55 miles from work and gets 28 mpg in his Camry on the highway.

But yet it should be me who gets penalized?

Same with other things, I live in a little 2 room apartment, my boss lives in a 4 bedroom house, just imagine the energy consumption difference on that one.

I do not see how or why it bothers anyone in regards to what someone else drives. Strange how many in America now regard freedom as to mean to intervine in others lives.

People who drive a low mpg vehicle do pay more in taxes via gas taxes, I do not see what people don't understand about that.

Plus who is anyone to determine for me what I need and don't need? Ok, so you see me driving my suv alone, what does that mean? Perhaps I use it for work (as I use to do), why should I have to go purchase another car just to get groceries? How does that make environmental and financial sense?

Plus, just how much excess oil do suv's really use? its not like they mkae up the majority of the auto market or anything.

Perhaps the next step would be to do away with everything that "they" consider a non-essential use of fuel, that can have very extended effects, I am sure I can walk into you people who cry about suvs homes and find many useless items that you have indulged in in which those items found their way into your home by some sort of fuel consuming motorized means and were created by some sort of oil consumption.
I wish someone would have intervened in that housing mess a few years ago. If they had it might not have happened, or at least not been as bad.

But in general I agree with your statement.

Unread 07-19-2008, 10:26 AM

9,500 posts, read 9,675,416 times
Ha ha, thats funny, lets have differant speeds for all vehicles, I can see it now, that would really make the roads safer.

Unread 07-19-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No, it is reality.

A very close friend and his passenger - driving his S80, was rammed from behind by a rather large truck going 40 mph faster than my friend. My friend was pushed / slammed into a steel power pole.

That S80 did everything it was designed to do: The engine compartment collapsed and the engine went UNDER the car. The rear end crumpled right where it was designed to do. The entire passenger compartment filled with air bags (Volvos have more air bags than any other vehicle).

When the fire department arrived - they used the "JAWS" to pop open the doors. Both passengers STEPPED out of the car - neither needed treatment for any injuries -

The WIPS system worked perfectly saving both parties from any whip lash injuries.

I'll take being in an accident in a Volvo (we have 2) any day rather than any other car.

A sample size of one is what one of my old professors would refer to as 'statiscally insignificant'. The fact is just about any modern production vehicle is designed to do the same in a collision.

Unread 07-19-2008, 10:31 AM

3,283 posts, read 2,760,818 times
i have a buddy who works for an oil shipping company. he write futures for oil producers and consumers like airlines. it is necessary because they most large consumers want to lock in a future price. obviously their are also speculators who get involved in any futures market. the thing is there are many people on this forum who love to attack these evil "speculators". shock horror to everyone, they have been around since people started trading oil and the price was pretty srable then. now that oil is moving closer to its rightful place, every tom, dick and sally wants to lobby congress to address oil futures speculation.
occassionally i take a punt and i've made a buck or two. now people want to stop me from doing so. evidently there must be a problem. if there is, they mustn't only change the laws that affect some people they must add every possible law to address consumption or none at all

Unread 07-19-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post

Uh, NO! I think large SUV's are stupid. But this person would have probably done the same thing in a car! Perhaps what we need is more stringent requirements to get driver's licenses and more enforcement and tickets for people being stupid in their car. Stupid in their car= putting on make up, shaving, having a picnic and yes, yaking on the cell phone. I still don't understand why there isn't at least a national requirement for hands free phone operation. Talking on cell while driving diverts attention, driver is only using one hand and make for a less attentive and more dangerous driver.

SIGN ME UP for this party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive