Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 03:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Let's try this again.

Young, single women are likely not towing anything. Read the bold words; it means that more often than not, there's no towing. Consider also that I'm in a different state than you are, and stop assuming that your experience is common to all states.
Hey - around here - the women are towing lots of stuff

Then, there is the situation where the family has two cars - he takes the little one to work - she uses the SUV. THEY use it on the weekends. According to you - inasmuch as you only see the woman driving it - she does not need it (your words).

Once again - you make very sexist assumptions -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 03:40 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Hey - around here - the women are towing lots of stuff

Then, there is the situation where the family has two cars - he takes the little one to work - she uses the SUV. THEY use it on the weekends. According to you - inasmuch as you only see the woman driving it - she does not need it (your words).

Once again - you make very sexist assumptions -
Your analogy encourages impracticality. It assumes that one or the other bought the SUV as a status symbol - the genesis of my argument.

IN a situation where it's just the two of them, why would the thought of an SUV even come up? One wants one - why? Status. Fashion. "Coolness". That's it. And that's a flawed mentality. You can sit here and claim that people buy these things for safety, but the reality is, safety is not on these people's minds when they go to that dealer; looking cool and riding above the pleebs is.

Why do you think SUV resell rates are rock bottom? If they're so much safer than regular cars do you think the Chrysler 300 (another heavy yet quite beautiful car) would still be nearly $40 grand? If they're so much safer why would GM close down its SUV plants?

They're not. And clearly, there is no longer a desire to have them, safe or no, because people are getting rid of them in droves.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
IN a situation where it's just the two of them, why would the thought of an SUV even come up?
Because they use the SUV extensively for boating etc on the weekends

Quote:
Why do you think SUV resell rates are rock bottom?
Around here - sales are actually quite brisk in SUV's. I have seen - and its been reported, the sales of SUV's - the sightings of those temporary plates (new car) are everywhere. People here are taking advantage of the price drops.

And now - we this big price drop in gas prices around my area - who knows - sales may even get better! We have also seen reports that boat and rv sales are going up too !!!

Old 07-19-2008, 04:07 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
Quote:
  • Don't even bother trying to claim that SUVs are safer than regular cars. It's false and you know it. Rollovers didn't even become a topic worth discussing until SUVs became big, particularly in California.
You're wrong on that point. The tiny Suzuki Samurai was the SUV infamous for rolling, and compact cars still roll more often than SUVs. The Hummer is the biggest of the big, and its almost impossible to roll.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:10 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, consumption based tax seems pretty fair to me. - rep point for you.
This plan also ignores the guy that gets 20mpg but lives 4miles from work but it's ok to have an 80mile one-way commute if you get 27mpg?
THANK YOU:

My 12 MPG Suburban is driven maybe 100 miles a week (10 mile roundtrip to/from work) and it is paid for.

I see no reason to go on the hook for a 4-5 year note on a Prius or some other impractical car.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:12 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
it is if it discourages people from driving smaller cars!
I assume this comment is in response to my statement that heavier cars don't necessarily equal poor MPG. Hard to tell from your editing.

People are not afraid to drive subcompacts because of 4-door sedans.
People are afraid to drive small cars because of idiots driving larger vehicles as a fashion statement when they're frankly incapable of operating a bicycle, much less a motor vehicle. It's one thing for an airhead soccer mom or a self-absorbed corporate suit to drive stupidly or aggressively in a Kia, quite another thing for them to driving the same way in an Expedition or Escalade. Quite aside from the SUV phenomenon, there's a whole lotta people driving trucks irresponsibly and dangerously as well. The problem is the idiot driver, not the vehicle.

I've owned and driven some of the smallest cars made. They're fine (and fun) in their place. At this point in time a tiny car doesn't fit my needs so I drive a bigger one, responsibly, as I drive all my vehicles.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:13 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
My Volvo has anti roll devices
PT Barnum once said "there's a sucker born every minute"

Physics make SUVs easier to roll over and there's no device on Earth that can counteract it, but manufacturers can certainly continue to sucker people into thinking they're safer from rollovers.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
PT Barnum once said "there's a sucker born every minute"

Physics make SUVs easier to roll over and there's no device on Earth that can counteract it, but manufacturers can certainly continue to sucker people into thinking they're safer from rollovers.
Not true - anti roll technology switches momentum to certain wheels to help reduce the chance of a rollover

Remember - not all SUV's are made the same -

Old 07-19-2008, 07:30 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I assume this comment is in response to my statement that heavier cars don't necessarily equal poor MPG. Hard to tell from your editing.

People are not afraid to drive subcompacts because of 4-door sedans.
People are afraid to drive small cars because of idiots driving larger vehicles as a fashion statement when they're frankly incapable of operating a bicycle, much less a motor vehicle. It's one thing for an airhead soccer mom or a self-absorbed corporate suit to drive stupidly or aggressively in a Kia, quite another thing for them to driving the same way in an Expedition or Escalade. Quite aside from the SUV phenomenon, there's a whole lotta people driving trucks irresponsibly and dangerously as well. The problem is the idiot driver, not the vehicle.

I've owned and driven some of the smallest cars made. They're fine (and fun) in their place. At this point in time a tiny car doesn't fit my needs so I drive a bigger one, responsibly, as I drive all my vehicles.
Exactly.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:40 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,628 times
... another I Hate SUV's thread. How original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive