Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:58 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
"the powers that be" i just hope that while every clown senator and representative are touting potential laws to curb speculators, that they curb others sources of high gas prices with a federal 55mph speed limit on suvs.
Thanks for defining the initials

No speed limit will be enacted for one class of vehicle. If for no other reason but, it would be totally impossible to enforce. You may not know this but, the PTCruiser and Chrysler Pacificia are included on the defined lists of SUV's.

There will not be a new 55MPH speed limit - it was a dismal failure before - and, it is totally unnecessary. There is no gas shortage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 11:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
If SUVs are dangerous to small cars, the same thing can be said of the relationship between small cars and motorcycles. Small cars need to be held to the same standards as SUVs for the safety of people riding motorcycles and scooters.
Following the line of thinking about SUV's and speed we should all go no more that 15 mph because people on foot and bicycles are smaller than all of the above.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Hopefully, if gas goes down again, people will not get amnesia and will remember this harsh "pocket-book" lesson

are you joking? come to think of it, it could probably be argued that all the suv smog clouds bring about alzheimers. that would explain why the last time our oil addiction got us into to trouble we learnt absolutely nothing!

Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Following the line of thinking about SUV's and speed we should all go no more that 15 mph because people on foot and bicycles are smaller than all of the above.

Think of all the gas we could save if driving was banned

Old 07-21-2008, 12:52 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
If SUVs are dangerous to small cars, the same thing can be said of the relationship between small cars and motorcycles. Small cars need to be held to the same standards as SUVs for the safety of people riding motorcycles and scooters.
Correct, the foolish and twisted point of this topic would ultimately reduce people to simply walking, the basic form of transportation. People in small cars need to look out for themselves just as people in motorcycles have been doing throughout their existence.

I drive 40ft box trucks at one of my jobs... I could really care less if someone runs a red light and decapitates themselves by smashing themselves into the underside of the truck, sometimes people are stupid, maybe they should have been driving a larger vehicle to prevent their death... I simply ensure that I adhere to the rules of the road and try as best I can to keep an eye on everyone around me, but accidents are bound to happen.

Fact is... if people want to drive unsafe vehicles then they acquire the risk that is associated with that. Do not expect people to conform to your misfortune... many wont and I certainly wont. If I get killed in my car its either my fault or the other person is breaking the law and they will be dealt with.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
So, let me get this straight....all we have to do is ban suvs and bottled water and all of our problems will be solved? At least 80% of them?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
So, let me get this straight....all we have to do is ban suvs and bottled water and all of our problems will be solved? At least 80% of them?
Don't forget those nasty,vile plastic grocery bags! That combined with SUV's and bottled water will be the ruin of us all!!!
Truely I can't believe there are people that are THAT out in la-la land to think a reduction in speed would save much of anything for an SUV or do anything for cars in general, I would hope it's just a lets stir 'em up statement.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
It woul make more sense to Tax beyond a certian usage of gasoline. I mean it is the amount that a person uses that matters;not what car he drives. That way you punish gas hogs which seem to be your prupose. In thge end ;I am not infavor of any thi that government mandates really.If people can affrod the gas let them pay.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:56 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Unbelievable that you people have taken this stupid thread for a ride to the tune of 200 posts.
What's unbelievable is that the whole thing was started by some dweeb that lives in the UK! like we should care what they think...

Old 07-22-2008, 04:53 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Unbelievable that you people have taken this stupid thread for a ride to the tune of 200 posts.
+1

I agree 100%. Aside from being a ridiculous idea, it would never fly over here. Even if it did, they'd have to pry my cold dead hands from the steering wheel of my ride! Time for the fat lady to bring a padlock to this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive