Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,228 times

Advertisements

got a ticket for speeding but he has license plate written down wrong istead of 97 he has 79

I think its worth to show up for trial and see if he shows and see if case would be dismissed because of having plate number wrong.
open for suggestions or anyways i can outsmart the cop and bring up my side of the story such as north or south pm or am time of day weather condition
radar being accurate

he has down that my license plate has a 79 when in fact it says 97, he was way off so should i have to pay for a ticket when he doesnt even have my correct
license plate number.. can i win this battle

Last edited by clembeateron; 12-30-2009 at 01:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:00 AM
zox

344 posts, read 479,045 times
I know of one instance where a friend won. He lived in Chicago and was essentially harrassed by a cop on New Years day and was given 5 citations for going 15 over the speed limit. He went to court and the cop didn't show up so he won. He had no choice and he wasn't going to deal with 5 citations

However, in my area of the country, I don't know of anyone who has won. If the cops show up, you pretty much lost. I can tell you that nothing is going to happen to that cop. Police officers are protected by the courts and their own people. It takes a lot for a police officer to get into trouble or to have something waived. Any cop who reads this will admit to it. Your best bet is to pay it and do traffic school

Old 12-30-2009, 01:32 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
To the person with the 79 or 97 case.

Bear in mind that the officer signs the bottom of the ticket he wrote that the info was CORRECT and is subject to PERJURY if incorrect.

Read the bottom of your ticket. Go to the library and look up the state/city vehicle code.

There is a code that all Police officers have to follow.

Write down the code and the VC # that pertains to Perjury by a Police Officer...I did.

You can use that as a defense while NOT admitting to any traffic violation which the judge will try to get you to admit too.

Many cases are dropped due to a technicality.

The officer did in fact make a mistake in your case.

Nothing ventured...nothing gained.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:19 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clembeateron View Post
got a ticket for speeding but he has license plate written down wrong istead of 97 he has 79

I think its worth to show up for trial and see if he shows and see if case would be dismissed because of having plate number wrong.
open for suggestions or anyways i can outsmart the cop and bring up my side of the story such as north or south pm or am time of day weather condition
radar being accurate

he has down that my license plate has a 79 when in fact it says 97, he was way off so should i have to pay for a ticket when he doesnt even have my correct
license plate number.. can i win this battle
The more important part here: Did you speed?

If you did, own up to it, and don't try and sleaze your way out of it on technicalities. Kids do that, not grown ups.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:59 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default never won but

i had a fine reduced from $105 down to $30 for showing up and presenting a fairly good rationale

Old 01-05-2010, 02:31 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
I have won several cases, but you have to have some basic understanding of law in order to do it. The fact that the officer made a mistake will affect his credibility somewhat, but your job as a defendant is to show "reasonable doubt" that you are innocent. When you are talking about radar tickets your biggest defense is if the officer actually saw you speeding and is willing to testify as an expert witness that he saw the offense and used radar to confirm it. You see as a citizen you have the right to be faced and to question your accuser. Radar by itself cannot be the primary witness against you due to the fact you cannot question your accuser. It can only be used as corroborating evidence. I had a ticket once where I was clocked on radar almost 1 mile in front of me. The officer had no way to judge my speed by eye so the only witness against me was the radar, which I proved, is not 100% accurate, and cannot be questioned by the defendant. You do not have to prove innocence, only reasonable doubt. Also be confident and stick to your guns, judges often try to intimidate defendants and try to get them to say things that are incriminating. Don not say any more than you have to, and do your homework.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,347 times
I got a speeding ticket months back while i was at work. It was probably around 2am... I am a delivery driver and i was extremely late for a delivery at a hotel and my boss was blowing up my phone and telling me to hurry because they were going to cancel a 200$ order. He also said i was too slow and implemented that i wasn't suited for that job. Sure enough i begin to speed and a cop catches me at 83 mph. My court date passed and pleaded no guilty thinking i could explain this to the judge. My next court date is in a month and im hoping the cop doesn't show up, but anyway, do you guys think that that is a reasonable excuse or is the judge simply not gonna care?

Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I have no idea what to do with this (or which forum to place this question in) but I'm wondering if anyone has ever taken a speeding ticket to traffic court and actually won. I'm hating the fact that I have to pay this $231 ticket but I'll probably end up taking the course and just dealing with it. So if you've ever challenged your ticket and actually won, share your stories!
Hi Prettygyrl777--

Yes, and more often than not you'll win.

At the arraignment, plead not guilty, and they'll set a court date. After a couple days, ask the court for a motion of continuance, to move back the trial date. Do it again, and again, and waive your right to a speedy trial. Have an excuse ready if they ask for one. Last ticket I had was in August 2011, and I dragged it out until the end of October. The court record indicates they had to print out a different subpoena for both the police officer and a witness each time I delayed. I'm sure both of them got confused, tired, or just gave up trying to get me on the charge by then. By the trial date - I think it was like the 27th of October - I went to court and neither the PO nor the witness showed up. The prosecuting attorney beat me to it and moved to dismiss before I'd even gotten situated at the stand. He probably knew exactly what I had done.

Even if they had shown up and presented information, I was prepared to cast doubt on the state's case because the other guy - a bicycle - had run the red light which was why I was cited in the first place. I had looked up all the relevant statutory authority, definitions, and everything. Luckily, I didn't have to go that far.

A ticket is a heck of a lot more than the $150-200 fine up front - your insurance will go WAY up for the next five or seven years, costing you several thousand dollars over time. Fight every ticket, no matter how guilty you are. The cost of losing or pleading guilty is simply too high.

[Disclaimer: No, I'm not licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Call a local lawyer.]

Old 11-20-2012, 11:58 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmando93 View Post
I got a speeding ticket months back while i was at work. It was probably around 2am... I am a delivery driver and i was extremely late for a delivery at a hotel and my boss was blowing up my phone and telling me to hurry because they were going to cancel a 200$ order. He also said i was too slow and implemented that i wasn't suited for that job. Sure enough i begin to speed and a cop catches me at 83 mph. My court date passed and pleaded no guilty thinking i could explain this to the judge. My next court date is in a month and im hoping the cop doesn't show up, but anyway, do you guys think that that is a reasonable excuse or is the judge simply not gonna care?
If you think that is a reasonable excuse you shouldn't be driving.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I know of one instance where a friend won. He lived in Chicago and was essentially harrassed by a cop on New Years day and was given 5 citations for going 15 over the speed limit. He went to court and the cop didn't show up so he won. He had no choice and he wasn't going to deal with 5 citations

However, in my area of the country, I don't know of anyone who has won. If the cops show up, you pretty much lost. I can tell you that nothing is going to happen to that cop. Police officers are protected by the courts and their own people. It takes a lot for a police officer to get into trouble or to have something waived. Any cop who reads this will admit to it. Your best bet is to pay it and do traffic school

I too grew up in Chicagoland.
In my late teens and early 20's, I received MANY tickets (6-8ish). I've probably been to traffic school about 4 times.
EVERY time I went to court, the cop showed up. And most of the time, I did go to court (I want to say it was required). Most my tickets were for speeding. (never anything 'major') But one time in college, when I was broke as hell, I got three citations on one incident. I think the cop showed me mercy, by not arresting me, as I believe 3 citations is automatic arrest if the cop wants in IL. But this guy was still SUCH a jerk. I also think he may have been wrongly pulling people over in a beat that he shouldnt have been patrolling. AND, I Swear I was doing more like 10 mph over, and he put down 21 mph over. AND, I STILL have no idea how he radar gunned me with the Semi truck in between us.
This cop showed up to court of course, and I got fined more than I should have considering the situation. 2 of the 3 tickets stuck, as they threw out the third ticket. Then of course I screwed up, and missed the follow up court date, and they DOUBLED my fine. That hurt me financially so bad at the time.
After that situation, I stopped speeding for YEARS. Just wasn't worth it anymore.
Good luck, but if you are like me, the cop WILL show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive